12hr carp session

Tyler0420

Heading out tomorrow ,after 2 BIG rains here . ...hoping the water isn't too messed up . It was good to shop INSIDE Can.Tire today , paid my card bill & picked up another pkg. of VMC  #1 drop shot hooks for carp .  Looking forward to a cooler week !

11 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Heading out tomorrow ,after 2 BIG rains here . ...hoping the water isn't too messed up . It was good to shop INSIDE Can.Tire today , paid my card bill & picked up another pkg. of VMC  #1 drop shot hooks for carp .  Looking forward to a cooler week !

I was going to head out to Gibby in the morning but figured with all the rain and wind water may be chocolate milk. 

Got off to a late start today , lines in at 10:30 am,  Water wasn't too bad after all the rains but lots of algae from top to bottom . Started with maize/hair rig , then added corn puffs and yellow mellows to help elevate the corn , then just used the puffs and mellows as the green slime/algae would build up quickly and currents would then move my 1.5 oz.weights & accumulate more algae . Had about 10 "bumps" as bait fish or small fish were breaking the surface constantly . Needless to say no fish caught ....but saw a few carp jump in the distance .

But I did catch "something" .......a frigging yak !  As usual some of these people do not have a clue that when they see guys fishing with rods sticking well over the bank , they must pass over the lines . One particular fellow was coming towards me in his yak & I knew he was going to pass right over my lines . I reeled in one rod and showed him I am FISHING here and made a cast 20 ft. passed his bow . He saw the big 1.5oz sinker hit the water 30ft. ahead of him but didn't miss a stroke . As he got close to my braid line , I lifted my rod high and it caught him in the chest . I thanked him (politely) for crossing my line while he was trying to lift the line over his head , hoping the line would tangle around him and the paddle ,as I opened my bail to allow my spool to empty  ...then I pulled my line hard and heard the lead hit the side of his yak and reeled it in . He pointed at the lake and said "I'm going out there" ...and it had a good chop !  He returned an hour later and cut across a guys line on the other side and got a few more words tossed his way ! Just another yakker with no common sense ...:dunno:

....And ....a shot of the algae that was suspended from top to bottom , no fishing there for a while , (note my middle finger has healed nicely but is still tender . ....I don't think the yakker saw the little holes in my "middle finger"  !

Jordan algae.jpg

11 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

The fish must be on the move smerch. Nice hole in your finger.  Ouch!!

I think they finished spawning , there was no activity in the shallow backwater today . If I ever get another hook in me , I'll use the string method ....our hospitals are too busy ....

I'll be carp fishing the 12 and Gib in the weeks ahead, much closer to home base.

Need to add this .......  I sprayed my clothing well for ticks , didn't see any on me after fishing and checked myself at home from "top to bottom" ...no ticks .....Last night while having a wizz ,  I noticed a black dot climbing the "totem pole" ...TICK !!!  ....never had one in the underworld before !!  It went for a swim ....  Check yourself out "everywhere" ,they aren't choosy where they drink....

AND ....that ain't all of the story .....At 11 am this morning my wife found  tick on my bed !!  I'm not sure if those 2 ticks came from my fishing spot yesterday or from my gardens which I have been weeding (some tall dead columbines ,etc. The ticks seem to like my blood ....maybe it's the bananas ??  :huh:

Looks like I'll have to use a whole can of deet spray , or bath in it !

Bill, you need a dedicated “tick outfit” treated for the little buggers,  like my camo 2-piece rainsuit for hunting! I wear it ALL the time I am out hunting, no matter what the weather.

Go to Peavy and buy the 1-litre spray bottle of Ultra Shield.

Pick out a shirt and pants just for outdoor activities, spray them thoroughly with the Ultra Shield, and seal them up in a plastic bag.  Just take them out of the bag and put them on when you are going out, and reseal them back in the bag as soon as you come back.  The spray treatment should last at least 3 weeks before you need to retreat them if you keep them in a sealed bag, unless the clothes need washing!

Went out to Gibby today. It was cool with some wind at around 6am when I arrived. Literally nobody else out fishing, it was a ghost town. The catfish were non stop then finally got a good hit and line started peeling. Took about 10 mins to get her in because I was only using 10lb mono. I have no idea how much it weighed because a pike broke my scale a while back and I haven't been able to get out since to replace it. About 11am things died off and I called it a day. No tick sightings as of yet . 

Screenshot_20210616-085012_Messages.jpg

28 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Good one Darryl ...  I see people fishing there quite often ,catching the cats . Any size to the cats ?  

No not really. The cats aren't too big. More of a nuisance when trying to catch the carp but it fills the time. 

I think the carp have spawned and are now "resting" ....depending on what body of water they dwell . My daughter sent me this picture of a very preggy looking carp waiting for the family to arrive .  She lives further north where the water temps may be a little colder than here in Niagara .  She will leave Carmilla alone to have her kids unmolested ..... :)

Dee's carp shot.PNG

Nice carp Daryl!

Not a carp fisherman but today I stopped at the waters edge in grimsby….I make a weekly trip to 50 point market for some goodies.  Many carp along the shore 2-4 feet cruising and many with their head down a** up….like the way I prefer my w…Never mind …. Assume they are in shallow feeding?

23 hours ago, Captain Hooksets said:

Nice carp Daryl!

Not a carp fisherman but today I stopped at the waters edge in grimsby….I make a weekly trip to 50 point market for some goodies.  Many carp along the shore 2-4 feet cruising and many with their head down a** up….like the way I prefer my w…Never mind …. Assume they are in shallow feeding?

I'm not experienced with carp either , just started fishing them. I can only assume feeding or spawning. Smerch or Tyler may have more info. That one I caught was hooked about 50 to 60 feet out from shore in about 6 to 8 feet of water using corn.  

It's about this time of year when I see small schools of carp running the shore line at Deseronto  . I believe they are dropping their spawn in the rocks near shore . Some gars doing the same thing there . Staring in July , I'll be fishing for them in my deep water spots from 10 to 30 fow , some spots with a good current . (not the pool tho )  B)

43 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

The pool is on my agenda for this summer. I’ll be packing very very light. 

If you are targeting carp you will need to take 30 lbs. of weights .......^_^.

29 minutes ago, smerchly said:

If you are targeting carp you will need to take 30 lbs. of weights .......^_^.

There’s a few spots where the carp are often rolling where the current is more neutral.  You could probably get away with 2 or 3oz in those slack areas.   I just don’t know how the weight wouldn’t get hung up in the rocks.  

19 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

There’s a few spots where the carp are often rolling where the current is more neutral.  You could probably get away with 2 or 3oz in those slack areas.   I just don’t know how the weight wouldn’t get hung up in the rocks.  

If the weight is heavy enough to stay planted without rolling with the current,  there would be less hang ups . I would use a different rig there , like a 3 way using a flat weight , like a spoon sinker attached to a paper clip . If it gets hung up ,the clip will release the weight . I have been using rocks for weights in places where the bottom is totally covered with large rocks , and very deep with some current .  The larger diameter rock don't fall between the cracks as easily as small diameter lead weights . 

Rocks rock ,and are cheap !   ^_^

14 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

Thanks genious!

My wife calls me that too !   Today I covered an  8' x 8' patch of grass seed with plywood to keep it from drying out every hour while in the hot sun . When the shade reaches the seed bed , I remove to wood .She thought I was making a new garden .Sometimes my genious ideas are a big flop !  I should have been a scientist !  :crazy:

• 2 weeks later...

Well this weekend is round two for the challenge series. I’ll be fishing against a female angler. These girls know how to fish I hope I don’t get my Butt kicked 🙏
thinking about trying the otonabee river or maybe rice lake.  I have no experience fishing these locations but that’s ok. I’ll go the night before maybe prefish and bait the swim for morning.