Bass opener

Tyler0420

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

From shore. My local waters in brantford. 

Nice. Never fished it before but I’m hoping to get out there this year.

1 hour ago, Lukefish99 said:

I tried on the harbour for a few hour but the wind was horrible and got no bites. I did get a nice largie follow my spinner but I couldn't get it to commit. Fishing has been tough for me this year lol.

Hamilton harbor? I see guys bass fishing around the small islands 

On 6/26/2021 at 3:46 PM, Tyler0420 said:

Anyone get out?

I might try the grand later on this evening or tomorrow. 

Went down just in town, never even gave a cast. Was choc milk, and just walking the bank I was sweating...so humid.

1 hour ago, steellee said:

Slept in than hit a small frog pond i like for topwater largies. Ended up with 4, all on the small side like a pound or so.  Next trip will be night bite when the bigger ones show themselves

You’re getting me excited for topwater action.  I’m working 7 days a week so nights is when I can get out or rain days.  Msg me if you’d like a partner. 

Ya its rare i even fish largemouth during the day. Tough to beat night topwater. I am in St Thomas but if your ever out this way theres some big bass in thick cover. I'd always be willing to try a new area too..

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Lukefish99 said:

Not quite the opener but I did get out for bass and ended my 3 year bass drought (I only fished for bass 1 time in this timespan I'm not that bad lol). Got 2 dinks on topwater.

IMG_1791.jpg

IMG_1797.jpg

Nice my favorite way to fish them. 

7 hours ago, Lukefish99 said:

Not quite the opener but I did get out for bass and ended my 3 year bass drought (I only fished for bass 1 time in this timespan I'm not that bad lol). Got 2 dinks on topwater.

IMG_1791.jpg

IMG_1797.jpg

Nothing wrong with that.......................They're two nice fish..................................

The last time I fished for bass was at the 12 Mile using senkos , wacky rigged in fast water along rocky banks . The bass (some smallies too) seemed to be waiting to grab anything that moved in the rocks , including the odd school of minnows passing by ....then ,they would head out into the current and back current . 

The bass are hard to find there now after I saw pails full of them taken .....I fish for carp at the 12 now .

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

The last time I fished for bass was at the 12 Mile using senkos , wacky rigged in fast water along rocky banks . The bass (some smallies too) seemed to be waiting to grab anything that moved in the rocks , including the odd school of minnows passing by ....then ,they would head out into the current and back current . 

The bass are hard to find there now after I saw pails full of them taken .....I fish for carp at the 12 now .

We own a property on Rose street all the way to the creek path....,Used to fish it daily for bass with senkos but the fish have been gone for three or four years now, you think the water might be polluted? 

I was upstream from you at the rapids . ...good variety of fish when using minnows  .  Downstream about 100 yds. , I got a big channel cat  , and carp "should" be there too . I use to fish the other side down from the rapids and got some perch . ....many eclipses ago ....

I don't know what happened to the 12 , but I'm suspicious that it was affected by a chemical that the mnr put in Gibson to kill the grass carp . We will never know . I haven't seen the schools of minnows yet either .   

7 hours ago, steelshady said:

We own a property on Rose street all the way to the creek path....,Used to fish it daily for bass with senkos but the fish have been gone for three or four years now, you think the water might be polluted?

I am a believer that there is an issue with that watershed and the fishing.  The 12 is fed from Lake Gibson which is fed from the canal (Lake Erie) and this eventually winds up in Martindale Pond.  @knightfisher might agree with myself, but the past few years the quantity of fish has drastically dropped in the Gibson through Martindale stretch.  I used to have double digit days on bass and pike and I am down to very few days where I even see a fish or have a hit.

If you look closely as well, the waters are much muddier and there is a lack of zebra mussels as well.  The last time I saw more than a few feet of visibility was when there was still some ice around the shoreline.

I am a believer something was put into the waters and it has altered them significantly.  Farm runoff?  Maybe.  Something to kill the zebra mussels?  Maybe.  Something to kill the Asian carp?  Maybe.  Or the Asian carp have completely taken over and destroyed the spawning habitat for bass and pike.

14 minutes ago, Snags said:

Or the Asian carp have completely taken over and destroyed the spawning habitat for bass and pike.

Asian (grass ) carp have been caught there and the mnr  posted pictures of many of them  (30 lb range) 

If those carp are in abundance now , I haven't heard of anyone catching them . The grass carp ,if that's what you are referring to Dan , as you know feed on vegetation , but that vegetation could have spawn on it . I hope the fish come back in numbers we had 5 years ago . I didn't catch any carp at the 12 this year ..

Like snagglepuss, I have been washing more lures than catching. Trying different bodies of waters in the area have not been very productive. Fish have been seen and caught but not in the numbers as in the past.

The MNR could easily dump chemicals at Allanburg which would quickly spread throughout the whole Gibson area and 12 Mile  . Since they are "government" , I don't expect them to tell us the truth .  I remember seeing the MNR going up the Wanapitie River (Hartley Bay) with drums of chems to kill lamprey eels . It killed our fish catches shortly after . We ended up fishing Pike Lake nearby . The minnows in the river also "disappeared" . 

10 hours ago, knightfisher said:

Like snagglepuss, I have been washing more lures than catching. 

After the chems take full effect Dan , you may be catching fish like this .....

"heavens tomurgatroy"

Capture.PNG

1 hour ago, Snags said:

Did the MNR ever announce where they thought the Gibson carp came from?  Or they did their thing, found 10 or so ... and that is it?

Well , they did say they were incapable of reproducing , except for one that had some sign of having active gonads !  

And they said they were caught in an isolated part of Gibson ,and very little threat to the system .

Where did they come from .....do they know ? We can only guess .  Fish can travel through the Great Lakes and make their way to L.Ontario to L.Erie via the Welland Ship Canal into L.Gibson and to the 12 Mile Creek . They could have been released by those who also released live Koi fish . 

Thinking back about 10 years ago , fishing for bass at Gib. was productive and full of bait fish ....... 

https://www.facebook.com/asiancarpca/photos/the-fisheries-and-oceans-canada-asian-carp-program-has-been-busy-over-the-last-w/1333573973323462/

Well a lil late for opener but made it out tonight for a bit. Managed one small largie on a frog. Was getting pretty annoyed every second cast getting knots in the braid from reeling in slack line. I think a bait caster would help that problem. 

07C42C1C-70A1-4128-9BCE-FA10B3906996.jpeg

E5A53C65-1C2E-49FE-8259-BE3FF682A920.jpeg