Caught Grandma today

smerchly

On 5/12/2021 at 7:40 PM, smerchly said:

Thanks guys , I broke another record too .....  Before I left I sprayed my clothing and Tilley hat with apple cider vinegar (with the mother ) and when I got back to my van I removed 5 ticks , and had one on my neck when I was setting up my lines . They are bad everywhere this year !  I'll be getting some strong deet  ( destroy every evil tick ) ...very soon !  

Congrats Smerch that's one hell of a large chunky one.

I was over at Jordan last night for a couple of hours and picked 4 ticks off my clothes after walking over to the spot. Then felt my skin crawling as I sat there waiting for a bite and found 3 more on me. They are out in force this year and was just as bad walking back to the car. 

2 hours ago, steelshady said:

Congrats Bill.!  I am just going over my carp gear since I am almost done trout fishing.  Can you post your maize recipe? Thanks,

Tim

Not much of a recipe for maize Tim ,  I  put  about 8 lbs into my stainless pot & let sit in the sun for 24 hrs or more to soften it ,then under the propane heater outside and bring to a boil , then simmer for about 20 min, while stirring every 10 min. or so, bringing the bottom corn to the top . Then turn off the heat and let cool down for an hour or so . ...need to watch the corn for splitting if over cooked . Then I put it in 2 lb,lots in large baggies with crushed pineapple , or your choice of flavours ....and into the freezer . I use it both chumming (with oat/cream corn mix) and on the hair rigs.

1 hour ago, Bass-turd said:

Wow unbelievable catch congrats, we’re very blessed with plenty of great carping spots around niagara, you should definitely push for a 40#..... my nephew says he wants to catch some catfish, time to look for a hopefully tickless spot to catch some

I  used  25%  deet Wally brand tick spray today ...had one on my pant leg when I got to the open spot ,and 2 on me when I got back to my van ...not too bad for the amount of ticks there .

I did ok today ...5 carp but all between 12 & 17 lbs Fist carp hit hard , ran out a lot of line and fought like a 30 # carp !!   I was surprised it was only 17 lbs. It was a real scrapper !  Caught it on a hair rig , sliding sinker with G.Giant can corn ,

and I caught 2 on the other rod with corn on the hook and bolt rig ...then I tried some rubber corn on the bolt rig and caught a 12 pounder ....it hit it hard with the bolt rig (hence the name)  ! Then ,some bait fish moved in and lots of bumps but no takers .....

...a couple of shots , first one is 17 lbs ., very scrappy for it's size !!

second one shows the bait used ...2 pieces of rubber corn on the hair , about 2" off bottom .  

A fun day at the waterfront !     :Gonefishing:

17 lb.carp.jpg

carp , rubber corn.jpg

Some real tanks there. If you want to keep the ticks at bay pick up some Ultrashield at TSC/Peavey Mart. It's actually an insecticide so you just spray some on your boots and pant legs, a few dabs behind your ears and your good to go. (Dabs behind there ears are optional and actually not really recommended😁)

22 minutes ago, мормышка said:

Smerchly, are you keeping track of what fish to what bait? What bait is winning?

So far  this year The can corn is the top bait . I tried the fake corn today and some small fish were nipping at it  after catching just one carp on it . Time to start using the maize when the bait fish & gobies move in . I was going to use some of my old puff corn but it had dried out and splits when I try to insert the hook ....time to buy a new bag "somewhere" ...Bulk Barn doesn't sell it now ....maybe try the Peanut Mill .  I should take a tuna sandwich and try bread balls (with tuna scent) .  

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

walk on the death rocks as much as I can to avoid the brush

Great way to bust an ankle carrying all that gear Ty. I had plenty to carry myself .....two carp rods, back pack , insulated food bag , chair , and 30" net .  

...just remembered....

After  I  netted that 36 # carp I tried to get a "selfie" , but the 10 sec.timer on my camera is too short .  Trying to pick that beast up , hold it away from clothing to avoid the fish losing slime , I gave it a shot and released her while I had her in my arms . I knew the timer went off before I picked her up .... I  need to buy a small tripod to can keep in my bag . 

And .......   my tick spray is 25 %  deet ....a friend has a can with 40 % deet , bought in the USA . I think we can't buy it here that strong ? He said I could use it before going fishing . It lasts 12 hours ! 

I'll have to check out that Ultra Shield  Surf and Turf .....it looks like those ticks are going to be around for a while ....

12 minutes ago, smerchly said:

After  I  netted that 36 # carp I tried to get a "selfie" , but the 10 sec.timer on my camera is too short . 

I downloaded a app called photo timer you can set how many pics it takes and how many secs in between pics and a delay before it starts. 
not sure if you can put that app on your flip phone though:)

Ha !   My old point'n shoot camera (Samsung WB 700) doesn't have those smarts Ty  !  Maybe I can go through the set up and see if I can add more time on it .  May I should take a plastic apron too ?   B)

10 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

I downloaded a app called photo timer you can set how many pics it takes and how many secs in between pics and a delay before it starts. 
not sure if you can put that app on your flip phone though:)

Yup that's how I used to do it too.

Found the google app allows the command "Ok Google, take a picture"  so once your ready say the command it will count down and take the snap, you can set the timer 2, 5 or 10 seconds.

11 hours ago, rab546 said:

Found the google app allows the command "Ok Google, take a picture"

I wondered when that technology would happen !   There must be "smart" cameras that have  it also .

What I can do with my ancient camera is put it on movie mode ,take my time carefully picking up the fish , put out a nice toothy smile ,  , release the fish (on film) and when I download the movie , I can pause the movie at any spot and use my smart snipper tool to grab several of my "best" shots  .  That will work !  

....just for a trial run ....I took a movie of some geese while fishing yesterday  & used my snippping tool to check out the quality of a still frame ....not too shabby......  B)

Capture.PNG