Rabbit verses Smerch

smerchly

I have my yard fenced well with chain link fence , 1" chicken wire 24" high at the bottom  , some board fencing  , a few sheds , garage , small picket fenced garden which the rabbit could get through but not the dog....

Yesterday morning ....saw a rabbit in the yard , don't want my elderly dog Maggie chasing it but she got out and the chase was on !!

I was in bare feet chasing the dog , chasing the rabbit for 15 minutes  before Maggie jumped on it & got a good piece of fur out of it  , then chased it for another 5 minutes with a "beard" hanging from her mouth !  ....then I  finally got Mags in the house using a water can (she hates water) !

Then , I opened my driveway gate where it may have crawled under (2.5 ") ,also opened up a mutual gate of a neighbour for it to "escape" .

I chased it for another 10 minutes like a lunatic (on the grass) ..... but it had to many places to out run me . Any neighbours watching would be wondering  ?? 

I closed up the gates and checked and hour later....no rabbit to be found (must have went back under the gate ! Then I dropped the gate plate to 1"  !!

This morning ....7:30 am , look outside & see a RABBIT !! Same one ...must have found a place under the deck to  hide ??? 

Before I let Mags out to pee , I decided to grab my big 30" wide carp net !  I cornered the  (mother) rabbit & it made a quick move to my left ,,,,,

I did my best hockey goalie block with my left leg while holding the net to my right ....the rabbit then darted to the right ....into the net !!  GOAL !!! 

In one sweep I lifted it over the 5' chain link fence into the neighbours yard where she has little ones running around ! 

I'm still sore from yesterday's episode ....and so is Maggie . She saw me and the rabbit out there today and was going nuts inside the house .....

...any neighbours who saw this action in my yard must be wondering .......  :bravo:

My daughter in Beamsville had a garden at her last house fenced w chicken wire to keep the bunnies out, and rabbits kept getting in to eat the lettuce.

One day she happened to be looking out the window and saw a rabbit looking thru the wire at the garden...she watched it run about 15 feet back away from the wire, turn and run and jump the chicken wire into the garden!!

She solved the jumper problem by putting up a double-high wire fence around the garden.

4 minutes ago, genec said:

fenced w chicken wire to keep the bunnies out

You have to use rabbit wire for rabbits Gene !  haha

It's a chore to keep other garden raiders from enjoying your crop !

10 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I don’t think I would have the energy to do all that chasing . My wife had me make her a garden that had to be Deer and Rabbit proof . We shall see how that works out . 

F276A686-4949-4675-BD15-572DEA9CC9ED.jpeg

Wow , that should keep the deer out  !  How far under the ground does the hardware wire go ?...rabbits like to dig ...

I have lost small tomato plants and bean sprouts to black birds and robins ....got a roof over it ?   :D

2 hours ago, Duncan said:

I don’t think I would have the energy to do all that chasing . My wife had me make her a garden that had to be Deer and Rabbit proof . We shall see how that works out . 

F276A686-4949-4675-BD15-572DEA9CC9ED.jpeg

Nice garden Duncan 

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Nice garden Duncan 

Pssst....I think that fortress too keep "predators" out of the weed.....   B)

I have been using these Dollar store baskets ($1.00) for many years to keep the bird from breaking off my young beans . Same with the tomatoes and cucs. , until they reach the top of the basket ....has worked well for years !  If we have a cold night (like this week)  I simply put a Walmart bag over the basket and pile some dirt around the bottom .Here's my first row of beans ...another row when in blossom.....

bean baskets.jpg

12 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Pssst....I think that fortress too keep "predators" out of the weed.....   B)

that would at least make it more fun . The Chicken wire is not that deep but I bent it on a 90 angle so I am hoping if they dig that will stop them , and there are a lot of rabbits around . Just at the side of the garage and back garden I can normally see 3 or 4 in the evenings and I have no idea about the front of the house or the driveway . 

It looks like you live in a rural area . I'm in a subdivision with lots of houses .....and rabbits !  And the rabbits like to visit people who have veggie gardens !   We have to outsmart Bugsy  !! 

Yes we just moved into the Country a couple of weeks ago . I am across the road from the Welland River and about 1 km down the road from Chippewa conservation area . Lots of wild life on my property . But not sure about how good the fishing is around here 

"Look at that crazy old fart chasing that poor rabbit "  !!!

If Maggie had caught it (got some fur from it) , the rabbit would be lunch for her . She has some Jack Russel mixed with her pugness  (Jug)  and thinks all other animals are dinner !  

I should have thought about the net much sooner !   I caught someones budgie in the yard using my smelt net ,  rope over a branch ,   60'of fishing line to the house .....  B) 

I can't keep the rabbits out either. I've got 3 for sure, probably more, and they get in everywhere.

The cats used to get them, but they are getting old.....

I'm thinking I will put some copies of my rabbit recipes around the garden, and see if they get the hint!

On 5/26/2021 at 9:44 AM, Mbocco said:

Want to borrow my cat?  He loves rabbit. 

Maggie loves rabbit s too .....deja vu this morning !  I don't know where the rabbit is getting into the yard . I had to get out the big net again , cornered bugsy in the same spot but made a left "hook" with the net and the rabbit flew into the net ....   I'll check every inch of the yard to look for a hole ...... Maggie is laying on the floor beside her water bowl.......:mellow:▫️

On 5/29/2021 at 10:49 AM, Mbocco said:

Those rabbits are like mice.  They can squeeze through the smallest of holes. 

It was coming in under the chicken wire fence , found the hole , put a piece of heavier cage wire over the spot , well into the soil . Next time I catch that wabbit ...it's going for a ride .