Parking Meters ?

smerchly

Are meters going in at Queenston for people using the ramp ?  The new meters are very costly and many have been damaged elsewhere and must be replaced . It seems our local governments want to recoup losses caused by tax revenues from the c19 ...

Today they announced they want to install meters at our local beaches , like Lakeside Park and Sunset Beach . Last year hoards of people came from other cities and parked all over Port Weller streets , leaving trash , etc.They will charge $3 per hr, with a 3 hr. limit , which is too short .

If the c19 is still going strong , will they let people use the beaches ?

https://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/local-st-catharines/news/2021/04/20/parking-changes-could-be-on-the-horizon-at-st-catharines-beaches.html

Anglers who want to fish from the west pier ...good luck finding a place to park . People bring their kids to ride the carousel or enjoy the park , eat at the new pavilion , and beach ....they will need a lot of meters .

I have enjoyed Port Dalhousie since the early 50's . ....one for the history book now......

Paid parking is required for the beaches, BLOG TO ran an article last year YOU NEED TO SEE THESE BEACHES and that led to an influx of TO people, much like their article around hiking Morningstar Mill, boom instant explosion in Toronto people coming down here.

Having gone down to Sunset Beach a few times ... it is an absolute shitshow of parking with people having no clue how to drive or park, combined with the city installing new washroom facilities.  Unfortunately when demand exceeds supply, it is ripe for parking fees and COVID has driven this.  For beach parking, it isn't about recouping losses but trying to gain some control over the madness that went on last year.  To a Niagara resident they will female dog about $10 ... to someone from Toronto they will gladly pay it.  Much like parking around Morningstar Mill last year, that $100 fine is a joke to a carload of Toronto people where you are looking at $20 to $40 bucks per vehicle for special event parking in the GTA, five people in the car and they each chip in $20 to pay the ticket for a day of wandering around away from the concrete jungle.

11 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Anglers who want to fish from the west pier ...good luck finding a place to park . People bring their kids to ride the carousel or enjoy the park , eat at the new pavilion , and beach ....they will need a lot of meters .

I have enjoyed Port Dalhousie since the early 50's . ....one for the history book now......

Yes that area is ruined now with all the condos going in. They are expensive luxury condos that most of us probably can’t afford. With  all the new people moving into the condos there will be little room for visitors to enjoy the beach and I wouldn’t be surprised if they ban fishing from the piers. The new development at Prudhomes in Vineland will limit the shoreline access too. With all the urbanization of the small towns and farmland there will be few places to for shore fishing.

All the housing between P.Dalhousie and Port Weller was farmland when I was a kid ....excellent soil to grow fruit , etc. I picked strawberries at Lakeshore & Lake St. area (now housing and shopping mall )  ...also picked sweet cherries at a farm on Lakeshore Rd. near Lake St.,and bought my first car with the money (50 Pontiac, torpedo back), drove it off the lot for $75 !  

As snags said T.O.people like coming here , and they have the bucks to go anywhere ,fine  or no fine ....I think it's called population explosion which is the source of most of our ills today .....

Today is EARTH DAY !    Grow a tree or two ,then cut them down to make way for a condo or three .... more money to be made from a parking meter than a peach tree......:closedeyes:

23 minutes ago, Steve_Guelph said:

I haven’t travelled that way in a little while so is the whole west side shut down for fishing? Can you still access it at this time or the east wall only? Maybe time to bring the kayak and fish the west side.

There is still a lot of construction work and cleanup going on at both sides .They do not want  crowds there yet . ...maybe all summer if the c19 numbers don't drop enough.....  

43 minutes ago, Steve_Guelph said:

Is it fishable by boat?

I'm quite sure the ramp is still open ....

ST. CATHARINES GAME AND
FISH ASSOCIATION

61 Lighthouse Road
St.Catharines, ON
L2N 7P4

905-937-6335
scgameandfish@gmail.com

7 hours ago, Steve_Guelph said:

I haven’t travelled that way in a little while so is the whole west side shut down for fishing? Can you still access it at this time or the east wall only? Maybe time to bring the kayak and fish the west side.

I was thinking of taking my yak there tomorrow and drifting the harbor.