Fishing Knot

smerchly

Some spots I fish for carp have rocky shore lines and steep drop offs .  So I have added a 10 ft. mono leader , 30# test to help avoid line fraying . My 20# braid frays easily if it contacts rocks at the top of the drop offs . I didn't have a problem yesterday with the heavy mono lead ....I spent some time today looking at knots to join heavy mono to braid with the smallest knots that cast through the guides easily . I will test this knot tomorrow , using my vise for the "bait side" , until the knot breaks . I test many knots this way ....

I want a knot that is not bulky , especially for the 30# mono . This video looks like it's what I'm looking for , anyone have a favorite knot for this application ? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEZRt_ADuhU&ab_channel=RegzFishingTv

It looks like that "GT" knot is pretty much a uni with less turns on the main line which would make it less bulky. I wonder if it is as strong? There you go Bill, a little experiment for you today. I shall await the results...

30 minutes ago, Gil said:

Bill, i use the Alberto knot. Very strong,and small!

Screenshot_20210425-072054_Chrome~2.jpg

Gil , I just tied one similar to that knot .... I don't want to have a knot in the 30# mono to 20lb. braid . That knot is good ...no knot on the mono and strong .

I tested this knot using my vise and pliers to pull it to the breaking point ....the braid broke about 2" up the line , not at the knot . I do not want my line to break at this knot to have a fish 10 ft of 30# mono in it's mouth so my hook leader will be 17lb and break off there first .

They said this the Albright knot.......very quick to make with cold hands ......

Tyler....the double uni is a good knot but more time and tricky fingers involved ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeQhUYp2jIc&ab_channel=MasWalang

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Gil , I just tied one similar to that knot .... I don't want to have a knot in the 30# mono to 20lb. braid . That knot is good ...no knot on the mono and strong .

I tested this knot using my vise and pliers to pull it to the breaking point ....the braid broke about 2" up the line , not at the knot . I do not want my line to break at this knot to have a fish 10 ft of 30# mono in it's mouth so my hook leader will be 17lb and break off there first .

They said this the Albright knot.......very quick to make with cold hands ......

Tyler....the double uni is a good knot but more time and tricky fingers involved ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeQhUYp2jIc&ab_channel=MasWalang

I’ll have to try this Alberto knot also. 

3 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

I’ll have to try this Alberto knot also. 

I tied a few and tested them for strength and slippage . It's a great knot ...need a couple of extra thumbs but I will be using it . Thanks Gill ...I knew a good fly tier would know some good knots ! 

Thanks to all who gave their input into this ,  we need to know some good knots ! 

You agree as well Dave ?    B)

30# mono to 15# braid ....line broke at the braid to the right of picture  ..

(Screen shot )   :)

Gill's Knot.PNG

3 hours ago, Mbocco said:

That’s a nice one for sure but if you can master the FG it is twice as thin and stronger based on line tests.  

I checked out a few videos on the FG and one would need lots of "patients"  and  know their surgeons knots as well ...

No surgeons knot needed.  Just a finger trap type knot and some simple hitch knots to finish it.  When I first saw it, I said ... “no way, are you serious”.  It looked so complicated.  Then I tried it and was amazed.  

1 hour ago, Fish Farmer said:

Now the problem is remembering it

Remember the "string tied on the finger"  ?  

You can use braid too .....    :P

The knot I have been using is just a smerch knot . It has held up against a few carp but I don't like the knot in the 30# fluorocarbon line. I simply made an "8" knot (loose) then ran the braid through it and did several wraps around the mono and a double hitch . It has proven to work but is not smooth going through the guides .

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Remember the "string tied on the finger"  ?  

You can use braid too .....    :P

The knot I have been using is just a smerch knot . It has held up against a few carp but I don't like the knot in the 30# fluorocarbon line. I simply made an "8" knot (loose) then ran the braid through it and did several wraps around the mono and a double hitch . It has proven to work but is not smooth going through the guides .

Hay Smerch, what ever works bud, as long as we can still put a line in, thats all that counts.👍:D

2 hours ago, GREYHAWK said:

Definitely the FG knot. Check out YouTube for easy to tie FG knot applications. There are several. All work well.

It looks good ....there's 2 well done videos that show the easiest way to do the FG  knot .

I spent some time in the yard today , put new braid on my smaller carp bait runner , then added 10' of new 30# florocarbon to each rod . I did the Alberto knot on both rods and checked them for strength & slippage ....I used 10 wraps of the braid as I found a little slippage with 8 wraps . (better than the SF8  (smerch figure 8)  !

I'll practice doing the FG until it is firmly implanted in the old noggin....if my eyes and fingers can work together ....

3 hours ago, Mbocco said:

It took me a bit but once I got it it was mint.  Key point is tension on the braid.  Everything else is just preference.

I wanted to use a float set up for one of the carp rods . After tying a lovely Alberto knot (30# floro to 20 lb.braid) , I forgot about the float !! Test time  !!  I slowly pulled the knot until the line snapped , and the braid broke 2 inches from the Alberto knot .  I was happy with the result . And as you said Bocco , steady tension with the braid ....

I tied the other carp rod the same using 30# floro to the 20# mono on the reel .....only needed 7 turns as there was no slippage after I secured it very tight . I usually burn the tags to form a hard ball in case of slippage...

Tight lines .....I hope !   :Gonefishing:

1 hour ago, Gil said:

Bill, i use 10 wraps on the alberto! Also,scrape the coating off the braid pulling between thumbnail and fingernail! Alberto does this!

Thanks for the tips Gil . I did use 10 wraps (tight) with the braid to mono . I noticed the new braid has a slick to it . The mono to mono seems to stick to itself and I didn't have any slippage as I tightened the knot . After I trim the ends , I burn the tips which puts a hard mushroom on the tips.

The real test will take place tomorrow ......carp beware !  .