An old tool

smerchly

Digging with a garden fork in my yard in a spot I haven't dug into since I bought the house in 81 . The house was built in 55  ...3 bedroom bungalow , 50 x 150' lot (10 grand) I dug deep , about 12" down ,flipped the soil over a saw this rusted piece of steel . I thought it was a piece of well rusted spike . I cleaned it up on my dad's old 50's grinder with a coarse wire brush on one side. It turns out to be a usable punch with some numbers on it .....no idea how old it is but it's good to go . 

I used to work a ETF Tools where they made many drop forged hand tools which were very high quality , hardened and tempered to last for many years . I still have all the tools made there in great shape ....then the Japanese copies came out at half the price ....end of an era ....

This is the punch after I cleaned it up .  Seems to be tempered properly and will last long after I'm under the ash tree .....

Old punch.PNG

That is a nail set used to set finish nails below the surface of the wood for finishing. It should be flat on the end. Someone has ground it to a point to use as a center  punch.

1 hour ago, Chrisb said:

That is a nail set used to set finish nails below the surface of the wood for finishing. It should be flat on the end. Someone has ground it to a point to use as a center  punch.

Good eye Chris I think you are right .I have both tools and my center punches don't have that flat head . I didn't grind it which might take the temper out , just used the 6" x 1" wire brush to clean it up . I should invest in a metal detector .....but I might not have any grass left ....

12 hours ago, smerchly said:

Digging with a garden fork in my yard in a spot I haven't dug into since I bought the house in 81 . The house was built in 55  ...3 bedroom bungalow , 50 x 150' lot (10 grand) I dug deep , about 12" down ,flipped the soil over a saw this rusted piece of steel . I thought it was a piece of well rusted spike . I cleaned it up on my dad's old 50's grinder with a coarse wire brush on one side. It turns out to be a usable punch with some numbers on it .....no idea how old it is but it's good to go . 

I used to work a ETF Tools where they made many drop forged hand tools which were very high quality , hardened and tempered to last for many years . I still have all the tools made there in great shape ....then the Japanese copies came out at half the price ....end of an era ....

This is the punch after I cleaned it up .  Seems to be tempered properly and will last long after I'm under the ash tree .....

Old punch.PNG

What’s that copper looking thing under it? :)

I'm not sure ....it's got some leaves on one side and a lady's face on the other side .I have drilled a hole in some and use for washers . 

15 hours ago, мормышка said:

Back when things were built to last. 

When I was digging up my back yard to renew for garden I found a very old coke bottle. I didn't keep it. Maybe I should have. 🤔

Many people keep old finds like that , clean them up , paint them and use for flowers ,etc. I found a very old white  water kettle under the back steps years ago (1981) .....still have it as is (was) sitting on the deck ....wife likes to put dried flowers into it.

and our only TV is over 30 years old and it will used until it croaks . Our old gas furnace lasted 40 years and the fridge outside is still cold after 40 years ,and the freezer was here in 1981 , put a new compressor in it in 1990 . They were fixable then .... Ya...they were made to last, in the "old days"   

About 40 years ago as I was digging new spots for a garden I found about 20 of these heavy steel wheels . I have been using them for weights ,  holding down many objects over the years . They are probably industrial wheels used for conveyors or cart wheels , etc. They weigh 1.5 pounds . 

The kettle was also found ,under the old cement steps which was a storage space back in the 50's . The back yard still has the old string of weeping tiles  from the septic tank buried deep,  and I find some old coal ash beds in spots . I think a metal detector would blow up if I scanned the entire yard !  Maybe I should rent one for a day and mark the spots to be dug up later .

old steel weight.PNG

old kettle.PNG

On 6/18/2021 at 4:58 PM, bigugli said:

I saw the title and thought....  The Mrs has been calling you names:P

She calls me worse names than that Bruce !  

As one old "tool" to another .......

Have a great day on your birthday today big old buddy !    B)

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

She calls me worse names than that Bruce !  

As one old "tool" to another .......

Have a great day on your birthday today big old buddy !    B)

Thanks for reminding me. Not that my body doesn't keep reminding me:rolleyes: