Atlantic Salmon at Port Dalhousie?

trouter

I was looking over YouTube videos of people fishing trout in St.Catharines/Port Dalhousie and stumbled upon a video a couple guys fishing under a bridge. The video was posted on April 3rd of this year and has the title "Fishing Trout in Port Dalhousie". At around the 4:00 minute mark of the video, the guy appears (to me at least) to be unhooking a small, and tagged, Atlantic Salmon.  

Here is a screen cap of the fish:

salmon.jpg

I know that long long long ago (over 100 years or something) Atlantic Salmon used to flourish in lake Ontario. Is there stocking, or something else going on here? 

I would love to get your opinions on this, as well as the rules and regulations surrounding these fish here in Southern Ontario.

Here is the YouTube link:

YouTube link

Various projects over the last 20 years to reintroduce Atlantics have been rather unsuccessful and un popular.  Recently a number of "retired brood stock" from the hatchery had been released in the harbor.  Many have stock around through spring creating a unique opportunity to catch them. I'd assume the now warm water has pushed them out to the lake  

I wonder if there have been any instances of people catching large Atlantic Salmon, not just juvenile. When it comes to releasing salmon from farm to wild there has been very very limited success from what I've understood.

It's too bad, I love Atlantic Salmon.

I fished the harbour for a while today.. the bottom has been scraped and more rocks exposed ...getting hung up constantly ,so I went to Rookers Rd.where they dumped tons of huge rocks ...not fish friendly at all now ....caught a few gobies & a small perch . They used to release thousands of trout from the wall there , and  I didn't know the ramp has a pay machine there now  !   I went to Lakeside Park where the new huge paved parking lot is open  at $3 per hour unless you have a permit , so I left . 

I was talking to an elderly man who told me that green walking bridge is coming down . The old cement abutments look like they are collapsing . That was my go to spot along that wall to fish ....looks like it is also gone for anglers . I was going to drop a worm in a Rennie , parking was full everywhere .

Got me a new 50 lb. digi fish scale at Peters (in store shopping) , smaller size & takes a 9 V battery . ( Rapala)

....a shot where I fished today (muddy water) and you can see the condition of the walk bridge footings ...

rookers rd.jpg

2 hours ago, мормышка said:

I heard if you are St. Catharines resident and you register at city web site, you get free permit. I haven't checked yet.

I checked it last night and yes , you can fill out a form on line . They need your plate number up to 2 vehicles and  want to see a statement of your tax bill and a utility bill to prove you are a resident ,then they will sent you a tag to be displayed from your vehicle window or go to city hall to get the tag . You can also call them by phone .

Good stuff with the parking....The beach is really nice since we live close by.  Just wait until everything is built at Port, doesn't look good for the shore anglers, guys are already adjusting to boat fishing the harbor. 

They definitely disturbed the original fish habitat but it will take some time before the fish adjust to the new home:)

16 hours ago, trouter said:

I was looking over YouTube videos of people fishing trout in St.Catharines/Port Dalhousie and stumbled upon a video a couple guys fishing under a bridge. The video was posted on April 3rd of this year and has the title "Fishing Trout in Port Dalhousie". At around the 4:00 minute mark of the video, the guy appears (to me at least) to be unhooking a small, and tagged, Atlantic Salmon.  

Here is a screen cap of the fish:

salmon.jpg

I know that long long long ago (over 100 years or something) Atlantic Salmon used to flourish in lake Ontario. Is there stocking, or something else going on here? 

I would love to get your opinions on this, as well as the rules and regulations surrounding these fish here in Southern Ontario.

Here is the YouTube link:

YouTube link

That looks like a small brown.

There is a sign that says hours at the parking lot ....up to 9 p.m. Does that mean they close the lot at 9 p.m. or parking is no pay after 9 ? Anglers like to fish all hours of the day ,or night . 

Shore anglers do not spend much money there , it's now a big marina port with tons of cash from the larger vessels . 

2 minutes ago, steelshady said:

That looks like a small brown.

Could be a brown , lots released there over the years .