Jump to content


Recommended Posts

rececently added a minn kota to my bow, but unsure of how or what setting to use on ipilot control to enable bow motor to steer only as my 30hp tiller propels the boat while trolling..??

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use mine manually just adjusting with remote until I'm happy with the bearing I'm on. I use mine more to counteract the affects of a head or cross wind when trolling. With the auto track and other features I'm sure there are more advanced ways of doing it, but this works for me. You'd really have to play with it getting the tiller set up to track in a straight line or they would always be fighting each other.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats really easy. I lock up my tiller straight,then engage auto pilot on the ipilot remote( the icon should have no circle around it.the circle denotes advanced auto pilot). Then i set the speed about 2 or 3. Using left or right turn buttons,i line up my course! If you want to change course,just adjust right or left.auto pilot will then lock on the new heading! Its all in the manual! Cheers!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep main straight. I use the heading button which has a “N” push and hold till the N on the screen gets a circle around it, and after a cpl seconds disappears. It will keep you moving in the direction you’re pointed. You can change direction any time by just turning the minnkota . It works really well. The stronger the current the more power you’ll need to maintain your heading.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Gil said:

Thats really easy. I lock up my tiller straight,then engage auto pilot on the ipilot remote( the icon should have no circle around it.the circle denotes advanced auto pilot). Then i set the speed about 2 or 3. Using left or right turn buttons,i line up my course! If you want to change course,just adjust right or left.auto pilot will then lock on the new heading! Its all in the manual! Cheers!

thanks Gil that would be "legacy " mode.when in this mode if my sog is adjusted will my bow mtr come on only to stay on course or is it constantly running?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Gil said:

Thats really easy. I lock up my tiller straight,then engage auto pilot on the ipilot remote( the icon should have no circle around it.the circle denotes advanced auto pilot). Then i set the speed about 2 or 3. Using left or right turn buttons,i line up my course! If you want to change course,just adjust right or left.auto pilot will then lock on the new heading! Its all in the manual! Cheers!

How long will your minn kota be able to steer you using a 12v say group 29 series battery? Can you go all day or just a few hours ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Darryl L said:

How long will your minn kota be able to steer you using a 12v say group 29 series battery? Can you go all day or just a few hours ?

Hey Daryl motor brand new 12v group 27 batt. probably allday but too many factors ie speed setting,duration,wind,current,weight of load in boat etc.Manual doesn't really say how to and ive call minn kota 3 times and all 3 techs told me its not what the motor is for and had never heard of such a practice lol.I know guys are doing it ,have been for years .I know i can steer manually but would prefer if it could be done automatically so as to concentrate more on putting fish on the deck thnks 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Row dog said:

Hey Daryl motor brand new 12v group 27 batt. probably allday but too many factors ie speed setting,duration,wind,current,weight of load in boat etc.Manual doesn't really say how to and ive call minn kota 3 times and all 3 techs told me its not what the motor is for and had never heard of such a practice lol.I know guys are doing it ,have been for years .I know i can steer manually but would prefer if it could be done automatically so as to concentrate more on putting fish on the deck thnks 

Yes exactly what I was thinking. Perfect for getting all the rods set up, checking lines, and landing fish

Link to post
Share on other sites

I also love using my iPilot to troll. Tiller or kicker motor shouldn't make a difference as others have explained, it's all about propelling straight with the gas motor and then doing the steering with the remote. It really helps in bad cross chop as your boat will stay on a straight path without being pushed off course by waves hitting the bow.

 

As for running it all day, I have a 36v system for my 112lb terrova on my 2025 Pro V and never run out of juice. Sometimes I'm doing 10 hours of trolling too so I think it really just depends on the strength you're running it, battery health...and of course the wind as to if you can make it last all day. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to use the auto pilot to steer you in a strait line, I put my main motor in gear and position it strait, with Ipilot down set on 2,3.4 push the ( N ) on your remote., true Strait, hold the the N button down, the circle will vanish around the (N)

If you want to change directions use the arrows left or right on your remote.

This works great trolling by yourself.

Edited by Fish Farmer
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


×
×
  • Create New...