Trolling Lake O

Mbocco

2 hours ago, genec said:

When I bought my yak I wish I had enough money free to buy the peddle type like u guys have!  My Wilderness System Rage is nice, but peddling would be a lot easier for fishing than paddling!

I can’t believe how much more I am enjoying fishing from the yak now that I have peddle power.  Definitely a purchase I’m glad I made. 

16 hours ago, genec said:

When I bought my yak I wish I had enough money free to buy the peddle type like u guys have!  My Wilderness System Rage is nice, but peddling would be a lot easier for fishing than paddling!

Same lol my yak is great for the small bodies of water that i fish that are quite shallow but peddle power would make trolling lake O a possibility and have much easier movement in the water. I have always wanted to try to get into some trout or salmon in lake ontario but its annoying to troll with a paddle lol.

37 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Kayak launching How are you guys getting on lake o right now? Anyway to get into Jordon harbor?

The conservation area is best.  Easier parking and way closer to the lake. 

I have not launched from Jordan yet this spring because the water temps have been higher near Grimsby. 

8 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

The conservation area is best.  Easier parking and way closer to the lake. 

I have not launched from Jordan yet this spring because the water temps have been higher near Grimsby. 

You going out today?

25 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

I believe so but wouldn’t you be bottom bouncing the harbour?

I was thinking bottom bouncing on the way down and running cranks on the way back up. 
probably won’t run two rods but I was just wondering if it was legal it not. 

1 minute ago, Tyler0420 said:

I was thinking bottom bouncing on the way down and running cranks on the way back up. 
probably won’t run two rods but I was just wondering if it was legal it not. 

I was trying to find it in the regs but can’t.  So I’m not 100% sure.  Generally when trolling in open water you can use 2 rods but I’m not sure if the harbour counts as open water.  

The way I read the regs.,  the harbour is in zone 20 where 2 rods are legal ....above the dam is area 16 ...only one rod . But I have heard area 20 starts beyond the inner lighthouse where the natural shoreline is on both sides but  they fish all year for trout .....so it's all zone 20 to me .

The current is fast there Tyler be careful .....

2 hours ago, Mbocco said:

Realistically you can’t troll there anyways.  You’d piss off so many shore guys as you dragged your lure across their lines.

You are right about that Bocco .....There's more space on the west side of the bay there , less current and easier to drift around in a yak .

6 hours ago, Its About Time said:

One rod in the Harbor

It is considered zone 20 part of Lake Ontario. 2 rods are allowed. If it was zone 16 all the people there fishing for trout are poaching. I checked this out before and it is zone 20 two rods if you are in your boat or kayak 

6 hours ago, Mbocco said:

Realistically you can’t troll there anyways.  You’d piss off so many shore guys as you dragged your lure across their lines.

I respect other anglers I wouldn’t be tangling with their lines. Stopped at Jordan and launched in the harbor since the lake didn’t look too bad. Went for a short trip west where all the rocks are at the shoreline(if you’re out that way I’m sure you know what I mean) wind was picking up so I headed in.  Dragged a worm around the harbor for 2 hours with no luck.  The wind switched to more coming from the south so I headed out again for a short trip before the wind was starting  to get crazy. Skunk day for me but I had a blast cruising around. 

smerch I think the fishing shut down with the cold we had. Couple guys fishing the harbor for carp n catts with no luck. I thought maybe I could get a sucker at least with a worm but no luck either.