Carp Revenge

smerchly

I just got back from the hospital after 9 hours there ,waiting to get a carp hook out of my finger .....long story will fill you guys in tomorrow ...going to bed after a long session with carp hook verses doctors .....   

5 hours ago, smerchly said:

I just got back from the hospital after 9 hours there ,waiting to get a carp hook out of my finger .....long story will fill you guys in tomorrow ...going to bed after a long session with carp hook verses doctors .....   

That has happened to me a few times in the past...............All part of fishing, I guess..........Hope that you're feeling better..............................🙂

Well , here's the scoop ,long story not short ....Playing with my carp rigs , adding more weight ...1.5 oz egg sinker and hair rig,...sinker rolls off my bench ,hook goes down fast with it catching the tip of my left "typing) finger . I tried to back it out with needle nose pliers ...no go !  Called local walk in , no answer ,call my doc...go to emerg at hospital ( one mile away)  Go through the triage which took 2 hours before being assessed ,then wait for call to see a doctor ( screen said average time to see a doc.is 4  hrs) . It was cold there as I had a light short sleeve shirt ....Finally get called at  9 pm. sent to a 9 x 12 cubicle and meet a tall young intern who said " I see you go to Peter's Tackle ."  I told him I have a "carp" hook in my middle finger ,  he has also caught carp & showed me a picture of one his dad caught & asked me what type of hook it was ...a circle hook ? I said it was a VMVC live bait hook with a small barb that is turned inward slightly .

"No problem ,will have that hook out in a jiffy "... 30 minutes later a young female doc.looks at it ...will have that hook cut out very soon"  I'm starting to shiver and get light headed , no food since noon , it's now 10 pm. I wait another 15 min.and decide I need to eat /drink so I went to the nurse station (20' away) and asked if I could leave as I have no pain and need to eat and get warmer clothes , & I live 5 minutes away . She said they will be there in 10 minutes & she got me water & a ham sandwich LOL ! 

Then 2 young female docs. came with all the nasty tools of the trade ..... then the pain began ....a lonnnng needle goes into both sides of the finger near the top knuckle and pushed toward the finger knuckles ...nasty nasty pain !!  Then ....another shot in the tip of the finger which  blew the end up like a golf ball ...pain pain pain !!!  Now , she pushes the hook through the skin to expose the barb , about 1/8" ,then uses a small side cutter to "try" to cut the barb off . I said those hooks are hardened and hard to cut , but she kept trying to cut it and moving the hook in all directions while blood began pouring out all over the pad . The young male doc said  " That isn't going to work , I'll get something else ...came back with "bolt cutters"  lol  This side cutter was stronger and cut the tip off & the hook shank was pulled back out from whence it came... I think they should have cut the shank of the hook after the barb was cut instead of backing the rest of the hook out .After a hasty dressing I was good to go ....until she said you need a tetanus shot which I got a few minutes later ....and did THAT sting !!  My arm is very tender today !  

The young male doc.said , "fishing for carp tomorrow" ?  I said I'll wait a while... and we have new rules now and he put 3 fingers up ...and I laughed and said "You are well acquainted with carp fishing"  lol

P.S. ....my daugther Dee (alias "mouse" on NFN will have something to say about the crazy old man & his fish stories"   ^_^

....a 2 coffee post .....   B)B).....and some gore .....minus the blood .....

You guys take note !!!  It's not nice to sink a fish hook into your skin , be verrrrry careful  !!  

finger bandage.jpg

needle spots.jpg

HOOK MARKS IN FINGER.jpg

16 hours ago, мормышка said:

Go barbless.

THAT is a serious consideration !!  Those hooks have enough curve that should work barbless  .  I'll need to keep the tip of the rod up and the line taut at all times during those hard head shakes .  Thanks for that option Mopm.....:Gonefishing:

I don't want to get "hooked" that way again !!!  

...here's the hook .....made in France ...small barb

VMC hook.PNG

1 minute ago, Tyler0420 said:

The hospital should have an express lane. No need to wait 9 hours for a fish hook removal. Glad your ok smerch. Take it easy for a few days. 

If it was the hospital in Perry sound ....they have a dedicated fish hook removal  room and I would have been in and out in a hour .  They don't have much call for it here .....

And thanks Ty...I'll be back in the groove in 72 hours ..... :P

31 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

Geez.  That sucks.  It looks like it will be fine though.  Keep it clean and watch for infection. I assume they upgraded your tetanus?

Thanks doc.....yes I had the tet.shot (ouch) . I will also say , even though the wait times for everyone there is many hours to see a doctor , the nurses were wonderful . They REALLY have their hands full with rude people and tons of paper work ....and wearing a oxygen robbing mask for 12 hours !!  I do not blame them for the long waiting time.  

...btw ...my arm is very sore and tender today , not so much with my finger .

Some info I read on the tet shot ,a vaccine , which makes me ask ,the people of all ages who I see getting the covid shots seem to feel no pain ?  What is the difference ?  

https://immunizebc.ca/ask-us/questions/i-received-tetanus-shot-week-ago-my-arm-very-sore

Most people get really sore from the covid shot too.  Depends on the person and the spot in your deltoid that they hit.  Some vaccines are also 1ml instead of 0.5ml which of course hurts more.  Tetanus was only 0.5ml.  You must be sensitive. 😁

I am sensitive it seems to other drugs too . ...allergic reactions to penicillin , amoxicillin ,etc. ... had extreme muscle soreness from Lipitor , Crestor , now on Pravastatin  and Ramapril for the old ticker ...some light dizzyness  sometimes . . I believe I have a very sensitive system . Just having one reg. 5% beer affects me enough to not want another .  

But my cuts seem to heal up very quickly !   Pike have done some blood letting on me  and I healed up well the next day .   The carp are very hard on my blood pressure ....160 /80 yesterday !   B)

6 hours ago, smerchly said:

If it was the hospital in Perry sound ....they have a dedicated fish hook removal  room and I would have been in and out in a hour .  They don't have much call for it here .....

And thanks Ty...I'll be back in the groove in 72 hours ..... :P

72 hours eh Bill?? I just may have to hit up your favourite spots while you're on the mend!! 😏

34 minutes ago, Bubba14 said:

72 hours eh Bill?? I just may have to hit up your favourite spots while you're on the mend!! 😏

Well , I  see it is cooling off as of tomorrow Scott . ...down to 30 hours now . I will practice some casting in my yard tomorrow and get my wife to run some line out while I crank the reel . If you are not too busy , I could use a net man .....B)

Gezz Smerch, I just saw your post my friend,😱 hope your doing OK. 

Just reading it makes my finger hurt.😱

I guess I've been lucky not getting a hook in passed the barb, been close a few times.

Taker easy for a few days.👍

Thanks FF ,  it was a very painful experience . With all the drugs we have today we still have to endure a lot of pain from the needles they use to freeze the finger which is probably worse than quickly pushing the hook through and snipping off the shank  ....done in 10 seconds . It has been done by friends while fishing the north . One guy cut his hand beside the embedded hook and removed it . And ,  waiting  for many hours at the hospital "emergency" in these modern times needs to change .....a new state of the art hospital ,and nobody home......sad ! There were many others of all ages who were still there after 9 hours .....

I hope my experience will help us here to be more aware that a buried hook is not a good thing !!   :(

On 6/9/2021 at 5:11 AM, Tony said:

That has happened to me a few times in the past...............All part of fishing, I guess..........Hope that you're feeling better..............................🙂

A few times ???  You are a "brute for punishment " Tony ...OUCHCHCH !!!  I hope you didn't go through the rigormorole I endured !   

About 50 years ago I got my hand under a gas lawnmower while helping a friend try to start it & nearly lost 3 fingers on my right hand ....one tendon was sliced . I went to the old Hotel Dieu in St. Kitts where a doctor "Warshawski" , a plastic surgeon was there . Ten minutes later Dr.Wash came to the emerge . I was given a shot of demorol and immediately had my dirty hand cleaned , tendon fixed , and stitched up . I was out of there in less than one hour , (floated out of there) !! ... off work for 13 weeks after weeks of therapy . One week after the surgery I spilled gas on my bandage ....Doc W. was NOT happy !!  "What the hell did you do to your hand ?? " lol  ...and at least he got a chance to see some "pink" fingers  :) !!  That was 50 years ago .....times have changed ....

I'm sure some of this sad state of our hospitals is due to the shortage of staff and the c19/20/21....

Had a hook removed in Parry Sound the operating tools came in on a silver tray and consisted of Channelock linesman,Channelock needle nose,Channelock side cutters and 1/2 a skate lace. Had the hook out fast but had to wait for Tetnus reaction from needle.I asked Dr. if it was Bobby`s skate lace he just grimmaced

Very invasive indeed bro . !  The tip of the finger has lots of little "pain" nerves . Did they do the needle routine to freeze the finger ? The pain from 3 needles is greater than getting the hook out !  I guess the hospital has all those pliers/cutters on hand for those big treble hooks . Bobby would be happy to loan you a lace ....:)

I found dr.very insensitive “just another stupid fisherman” .most painful was when they cleaned area before the shot with a cotton swab, that tended to snag the 2 remaining hooks on treble,pic is another instance.then the freezing 1 shot and wrapped the old skate lace around the base of hook gave her some slack and yanked her out.A quick hard pull is the trick.The pic was last year tying some pickerel rigs and as you ,snagged me.Aware of wait times at hospital I took paracord fastened a loop on wall put shank threw loop down to the penetration and after 5min and growing big enough kahonas I snapped hand back voila.Play with the bull ,get the horns.  But that is best way to remove hook kinda like pulling a tooth with string and a door😀😀

The young male doctor I first saw is a fly fisherman and his dad has the carp gear ....found out he is a local guy who my neighbour knows well . He doesn't recommend using the string method . If the hook got into a tendon or under a tendon you could be in for some "scalpel" surgery and more pain . I think the size of the barb and the angle of the hook near the barb makes a difference also, as he asked me if it was a circle hook .