Ultralights and Panfishin’

Ross

Hey everyone, first post here. I just started seriously fishing last august. Mainly targeting bass and pannies every now and then. Now that this is my first spring of trying to really fish hard I’ve decided to target panfish. Picked up some jigs and crappie plastics, and been down to Green Ribbon three times now but no dice... Is it too early for Crappie? That seems to be the popular spot right now. I was told to check out some of the creeks off the Welland River but I haven’t had a chance to get out that way yet. 

Anyways, I’m planning on buying an ultra light combo soon to get the most fun out of panfishin so I figured I’d see if any of you guys have any recommendations. 

What gear do you use for the little guys? 

13 hours ago, Ross said:

Anyways, I’m planning on buying an ultra light combo soon to get the most fun out of panfishin so I figured I’d see if any of you guys have any recommendations. 

Both Grimsby Tackle and Peters Tackle have a good selection of rods for every local species . I bought a very light 6'6" rod and use my Sahara 750 reel which I also use on my ice rods  with either 4 or 6# line . 

As stated above , a large pike , cat , etc. could be a challenge .... 

I actually use a youth 5’ugly stick combo(black/green) from crap tire for pannies and rec canal shore fishing. Feel everything and when I’m onto the bite I can hand it off to the kiddos and it’s not too much rod for them. Feel all those gobies no problem 😝 

Little 5-5'6" ultra lights can be a tonne of fun. True story, the biggest musky I ever seen, estimated at 58 pounds using the length x girth formula was caught by a friend on a 5' ultra light while crappy fishing the docks at chippawa marina. Used to run one for spots like Maid of the Mist where 1 pd smallies were nonstop. Hooked a few big summer holdover bows up there and quite challenging on light gear too... Had both 500 and 1000 series shimano reels on them. Another fun thing to do is use upper half of broken noodle/float rods re purposed into some awesome little ultra lights. Still have a few of those kicking around and a few laying in a corner waiting for a rebuild one day. I rarely fish panfish but really couldn't see the fun in dragging in bluegill on over gunned gear just because a pike may or may not be lurking nearby

15 hours ago, fishingking said:

I use a 6'6 med light set up with 6lb mono for pannies and its fine for some largies and stuff also but a toothy critter will likely snap you off at some point

Wayyyy back when I was a green angler ......I read stories of a guy catching a 6 foot musky using a 6ft.rod and 6 lb.line ....fought it for 6 hours and finally got it to shore .....it died on the way in....(rip)  :(

16 hours ago, Morwood80 said:

I actually use a youth 5’ugly stick combo(black/green) from crap tire for pannies and rec canal shore fishing.

I've never fished the rec, you know if its worth checking out this time of year? Thinking of spots to take the GF...

1 hour ago, steellee said:

I rarely fish panfish but really couldn't see the fun in dragging in bluegill on over gunned gear just because a pike may or may not be lurking nearby

That's kinda my outlook on it as well, would most likely only use it in small ponds/creeks anyways so the risk of something massive biting on would be low.

2 hours ago, steellee said:

.....True story, the biggest musky I ever seen, estimated at 58 pounds using the length x girth formula was caught by a friend on a 5' ultra light while crappy fishing the docks at chippawa marina....

You know what is said when a story starts off with "true story". 😄😉

5 hours ago, Ross said:

I've never fished the rec, you know if its worth checking out this time of year? Thinking of spots to take the GF...

Lots of panfish in there. Guys r probably setting up soon for shore fishing down at the flat water centre. Nice to fish before weeds take off. Bit of everything in there. 

Archived