Pup killed ...

smerchly

Our street ,Vansickle Rd. is really getting bad for vehicles speeding . The worst are the fast sports cars , like BMW , Mustang ,Mercedes, etc.,and also some big roaring pick ups that sound like Harleys . There's kids crossing this super highway ....and these drivers feel they own the roads . A neighbour got into a confrontation with 4 black guys driving a black Mercedes yesterday who were tailgating him and almost collided as the were going to pass him on the right as he signaled left to get into his driveway ...luckily ,he is still alive to tell me ....

And last night a 6 month old pup died on the road after a loud , red speeding sports car hit the dog and took off . (on facebook) The owners are devastated as i would be too !

These people have no fear of getting caught .We used to have radar on this busy street and it's now twice as busy as new subdivisions go up . I find it a crime that we have to put up with speeders ,day and night ! .....When a child is killed , they may do a "study" and get back to us later .....( wish I had a spike belt )  

It can be a chore trying to back a boat into the driveway as these idiots have no manners and try to skip around you . We need more strict driving laws and much larger fines . I would  help donate to getting one of the new auto radar machines and they can install it on my front lawn !  

I'm sure we all have stories about the reckless driver out there while driving to our fishing holes ....I followed a woman who was all over the road (4 th Ave) driving at 60 k in an 80k zone ...sure she was either drunk or on the phone ,texting ....

On 7/4/2021 at 11:06 AM, мормышка said:

This is why I have front and rear (for tailgaters/passers, etc) dash cams. It could help me or somebody else.

Would it be of any use filming  a bad driver (drunk , stoned) and calling the cops ?  Will they be able to press charges based on your video ? I think not as there's too many loopholes to get away from any charges . Cams are good as an witness for accidents .  If I thought a cam would be of use after driving behind the wandering woman , I would invest in a decent dash cam . I would need to use my point and shoot camera now...

Three of my neighbours had "Slow Down , PLEASE" lawn signs given to them from CAA but didn't last too long after all 3 were stolen the same night ...totally expected  these days !  

the pup was a 6 month old labradoodle  ....saw another neighbour walking the same breed and ran out to meet it .....

That's terrible owners would be heart broken. Too many selfish idiots roaming the streets these days.

If you spot a drunk driver you can follow them and call 911, keep them in sight and the operator will call and have police intercept. I did this one night on the QEW a few years ago, almost got hit by someone who was swerving all over the road almost hit a couple other cars so called 911. I was following him from Jordan and passing along the info to operator as I went, once I hit Stoney Creek she told me that officers would be intercepting shortly and asked me to get right behind the car and put my hazards on. Two cruisers pulled up beside me then passed put their lights on and the guy almost hit one of them, then finally pulled over. That was the last I heard of it. Just like being on an episode of cops, without ending up in the backseat of a cruiser! 

The Minister of Transportation needs to be taken to task and come out swinging with some very tough rules ....with meaningful consequences !!

The rule for driving over 50k plus is a slap on the wrist for their dangerous actions. With a "good" $$$  lawyer" they may get off and back on the road in no time.

If our minister Caroline Mulroney  lost one of her family to a speeding driver we would see some "fast" changes .....

Good on you for your actions Surf'nTurf . I think the day is coming soon when all cars will need a dash cam that starts when the car starts .....like cops who now wear cameras . It may lower our insurance rates too ! 

51 minutes ago, smerchly said:

The Minister of Transportation needs to be taken to task and come out swinging with some very tough rules ....with meaningful consequences !!

The rule for driving over 50k plus is a slap on the wrist for their dangerous actions. With a "good" $$$  lawyer" they may get off and back on the road in no time.

If our minister Caroline Mulroney  lost one of her family to a speeding driver we would see some "fast" changes .....

Good on you for your actions Surf'nTurf . I think the day is coming soon when all cars will need a dash cam that starts when the car starts .....like cops who now wear cameras . It may lower our insurance rates too ! 

Agree Smerch, they did just increase the penalties for stunt driving including lowering the threshold from 50 over to 40 over when on municipal roads ie) posted 80km or under. I think part of it is from lack of respect for rules, law enforcement and society in general. You see some videos up in the GTA where they take over intersections to do burn outs, street races etc., cops show up and the crowd throws beer bottles etc. at the cops and participants run for it. They should move some of this up to criminal law especially for repeat offenders, even if they catch them they probably just get a slap on the wrist by the courts. 

The issue around speeding is the engine and look of the vehicle add to the perceived speed, I have had my neighbours in the past upset at my speed.  None of them could identify my speed, other than FAST.  I asked them what the speed limit was and most have no clue that the speed limit is 50 KM/H, all they could say was YOU DRIVE TOO FAST, no clue on my speed, no clue on the speed limit, nothing but opinion.

Too many people are irresponsible parents/pet owners though based on things I have seen.  Some kids used to live in my little subdivision and they could not comprend looking both ways before running out into the street, mom would sit on the porch and not say anything.  It took me back to driving through Baltimore where a common issue (I was given a heads up on) is people jumping out into traffic to get hit and then launch a lawsuit.  No different than the pet owners who have those extendable leashes, saw one that had to be about 30 feet or so ... the guy was on the sidewalk, his dog was walking down the middle of the road.

I still stand behind Niagara being the worst for driving in North America based on things I have seen and how many times I have nearly been hit or people who don't understand the 406 has areas where it drops to 80 from 100 and have almost rear-ended me.  There was a lady this morning who was weaving between lanes to try and get ahead of traffic and failing to use a blinker, let alone actually remain in a lane as she was riding the line more than anything.  Pulled up beside her at a red light and asked her how much she had to drink and to use her signal.  She wound up behind me further down the road and with how close she got to my bumper while I was waiting for my left, she couldn't get out from behind me ... so I waited past a few openings to make my turn and inconvenience her some more.  Needless to say I saw a hand gesture in my rear view mirror.

21 hours ago, smerchly said:

I think the day is coming soon when all cars will need a dash cam that starts when the car starts .....like cops who now wear cameras . It may lower our insurance rates too ! 

I think the future will have GPS tied to your vehicle that will feed your insurance company your information, it will be sold as IT WILL LOWER RATES FOR GOOD DRIVERS, but expect it to screw everyone over in the long run based on "statistics" or "one time is too many".  My work vehicle has one, the company installed them to monitor everyone and encourage good driving.  With how sensitive they are set ... it goes off in a parking lot for rough driving if the pothole is not solid ice and the vehicle dips enough.

Sad to hear about the pup. Appears some data is missing. One doesn't cross a busy road without looking both ways. Was the pup at the heels of the owner as it should be crossing any street. I live on a busy street as well, and my pup is always by my side when I'm out and about.  Again, sad to hear about the loss, but there appears to be some missing data. Ultimately the responsibly for the pup's safety is up to the owner.

33 minutes ago, knightfisher said:

Sad to hear about the pup. Appears some data is missing. One doesn't cross a busy road without looking both ways. Was the pup at the heels of the owner as it should be crossing any street. I live on a busy street as well, and my pup is always by my side when I'm out and about.  Again, sad to hear about the loss, but there appears to be some missing data. Ultimately the responsibly for the pup's safety is up to the owner.

Yes , the dog got away from the owner .  There was enough distance between the dog and vehicle giving the driver time to slow down for the dog (as I would and have done for other animals ) .  He took off from the 4 way stop like a maniac ,getting off on the acceleration and Indy 500 muffler . He hit the dog and his foot didn't leave the gas and he took off , like others do when they are impaired , no license , insurance , stolen car, etc .....My dog never leaves the yard ....if she got out she would never make it across this road .  This street saw very few cars when I moved here , no speedsters then (big deep ditches) . We do not see many kids at Halloween , they are all on the other side on the sidewalk because of heavy traffic . As I said , we can't get nothing done to get the speeders ....until a kid is killed ? ...maybe ....

Snags .......    after living here since 81  it's easy to spot speeders ....some are very quiet but do 70-80 k . and some bus drivers need to be taken to task too ! 

2 hours ago, Snags said:

No different than the pet owners who have those extendable leashes, saw one that had to be about 30 feet or so ... the guy was on the sidewalk, his dog was walking down the middle of the road.

Those leashes are dangerous for dogs . They should not be longer than 6 feet . When I walked my large breed dogs like my Rotti , and Staffs , they never got one step ahead of me , and the short leash kept their side in contact with my leg .  If you live in the country , different story ..

That poor dog lost it's life because an idiot was at the wheel of a fast car . Most people now back their car in their driveway to make it easier to "jump in" !  I would never buy a house here now .... 

What people need to realize is that kids are so excited to play and they forget … just like we all forget at times… Drive in Residential Areas like your kids are out there.. l don’t care that the speed limit is 50 kmp unless posted. What is WRONG WITH 30 or 40KMP to save a PERSONS LIFE KID OR NOT.. Whe have 30KMP in our Neighborhood with Enforcement.. 

I got a dashcam about a year ago and I highly recommend it. Only ever had to use it once when someone tried merging into me on Westchester but I couldn’t imagine not having it. Its nice because it’s always recording and just writes over the old footage on the SD card. Also has a parking mode that records when someone bumps the car. 

Too many idiots on the road these days…

• 3 weeks later...

An update .....  July 26 , 2021

We had radar put on the street and drivers were pulled over , even a bus was speeding . It helps somewhat as most of the speeders will slow down as a second conviction could be very costly . Today , I received a "resident" letter asking us to contact 4 city hall people via email , letter or phone and ask them to install 2 stop signs at this section of the road ,with cross walks !  It will make the road crossings safer for sure but expect more noise as the Indy drivers put the peddle  to the floor as they get their thrills from the noise . If you travel south down Cataract Rd. near Holland Rd & hwy 20, there are 2 stop signs at 2 lane ways with one house 1/4 mile down the road !  I have never seen a car come out at either lane . We know money talks . ...Hoping to see 2 stop signs installed soon .... or an automated radar unit  which they can put on my front yard anytime ! I'll only ask for 10% ....  

People down the street were using a hand held radar device today with large home made signs on their yard  "asking"  to PLEASE Slow Down . They posted a photo on Facebook showing a car doing 82 km. today in front of there house .  These "radar" units are probably not legal for ticket purposes but can be shown on the web. I tried to find these devices on google to no avail , only speed devices for sports .

I hope to hear from one of the city councilors  I wrote to....but not holding my breath waiting for a reply . 

Well ...low and behold I got 3 emails from the 2 councilors & one from the mayor !!  All three said "There was a problem sending ...bla bla ,and they will try sending my emails again . When I hit the send button , it said "Message was Sent"  ( but not received ) ??  

It sounds like you have their attention. Speed bumps tend to work better than anything to slow traffic. Lake St in Grimsby used to be a raceway, speed bumps were the only thing that eventually worked.

37 minutes ago, Surf and Turf said:

It sounds like you have their attention. Speed bumps tend to work better than anything to slow traffic. Lake St in Grimsby used to be a raceway, speed bumps were the only thing that eventually worked.

I would like to see a big bump right in front of my house and watch the low profile "sport" cars lose half their undercarriage . ...but they would sue the city . City buses run this street and if a passenger goes flying out the window ......   I think installing an auto speed detector would be the best option . People will quickly learn to slow down or get a fine in their mailbox .   Allow 5 km  over 55 km.... I do 45k down this busy street and it takes me 3.7 seconds longer to reach the corner of St. Paul (4 way stop) .

On 7/28/2021 at 8:31 AM, Surf and Turf said:

Unfortunately my 3 emails were rejected .  They all post their email addy but it looks like they don't answer them .

Google Mail said they would try for 45 hrs. ....then 20 more hours but no answer from any of them . I don't expect to see anything done ....

This is the answer I got from Google mail giving reasons why my emails were not accepted ......

Reject emails.PNG

17 hours ago, smerchly said:

Unfortunately my 3 emails were rejected .  They all post their email addy but it looks like they don't answer them .

Google Mail said they would try for 45 hrs. ....then 20 more hours but no answer from any of them . I don't expect to see anything done ....

This is the answer I got from Google mail giving reasons why my emails were not accepted ......

Reject emails.PNG

Politicians hard at work for their constituents! Arggh!

22 hours ago, Surf and Turf said:

Politicians hard at work for their constituents! Arggh!

They all got their letters from us about ignoring your voters ......

We can make our leaflets pretty cheap these days !   

mail delivery.PNG

On 8/1/2021 at 4:59 PM, Loonietoon1 said:

Call City Hall on Tuesday’s and ask for the Councillor for your area and get their number… that might help

Maybe best to have 50 people show up at a council meeting ......oops ,  no can do until the C-19 bill "passes" ......

I sent another email to M .Harris ....not a nice one , to let him know .......

And to please remove his email addy if he hasn't the time to answer .....Got this same answer from Mail Delivery ...

Emailed Wayne Gates ... know him from GM ....got a reply in 10 hours . He has already talked with our 2 councilors about the matter . For some unknown reason my emails don't seem to reach council .Of course they will be doing a study now ...... Two signs " 40 K " would be a good start !