April 19 Carping

smerchly

It was a blowy day but I decided to go carping anyway . Started with 2 rods ....one 12' carp rod with maize/hair rig , egg sinker , other rod , 10'6" Okuma with a float ,small bell sinker and can corn .....nothing happening for nearly an hour . The I hear a car door and Bubba14 appears . "Any luck"  ?   I said "not even a bite" Then the light float rod starts to bounce !  After a somewhat short battle considering the lighter line (10 lbs), and having a handy net man ,  it came in at about 11 lbs , my biggy of the year !  

I caught another one on the same rod about 15 minutes later after Bubba left ....it was scrappier for its smaller size at about 7-8 lbs.. Got 3 more little carp thingies about 1 lb.average ,  scrappy little guys !  Got a few nice cats as well ,all on canned corn ...the maize didn't appeal to them for some reason ,they seem to lIke the scent from fresh canned corn which I would change every 10 minutes if no bites . Picked up a little line and 2 worm boxes among several beer cans. Some "environ mental ist  didn't want to toss his butts and thoughtfully put them inside a worm box ! NICE !  :rolleyes:

A few shots .....Bubba14 took the first shot with his phone .....last shot , damaged carp ?   

CARP.PNG

Carp 2.PNG

small carp damaged.PNG

Butts in box.PNG

7 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Nice looking carp smerch. That last pic must be some type of Rudd. Don’t think it’s a carp. Looks like catfish bait. 

Not a rudd Tyler . I remember Mike Pike (hello Mike) ,  posted a good explanation of those carp-like fish . He said they are a carp hybrid of some sort .  Aquarium goldfish and coy have been released in various places and can grow quite large . These carp I caught have a "hump back" and large scales , unlike the rudd . I'd like to get a positive I.D. on those scrappy buggers .

1 hour ago, мормышка said:

Just think if you didn't go out. You'd be day dreaming an outing like you had. :Gonefishing:

Lyrics
What a day for a daydream
What a day for a daydreamin' boy
And I'm lost in a daydream
Dreamin' 'bout my bundle of joy…    :)

Been doing some searching on the www  and found this old thread from CAG . First post was started by Hammercarp  (Lorne Morley) who was my mentor who got me started into carping .....great man ,R.I.P. 

This was back in 2012 and Lorne caught a very large " hybrid carp" . ...some info about them , and they seem to be able to flourish well in our climate . They seem to have a resemblance to the Buffalo carp ,and as seen here in the photos , they can be close to 10 lbs ....I'll have to look a little closer at my carp catches .....

https://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/index.php?/topic/47445-xtra-large-hybrid/

Today was a bust ! Skunk ! Not a bite !  Gusty winds , & MUCKY !  

And my corn stunk ....think it was in the fridge too long . ...maybe the fish knew......

After 3 hours with 3 rods in the water (since they were not biting) I  gave it up .

The water has cooled down and may have put off the bite .

I had some company ....a lone cormorant (got busted too) ,and this heron landed in a tree about 100 meters away , spent 2 hours preening in the tree then decided to go fishing below the tree . I think it got skunked too ,  took off to dine elsewhere  ......

Heron in tree.PNG

52 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Today was a bust ! Skunk ! Not a bite !  Gusty winds , & MUCKY !  

And my corn stunk ....think it was in the fridge too long . ...maybe the fish knew......

After 3 hours with 3 rods in the water (since they were not biting) I  gave it up .

The water has cooled down and may have put off the bite .

I had some company ....a lone cormorant (got busted too) ,and this heron landed in a tree about 100 meters away , spent 2 hours preening in the tree then decided to go fishing below the tree . I think it got skunked too ,  took off to dine elsewhere  ......

Heron in tree.PNG

Glad I wasn't the only one. I didn't have a single bite at Gibby either. I only lasted an hour with the wind thou.

2 hours ago, Mbocco said:

There’s always next time  

That's what I said to the fish as I was leaving ... NEXT TIME you buggers  !   :angry:

1 hour ago, Darryl L said:

Glad I wasn't the only one. I didn't have a single bite at Gibby either. I only lasted an hour with the wind thou.

I sat inside the side door on my  van to keep out of the wind , so I got a few hours in ....but the wind was blowing into shore , so I set the rod tips about 6" off the water which helps stop them from bouncing .