Old Pond

Three years ago I  put some small chubs from my buddies pond into another pond a few blocks from here . This pond has been there for many years with bull rushes around it , a few small carp and other minnow species . and frogs of course (maybe a few turtles)  and  water birds , like herons that visit the pond for a quick snack , or ducks . This pond happens to be on or beside a church property . As I drove by I saw the pond was dug out ...completely bare ,no water or rushes . I wonder what happened to the fish and critters ?  I think they are going to fill it with water again and put a fountain in to please the churchers ?   

Sad to see this pond gone .......:(......................................................:angry:...

Old Pond at church.PNG

50 minutes ago, мормышка said:

Nothing will happen unless it was home to an endangered specie(s).

If they have any respect for wild life ( as churchers should)  I would expect  them to relocate as much of the inhabitants of the pond as possible . It would be easy to collect them as the water level dropped . 

3 hours ago, smerchly said:

If they have any respect for wild life ( as churchers should)  I would expect  them to relocate as much of the inhabitants of the pond as possible . It would be easy to collect them as the water level dropped . 

Its possible a reasonable transfer was done. Hard to say who actually owns the land though.

Looks like a pond to help control the stormwater from the parking lot. Ponds like that, and most man made ponds, need to be cleaned out occasionally. Otherwise they fill in completely with sediment and serve no function. Some storm water ponds are also regulated by the ministry of environment which state how often they need to be cleaned out in order to still work.

As it was man made to start with, I would assume that in a couple years it will get back to that "naturalized" look. 

Most of the surrounding  land is still the same as it has a hydro line running through much of it .  The pond must have been part of the land they bought and they built the pond . Someone must have put fish in it , and over the years other creatures are attracted to live in it . I have driven around it over the last 4 - 5  years and it was always clear water ,even after some good rains . I suppose the bull rushes help clean the water as that's what they do , making it hospitable for fish , etc. to survive .

I sent them an email asking them about the fish and other wildlife that lived in the pond . ...hoping to hear from them ......

....a Navigator shot of the pond when it was built in 2013 ,  and itlooks like you are right tmf....it will be restored . I'm just concerned about the previous dwellers .... I supposed it is nothing compared to the destruction of other wetlands like Marineland .....

....and another shot in 2018 when I put a few doz. chubs in it ...they feed on mosquito larvae ....

church pond.PNG

Church Pond 2018.PNG