Relocating

bigugli

Our grandaughter rents a house about 1 km from us and pays $2000 a month plus all utilities and cable ....House prices have gone nuts and rents increased as well . Not sure if the pandemic is to blame , but many  who have lost their jobs will not be able to afford to pay as other prices go up as well .

I'll keep an eye out for you Bruce ,  looks like they may extend the lock down for another month and that won't help you find a place .

I think some landlords will take advantage of the "times" , kick people out , then double the rents . There are people who will "share" the rent  .....

I am very fortunate to have no mortgage , just pay the bills (and repairs)....

Good luck Bruce .

11 hours ago, smerchly said:

I think some landlords will take advantage of the "times" , kick people out , then double the rents . There are people who will "share" the rent  .....

I am very fortunate to have no mortgage , just pay the bills (and repairs)....

Good luck Bruce .

We bought a duplex a few yrs back that had both units rented out.

I can tell ya from experience, it’s not easy to get tenants out even when the regulations are on your side!! I can’t imagine it’s very easy when you just want to “take advantage of the times”. 
Im sure there are some that will cash in on the house value increases, but I’m not sure I would consider that wrong?

I'm sure "most" landlords are fair , and there's plenty of bad tenants . About  30 yrs.ago I invested in a triplex with a partner . I did some of the maintenance , inside and outside . Most tenants were good and some skipped out without paying 2 months rent . We won in court but never collected a dime.....I sold out to my partner who now has over a 100 rental units .   It must be tough for both landlords and tenants during these times  & job losses . Most available places to rent want a months payment in advance . Coming up with 4 grand to get a decent place can be tough .