SMELT?

rudekush

I watched a few video's on smelt fishing and one spot in Ashland Wisconsin show them using the long poles with cranks like we used in the 50's ...still getting nice smelt there .

This video shows them using a long 15' drag net in Minnesota  getting some good size smelt but one guy said the catches are smaller and the smelt are smaller in size now ..... and using long nets in Duluth , using an ice sled for container ! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1McWHpyQe4&ab_channel=WCCO-CBSMinnesota

Duluth smelt.PNG

2 hours ago, boogaloo said:

The annual Queenston zoo.

Were the crowds there last year Daniel ? Did they block access with the shutdown rules , maybe apply the same this year ?

I have been watching more video's from the U.S. side & it seems they can use large drag style nets ...didn't see any of those big circular throw nets which may be illegal there .

This video shows a group of Asian guys doing well and having a good time catching smelts . They have this little ritual of biting the head off a smelt and spitting it out . ( UGHHHH  ! 

Still getting some good size ones like used to get here at Port Dalhousie .....

This video is about 2017 Smelt Season, our second trip of the year on April 22, 2017. We were at Park Point, MN by the airport.

Smelt bite head off.PNG

Big smelt.PNG

I stay far away Bill LOL

It's more fun catching them through the ice Daniel ....in just 8 hours you have a nice dinner !  B)

I had to settle for haddock & chips today ....and it was excellent .   They were very busy there today !  

Cost me about 12 cents in gas .....   :rolleyes: ......

18 hours ago, smerchly said:

It's more fun catching them through the ice Daniel ....in just 8 hours you have a nice dinner !  B)

I got a bag of them in the freezer......about a dozen............enough for a sniff.😁

I got a bag of them in the freezer......about a dozen............enough for a sniff.😁

I have some in the freezer from last year ...covered them with water and will use them for catfish . 

I checked out Queenston launch last night around 8:30. I must be outta my mind. There were more than 50 vehicles down there. Just drove thru and didn't stop. More cars were coming in as I left..............Daniel

3 hours ago, boogaloo said:

I checked out Queenston launch last night around 8:30. I must be outta my mind. There were more than 50 vehicles down there. Just drove thru and didn't stop. More cars were coming in as I left..............Daniel

Gee. You think the smelt are in yet? :pardon:

I think I'll take drive down just to see. Maybe be less cars tomorrow?

It is nuts down there, and forget about social distancing, shoulder to shoulder. Most are of Asian descent and the guys I spoke to came all the way from Hamilton/Burlington. I left about 12 inches between myself and the guys beside me - 2 guys showed up and squeezed in. And the fish are not even in thick, left with about 40 before I did something stupid...🤬 

I've never heard of this smelt craze before actually, are they good eating? Do you just fry em up whole? They look like bait to me lol...

6 hours ago, мормышка said:

Looks like business as usual. No barriers (at 0830) and a few cars, 3 fishermen on the rocks. 2 pay parking kiosks top and bottom each.

Hmmmmm....so it's ok to have shoulder to shoulder crowds and we should stay home ? ......Hmmmmmm 

Were they wearing masks while dipping their nets ?  Is there a garbage pail there ? I bought some masks a few days ago at CANADIAN tire , supposed to wear only once then discarded . I didn't know until I opened the package of 20 , they are made in China ......NICE !  

55 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Hmmmmm....so it's ok to have shoulder to shoulder crowds and we should stay home ? ......Hmmmmmm 

Were they wearing masks while dipping their nets ?  Is there a garbage pail there ? I bought some masks a few days ago at CANADIAN tire , supposed to wear only once then discarded . I didn't know until I opened the package of 20 , they are made in China ......NICE !  

To be fair the smelt crowd probably left at day break. There were 5 vehicles total, 2 with trailers.

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Every one of those useless blue masks are made in China 

56 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

Every one of those useless blue masks are made in China 

Maybe they meant to wear all 20 together to get the utmost protection ..... very "ironic" they are made in China .......

Archived