April 2 Carp Trip

smerchly

Very chilly and brisk northerly winds , gave it a go for 2 hours in shallow muddy water , fishing from my van with rods  15' away ....using can corn and maize , but nothing happening ,not a bite . One small fish about 10-12" surfaced  , maybe a catfish .  I think the water needs to warm up more to get the fish feeding . I was going to try another spot but they did some road work and parking would be tricky ....and I was getting chilled . Came home , having a nice hot coffee !  Will get out more as the weather gets nicer .

....that on the left is a back door on the van which helped block the wind ....

carp day Apr.2, 2021.jpg

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Very chilly and brisk northerly winds , gave it a go for 2 hours in shallow muddy water , fishing from my van with rods  15' away ....using can corn and maize , but nothing happening ,not a bite . One small fish about 10-12" surfaced  , maybe a catfish .  I think the water needs to warm up more to get the fish feeding . I was going to try another spot but they did some road work and parking would be tricky ....and I was getting chilled . Came home , having a nice hot coffee !  Will get out more as the weather gets nicer .

carp day Apr.2, 2021.jpg

At least you gave it a try, Bill..............The sun was warm but the air is cold.........Nothing beats a cup or two of hot coffee.....................

2 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Nice to see you get out smerch. Today was nice in the sun but still chilly. I’m thinking Sunday I’ll get out. 

Sunday is supposed to be 15*C. and sunny ....looks like a good day to drop a line or three ....

The crowds will be out too so parking may be tough to find ....

I'm temped to go for cats  for a change .  ( worms , corn , liver , salted minnows , etc etc etc)

looks like a nice spot, just need the weather to make up its mind. These swings in temp are really frustrating. Might try and get out today myself thats if the wife doesnt have a honey do list 

There's nothing worse than having a nice day and the wife presents you with the "honey do this and honey do that " You need to learn how to sweet talk her !  My wife still has the "list" for the basement from 30 years ago ....It does have more charm now with all my fishing gear down there .......B)

On 4/4/2021 at 8:44 AM, smerchly said:

There's nothing worse than having a nice day and the wife presents you with the "honey do this and honey do that " You need to learn how to sweet talk her !  My wife still has the "list" for the basement from 30 years ago ....It does have more charm now with all my fishing gear down there .......B)

I am in need of some pointers Smerch! everytime I get ready to go, its like "oh ... but I thought we were doing this today.. "

55 minutes ago, DNorton said:

"oh ... but I thought we were doing this today.. "

She said " I thought " .....there's your opening .....and you say ,  I "meant" tomorrow  !!  Always check the weather before committing !   Check Google out for the book "101 Excuses to Fish"  . 

We need to clear our brain of clutter ,  it's a form of Zen , and helps us treat our lovely wives like Queens ....   :wub:

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

She said " I thought " .....there's your opening .....and you say ,  I "meant" tomorrow  !!  Always check the weather before committing !   Check Google out for the book "101 Excuses to Fish"  . 

We need to clear our brain of clutter ,  it's a form of Zen , and helps us treat our lovely wives like Queens ....   :wub:

Your wise beyond your years Smerch! thanks for the info its going right into the playbook, maybe just maybe get out fishing this week..lol

On 4/5/2021 at 8:43 PM, DNorton said:

Your wise beyond your years Smerch! thanks for the info its going right into the playbook, maybe just maybe get out fishing this week..lol

I play this song once in a while to keep me tuned up .....

Lots of laughs   (@2:27 lol) ...... the big payoff  :lol:

I like to read the comments  , great to see so many happy anglers  ......

Take note Nort   :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwRrKaq0IyY&ab_channel=BRADPAISLEYVEVO

Smerch is grinning today ....finally got into some carp !  I used 2 rods , one 12'carp rod with bait runner reel and a hair rig with 3/4 oz egg sinker , then tried corn directly on the hook ,  .....never caught a fish on it !!

The other rod (my old 8' salmon rod)  ....simple drop shot , 2 aberdeen long shank #4 hooks  , loaded with corn ...caught all 5 carp .  As expected one carp got tangled up with the second rod . The carp were very "frisky" to say the least. Had one double header , small carp & mud cat . Three carp were only 1 to 3 lbs , and 2 were a decent 7-8 lbs,

It was a gorgeous  day .....ran into Scott and Daniel  ....nice to see you guys !

...just a heads up ....the ticks are there !

the best 2 carp .....

first carp 2021.PNG

second carp 2021.PNG

3 hours ago, smerchly said:

Smerch is grinning today ....finally got into some carp !  I used 2 rods , one 12'carp rod with bait runner reel and a hair rig with 3/4 oz egg sinker , then tried corn directly on the hook ,  .....never caught a fish on it !!

The other rod (my old 8' salmon rod)  ....simple drop shot , 2 aberdeen long shank #4 hooks  , loaded with corn ...caught all 5 carp .  As expected one carp got tangled up with the second rod . The carp were very "frisky" to say the least. Had one double header , small carp & mud cat . Three carp were only 1 to 3 lbs , and 2 were a decent 7-8 lbs,

It was a gorgeous  day .....ran into Scott and Daniel  ....nice to see you guys !

...just a heads up ....the ticks are there !

the best 2 carp .....

first carp 2021.PNG

second carp 2021.PNG

Congrats smerch.  Well deserved,  you definitely put the time in! 

1 hour ago, Darryl L said:

Congrats smerch.  Well deserved,  you definitely put the time in! 

Thanks guys , it was like a summer day ...got a little burn on my face & neck .  

Oh yes ,  about the heads up for ticks ....... I hung my shirt on my bedroom door knob .....walked passed the door an hour later , saw this black dot on the white door panel 12" away from my shirt ....sure enough it was a friggin tick !  It went down the sink with hot soapy water !  So I had a shower and checked all clothing (turned inside out) . 

Time to declare war on these blood sucking bugs !   Next trip I'll take some tick spray ....tomorrow will be a thorough cleaning of my van (vaccum/spray)  .

here's that critter crawling on the sink vanity before giving it a nice hot soapy bath & flush ...... be careful guys ! 

TICK.jpg

7 hours ago, мормышка said:

Yeah, check your dogs.

Last week a guy was walking his young St.Bernard through the grasses there ....lots of hair to check there !

I have cleaned out and vacuumed the van  today ....will give it a few shots of deet spray and close it up tight ! 

Those ticks give me nightmares !!   :ph34r:

On 4/9/2021 at 7:24 PM, Bubba14 said:

Apparently I don't know how to post pics...

I clicked on to the pdf link but it will not show .....

Sometimes a mod can change  the format to show the pro in his element .....   :pardon:

Just read this about ticks ....some of it I wasn't aware ....

They do not need warm temperatures to be active  and the dog tick can cause other diseases I never heard of.....

A short informative read we should all know as the ticks move northward . They do crawl on the ground and up your skirt  !!   

https://www.healthing.ca/diseases-and-conditions/ticks-on-humans

Archived