Carp Revenge

smerchly

I do a fair bit of fly fishing and mostly catch and release. I always pinch the barbs on my hooks which leaves a little bump on the hook. I do lose a few more fish but I can release fish without taking them out of the water. 

55 minutes ago, Flyfisher said:

I do a fair bit of fly fishing and mostly catch and release. I always pinch the barbs on my hooks which leaves a little bump on the hook. I do lose a few more fish but I can release fish without taking them out of the water. 

I do not use a standard "carp" hook which has a straight shank  . I like the VMC hooks , made in France which work great using the hair rig . They are thinner but very strong ( handled my 36 lb.carp well ) but broke the 17 lb.test mono in the net....and it caught a 145 lb.smerch fish  !!   .....I think the way the hook is curved inward will work with no barb ....I'll be giving it a test very soon ......   I have some hooks ready to go after grinding the barb off with my Dremel tool and chain saw fine stone .

On 6/9/2021 at 1:15 PM, Mouse33 said:

Only you dad😄

Hey Mouse , I missed your post ... Good to see you here again !   I see you have some big carp in the bay !  I hope you can post some pictures of your catches  and show the old man how it's done !  We have enjoyed some of your beauty sunsets ....what a great spot you have there !