New to kayak fishing

Tyler0420

I just drove by Foran’s and yes they are still open.  I always ask before I launch there (keeps my feet dry) and offer to pay and they always say no problem as long as it isn't busy.  I just live around the corner so usually have my wife drop me off so no car in their lot either. I think I’m going to give it another go tomorrow if the wind and weather cooperates. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:Good thing I didn’t get rid of my trolling rods and gear. Some old rod/reels but they should still do the job. 

I use my bait runner reels for trolling. Large capacity, smooth drags, and the bait runner feature is great for letting line out in a controlled manner with no tangles or hooks wrapped around the hooks. 

18 hours ago, Steve_Guelph said:

And don’t forget the whistle to make it legal. Where are we meeting up Tuesday? If you are interested Guelph Lake makes for a good test paddle with very easy access to the water. 

Guelph might be a little far. I get off at 330 and have to pick my gf up at 4. Then it’s over an hour to Guelph.  I was thinking Waterford ponds maybe.  I’ll let ya know Tuesday what’s up. 

What are you guys using for checking the winds?

gotta work nights now tonight so I’m going to get my yak in the morning and going out around noon I hope. 

do these things need to be put together when buying new?

14 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

gotta work nights now tonight so I’m going to get my yak in the morning and going out around noon I hope. 

Other than the seat which you generally remove for transport anyways, they come ready to go.  

I live right near the lake so I use my eyes mostly.  However any weather app will give you wind speed and direction.  Any consistent wind above 15km from any northerly direction is usually trouble on Lake O....especially from the northeast.  I find the fishing is best however with wind from northerly directions.  

Strong south winds above 20km can also be dangerous as it makes it hard to get back home.  Having a peddle drive makes it way easier though!

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

I use the wind finder app. 

Picked up the kayak today(old town topwater 120 Pdl) and took it out for a rip. 1st time on a yak and the thing felt flawless.  Easy to operate and loved casting the shoreline floating down the lake. Peddle drive system is super smooth and love the instant reverse on it. Winds were gusting 40km and peddling into the wind was a breeze. Can’t wait to get back out. 

6907521F-1F4F-4D91-9C81-4A79113A3B04.jpeg

97F44633-6D52-41E1-BB31-3F2EEDAA8C61.jpeg

I noticed the red flag in the front. Most people put the nose of the kayak in the truck bed first and have the backend sticking out so the rotor doesn’t get damaged plus it makes it easier when launching into the water or a wet launch I guess they call it. Let me know when you guys are going out trolling the Shoreline in Grimsby and maybe we can hook up.

3 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

I’m off Wednesdays.  This next one looks terrible.  Maybe the next one?  Could be into salmon by then. 

Calling for 5-10 cm of the white stuff !  Nothing new ....3 years ago , Apr. 15 we had about 5-6" of snow . Just when you think it's over .....it ain't over ..... .hope the cool down doesn't turn off the bite . 

21 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Calling for 5-10 cm of the white stuff !  Nothing new ....3 years ago , Apr. 15 we had about 5-6" of snow . Just when you think it's over .....it ain't over ..... .hope the cool down doesn't turn off the bite . 

It certainly shut the crappie bite down yesterday. 

30 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

I’m off Wednesdays.  This next one looks terrible.  Maybe the next one?  Could he into salmon by then. 

I’m retired so most weekdays work for me. Next Wednesday I am free all morning until about 1 pm. It is calling for a south wind which is good but the wind gust shows 54km. Let’s see as it gets closer. I would definitely meet up if the weather cooperates. 

4 hours ago, Steve_Guelph said:

I noticed the red flag in the front.

That’s the way the guy said to load it when I picked it up. I’ll switch it around for now on. I was thinking the same about the rudder.  
im on nights for the next two weeks so I’m good to fish any days during the week. The weekend I’ll probably be roofing. 

14 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

That’s the way the guy said to load it when I picked it up. I’ll switch it around for now on. I was thinking the same about the rudder.  
im on nights for the next two weeks so I’m good to fish any days during the week. The weekend I’ll probably be roofing. 

That’s funny Cam at Fogh Marine wanted me to load it like that also. 

1 hour ago, Steve_Guelph said:

That’s funny Cam at Fogh Marine wanted me to load it like that also. 

Maybe because it keeps the heavy end inside the bed of the truck and there’s a tie down spot at the front to connect to the hitch. I was thinking of putting a block of wood or something against the back of the truck to keep the rudder from getting crunched. 

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

If we get out Wednesday what baits will you guys use? I’ll start Prepping. 

One of my rods will run a deep dive crankbait (25ft dive) and I’ll run that 75-100ft back.   Most of my fish have been caught on Berkley Flicker Minnow in either green or blue alewife.  I have a snap weight that I’ll add if I need to fish deeper but rarely is that needed.  

My other rod has lead core, so I’ll throw out a couple colours, add a snap weight if required, and start with a trolling spoon.  I usually end up running crankbaits on both rods as the spoons haven’t been catching for me. 

I don’t bring a lot of stuff so I’m not tempted to constantly change my bait. I try to focus on the where and just trust that my crankbaits are good. 

42 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

One of my rods will run a deep dive crankbait (25ft dive) and I’ll run that 75-100ft back.   Most of my fish have been caught on Berkley Flicker Minnow in either green or blue alewife.  I have a snap weight that I’ll add if I need to fish deeper but rarely is that needed.  

My other rod has lead core, so I’ll throw out a couple colours, add a snap weight if required, and start with a trolling spoon.  I usually end up running crankbaits on both rods as the spoons haven’t been catching for me. 

I don’t bring a lot of stuff so I’m not tempted to constantly change my bait. I try to focus on the where and just trust that my crankbaits are good. 

I also run two rods. I run deep diving crank baits in different colours. Depending on depth if I want something a little shallower I run a spoon but in most cases crank baits in various colours. One tackle tray will easily hold enough variety. I also bring a net and I bring a lip grip to keep safe from multiple treble hooks flying around. I agree with less is best when in the yak.

On another note my rods are 7’ only. I find if I use a longer rod it’s almost impossible to land a fish because you can’t get it close to the kayak. I also like the rod to be long enough to clear the front of the yak if the fish decides to run under the kayak and switch sides. 

Archived