Lake Ontario early bass season

Tyler0420

I was out crappie fishing a few days ago and can tell you the small mouth bass are bedding. The water was very clear and I could see so many bass just waiting to attack anything that come close. I personally don’t pull bass from their beds but I am sure if you target them you will have a slam fest. 

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Do they spawn out on the lake or more in the bays/harbors?

if their on the beds then I’ll leave them there. There’s other species to fish. 

The erie creeks i have been steelheading last few days are absolutely loaded with smallies right now. Cant keep them off in some pools and i just walk away... by the time bass opener hits you wont find one in the creek or nearby lake

They do that in NYS side Lake Erie, where you'd be allowed 1 fish. Its not like all bass are nesting  shallow at the same time plus its pretty early for nesting. Usually early June when the shallows start to flourish. Go deeper you should be fine. If you fish for pike / walleye which open as well, you can risk catching a bass, so what do you do then?

12 hours ago, DNorton said:

Call me a rookie or uninformed, but why is there an early bass season this year? is this something new? Im not interested in pulling bass off beds so im kinda confused as to why its open early.

Yes it’s new this year. Jan 01- may 10 early bass season zone 20