Queenston is now Closed

NiagaraRiverFisher

Talked to the Niagara parks officers as they were kicking everyone out td including me ,they said it was because of the mass amounts of out of towner SMELT NETTERS  go figure lol , they were getting to many calls from concerned local citizens because of the lack of physical distancing, the Garbage everywhere , Fires, etc  , Thanks again SMELT NETTERS from out of town, thanks for trashing our home and ruining it for us locals again ! 🤬 

8 minutes ago, NiagaraRiverFisher said:

Talked to the Niagara parks officers as they were kicking everyone out td including me ,they said it was because of the mass amounts of out of towner SMELT NETTERS  go figure lol , they were getting to many calls from concerned local citizens because of the lack of physical distancing, the Garbage everywhere , Fires, etc  , Thanks again SMELT NETTERS from out of town, thanks for trashing our home and ruining it for us locals again ! 🤬 

Exact same thing as last year. Its pathetic. Put someone at the entrance, check ID, if your not local get out. EASY. I fear most boat launches will close again as a result of all the out of towners

33 minutes ago, Darryl L said:

Exact same thing as last year. Its pathetic. Put someone at the entrance, check ID, if your not local get out. EASY. I fear most boat launches will close again as a result of all the out of towners

Exactly it would be so easy ,  I asked them why they couldn't do that and he said Niagara Parks won't pay to man it and check ID's  lol and recently Niagara Parks took 12.8 million dollars of our tax dollars for free ! its the same BS clown circus every spring there, so sick of it .

13 minutes ago, NiagaraRiverFisher said:

Exactly it would be so easy ,  I asked them why they couldn't do that and he said Niagara Parks won't pay to man it and check ID's  lol and recently Niagara Parks took 12.8 million dollars of our tax dollars for free !

... and installed parking meters.   This is very unfortunate.  I’m not skipping this year’s shallow water salmon fishing.  I’ll launch my kayak off a rock if I have to. 

50 minutes ago, NiagaraRiverFisher said:

Exactly it would be so easy ,  I asked them why they couldn't do that and he said Niagara Parks won't pay to man it and check ID's  lol and recently Niagara Parks took 12.8 million dollars of our tax dollars for free ! its the same BS clown circus every spring there, so sick of it .

Somebody would complain about "racial profiling".

9 hours ago, Captain Hooksets said:

They need to do the same thing with port maitland. Out of towners pollute that pier, parking lot, launch and park.  Apparently buses drop everyone off there and pick them up at the end of the day. Not sure if there’s truth to that.....

I've seen the buses

19 hours ago, NiagaraRiverFisher said:

You mean the 12.8 million from the out of towners taxes don’t you? The garbage comes from locals as well as people from out of town and both should be ashamed of it. I suppose the used syringes and broken alcohol bottles are all from out of town people. As for wanting only locals to be able to use a certain area suck it up you live in Ontario and all public lands should be available to anyone that wants to use it. Don’t let the rest of Ontario turn into a lake simcoe no access to the water situation.  Anyone that purchased a fishing license has the same rights to fish any Ontario waters period. As for a bus dropping off people and picking them up I think that’s amazing if it is true just not during a lockdown. I just find it so great how people can say our area or our launches when we all live and pay the same taxes. Before anyone pipes up with local taxes that is nothing compared to the money received by the provincial or federal government. If you think you should be allowed to go to a launch that’s not private then other people should be allowed. If you think they shouldn’t go and should stay home maybe you should to. I hate all this my area doo-doo and whining. Other countries that have lockdowns use a distance rule from your home address for things like exercise or to get fresh air. Maybe that would solve the my area complaints and stop excuses such as I need to drive one hour to exercise or to catch a fish to feed my family. 

Right on about the garbage Steve . It comes from local anglers , out of town anglers and other non anglers as well . The MNR should put more focus in the reg book on keeping our spots clean . I  always look for discarded line and bring it home . I hope the bus loads of people have stopped during the covid rules ,  but we can't stop people from crowding a bank anywhere . I remember the days of trout opener at Thornbury ...insane crowds , people fishing over others , fights ,...and we didn't spend any money , just fished and went home .

The lock downs have got many  more people interested in camping , fishing , biking , canoeing , etc etc . Expect to see many more people at the waterfront . .....and there will be more garbage , so the cities need to hire people to clean it up.   

23 hours ago, Darryl L said:

On a technicality the only thing that can be looked at on your ID is picture/name and birthday, so that would mean nothing if someone knew their rights.

Freedom and rights come with responsibilities and right now IMO the factor in all of this is a pandemic which has only gotten worse because too many people tend to think of only themselves. If we followed proper protocols - mask wearing, social distancing , non essential cross regional travelling, limited gathering - a good many activities could still continue, but it appears we are not willing to do that. Try to see the bigger picture in all of this. This stage of the pandemic is far worse than the first when we seemed more willing to follow severe protocols, so why do we whine and wane during a stage that is much more contagious even affecting younger age groups?

I know that it's important to take steps to protect the beauty of Niagara and the surrounding areas, but it's a shame that we are limited to shore fishing spots in the region............For people that only fish from shore (like me), we can't afford to have any more fishing locations taken away from us....................

Pushing the fear is as follows:

"A DEADLY NOVEL VIRUS is sweeping the planet. NOBODY IS IMMUNE and there is NO CURE. ASYMPTOMATIC people are major drivers of disease. So we have to LOCKDOWN and WEAR MASKS until everybody is VACCINATED. Anybody who challenges this narrative is a danger to society."

I have watched anglers launch their boats at the SCGFA ramp and failed to see any danger of spreading covid . They keep a good distance from others as the launch , wear their masks until they are out on the water and nowhere near as close to others as on a bus or shopping for food at Walmart . By shutting down the boat ramps , more people will fish from shore .....shoulder to shoulder in some busy spots .  Fishing for me hasn't changed ....still fishing as usual in most spots where it's just me and my shadow.......:Gonefishing:

46 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I have watched anglers launch their boats at the SCGFA ramp and failed to see any danger of spreading covid . They keep a good distance from others as the launch , wear their masks until they are out on the water and nowhere near as close to others as on a bus or shopping for food at Walmart . By shutting down the boat ramps , more people will fish from shore .....shoulder to shoulder in some busy spots .  Fishing for me hasn't changed ....still fishing as usual in most spots where it's just me and my shadow.......:Gonefishing:

Looks like people were walking on the East pier and fishing on the West side below the dam on the new concrete slab at Port!  The new construction looks awesome but I think they were all still trespassing lol, I don't think its open yet but people are fed up being stuck at home, soo I think the law enforcement are closing their eyes out of good faith....  I hope people don't litter at Port when they open her up, otherwise we will end up like Bronte Pier!

We are our own worst enemies. Went to the beacon the other day to see how many boats were out in Lake Ontario. The old pirate ship is now covered in graffiti, nothing but garbage and empty beer bottles scattered all over the beach. It's no wonder why these places are starting to put up no trespassing signs everywhere. 

Screenshot_20210409-083929_Gallery.jpg

59 minutes ago, Darryl L said:

We are our own worst enemies

Not really "us" anglers who mostly keep our spots clean . Those "snowflake artists" have been doing this everywhere . Our permissive "liberal" society allows this crap to continue with little consequences . Much of the garbage there comes from "visitors" who either don't know any better ,  or don't give a rat's ass about the garbage. .....We certainly could use more plain clothes MNR  people .....and start the fines at $1000 .(money talks)  .

I would love to see it Smerch. I would even be willing to pay more for my fishing license to support it.

There just doesn't seem to be any interest in enforcing it to protect our access and environment. 

Education and changing peoples attitudes has been the focus and I agree to some degree that has worked but for the rest they only respond to repercussions for their actions. 

We both have probably carried a ton of garbage out of there over the years and it continues to accumulate. I applaud the person that put the garbage bins in and try's to manages those because it doesn't belong to the town.

7 hours ago, smerchly said:

Not really "us" anglers who mostly keep our spots clean . Those "snowflake artists" have been doing this everywhere . Our permissive "liberal" society allows this crap to continue with little consequences . Much of the garbage there comes from "visitors" who either don't know any better ,  or don't give a rat's ass about the garbage. .....We certainly could use more plain clothes MNR  people .....and start the fines at $1000 .(money talks)  .

The value of the fine has no meaning Smerch.  You need enforcement and the fines to be handed out.  It could be a million dollar fine for every cigarette butt tossed, however the lack of enforcement, people still would.

When there is no fear of enforcement , people will act accordingly , be it tossing garbage or stealing property , etc. . I would be looking over my shoulder or skyward before I tossed that butt or piece of trash . I've seen plenty of butts tossed from car windows so I would think the police have also witnessed that as well . If they pulled the car over and levied a $1000 fine , I think word (by WWW) would spread fast ......

As technology rapidly advances , the use of cams and drones will assist the law makers to catch more people trashing our lands .  They seem to be doing a better job on the US  side keeping their parks clean ....or is it they have people with more brains ......?

The government has been cutting the MNR budget for years, I think we still only have one or two CO's for the entire region. Not that our license fees have continued to rise though. In my 30 years of hunting and fishing I've seen one, not a great deterrent. The States seem to put more of a priority on hunting and fishing rites, enforcing the laws fully. If you trespass to hunt in most States you could get jail time, here basically nothing. Unfortunately our rites as outdoorsman are not a factor for our politicians. How long did it take to get the spring bear hunt back after they cancelled it with no evidence of anything? That being said this Covid thing is pretty horrible, still hate to loose another spring fishing season.

To all out of towners and locals:

How many times people park their cars and they do not pay at the new parking meter? I have seen only a couple - majority just stay there and chat or fish. As well out of towners bring additional money in the area to pay for gas, food etc. Do we need to stop everyone and not allow them to travel at all? 

No fines will help at Queenston or elsewhere. Let's just be kind and polite and enjoy the fishing and not turn it into a political game and a fight. Just to be honest and clean after ourselves every time. 

Thank you guys