Caught Grandma today

smerchly

I headed out a little late , got there about 10:15 ...chummed with maize & used can corn for bait , one hair rig ,other with corn on the hook .

About 30 min. later I had a hit ,just a few pulls ,then the alarm screamed . I knew I had a good one , had a peek a few times and thought I have my first over 20 lb.carp of the year .

As it came closer I was thinking i might have another 30 #  plus like I caught there a few years back .....

When I netted it I knew it was the biggest carp ever for this old dude !  

I could hardly lift it over the small bank , then got the digi scale out ,  removed the handle from my 2lb.6 oz.net and needed both hands on the scale to lift it !

The numbers went up...past 20#  ,then 30# and finally read 38 lbs. 12 oz .  I was shakin !!   lol

The final weight is 36 lbs.  6 oz. ......also caught a 17 lb.30 minutes later ...then it slowed right down to a couple of bumps.....This is my largest fish ever caught !

This carp is 36 " long and is a nice hefty old girl . She will be back at 40 lbs next year ...I left her a pound of maize to munch .....

click the picture to enlarge ......

36lb.6 oz.carp.jpg

Thanks guys , I broke another record too .....  Before I left I sprayed my clothing and Tilley hat with apple cider vinegar (with the mother ) and when I got back to my van I removed 5 ticks , and had one on my neck when I was setting up my lines . They are bad everywhere this year !  I'll be getting some strong deet  ( destroy every evil tick ) ...very soon !  

16 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Thanks guys , I broke another record too .....  Before I left I sprayed my clothing and Tilley hat with apple cider vinegar (with the mother ) and when I got back to my van I removed 5 ticks , and had one on my neck when I was setting up my lines . They are bad everywhere this year !  I'll be getting some strong deet  ( destroy every evil tick ) ...very soon !  

I must of been lucky. I fished there twice with no ticks. Hopefully they don’t like me 

7 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

I must of been lucky. I fished there twice with no ticks. Hopefully they don’t like me 

I heard you eat a lot of garlic ..... makes it easy to "physical distance too ...:)  

There are some monsters around. I've caught a few 40"+ specimens here in Niagara. Peanut helped to chase one of them in at CDP.  Congrats on the pig.

As for the ticks...   A mild winter means an abundance of the nasty critters.

The big  40 is on the list Bruce . I've heard there are 40+ carp in the lake .

Dam.....I just picked out another freakin tick out of the hair on the back of my head ....beware Ty , you have a lot more hair than I  !   :unsure:

"They" say that hot sunny weather causes them to dehydrate and die .... come forth global warming !!

4 hours ago, Bubba14 said:

That is a real beauty for sure Bill!! What setup were they liking, the hair rig or the hook?

She took the hair rig with the "loop" . I  loaded it with 6 kernels of can corn and squeezed a 1/4" piece of a dried weed stem for the stopper .  

The other carp hit the 2nd rod with corn directly on the hook . 

When I hooked both carp I dropped the tip of the other rod into the water ( with the back drag open in case the carp tangles with the other line , it won't drag the rod into the drink  , and It did cross over that line 

4 hours ago, boogaloo said:

Great catch Bill. And, you were right, the picture gained a few pounds when I clicked on it. LOL..........Daniel

If I click it twice it fills my screen Daniel ...looks like a beluga ......   :bb2:

BTW  my new mat is a piece of exercise mat  cut to 24" x 36"  ...it does the job !

Thank you Mike . Sometimes my "experimental"rigs are crude and need some finishing touches !  I used 10 lb.mono to make the loops for the hair rigs ...easy to make and  then tied  17 lb.test mono over the loop . I will also use the maize this way for quick re-baiting .  I have used a short piece of elastic band for the stopper . 

I hope you are having some good fishing !     :Gonefishing:

That lady looked very preggo  or she just ate a big channel cat  lol 

She is 6 years older now Dan ,  should be 40 lbs now !! 

I may head back tomorrow looking for her big sister !

I just got back from Wally M. & got some tick spray with 25 % deet ....and of course , a can of Green Giant corn ! 

8 hours ago, fishingking said:

Nice carp smerch!

Looks ok to me  ....  B)....

At the top right corner of your posts there's 3 dots   ...click on it and you can edit your post .

Thanks for your comment fishingking ....heading back there this morning .   :Gonefishing: