New Camera

smerchly

All I want is a point and shoot like I have now ( Samsung WB700 ) . It still works fine but the chord will not charge after it was dropped on the floor but it will download . I've had it for 8-9 years or more .... It's 14 mps & 18X zoom , been a good camera but lots of noise on videos now . Time for a new one ! 

New ones are loaded with more technology , like WiFi . I want a small camera to toss in my back pack or pocket ,so I'm downsizing . Best Buy didn't have much unless I win the lottery . I found THIS one on line at Henry's (just down the road) and it's close to my price range . I also want to get a small tripod about 12" high for those whales I hope to catch .

Any comments on this little gem ?   It

It's $220 at Henry's....

https://www.canon.ca/en/product?name=PowerShot_ELPH_190_IS&category=/en/products/Cameras/Compact-Digital-Cameras/Point-and-Shoot-Cameras#features

I honestly haven't heard of anyone buying a camera or camcorder in years. With basically any newer cell phone the camera quality is as good or better than any camera I ever owned. If we are talking professional photography well that's another story. 

For many years I have had a compact Canon digital camera of excellent quality. I always brought it on hunting and fishing trips. When I went on my African Safari several years ago, I took literally hundreds of photos while traveling to the various hunting areas or when sitting in the blinds. They included all the plains game species as well as countless giraffes, zebras, baboons, ostriches, even some hippos. On my return home I immediately popped out the card and made my way to Walmart to print out the pictures. I carefully placed the chip on my console but had to stop abruptly and the chip slid under the dashboard radio and heater controls. I can't reach in with anything larger than a very tiny wire and although I have tried many times, it is still there. Short of dismantling the dash I don't know what else to do to retrieve it.   On the subject of older cameras and film, I know some professionals still use them but it has been a very long time since I have seen any stores offering film for sale or the developing of prints.

I don't have any interest in having a smart phone (wife has one)  , or joining any social sites like facebook , twitter , etc. ,just a simple camera to take pictures and a few videos. My wifes cell takes very good pictures . After the camera is bought there's no further costs . 

Verado ,   I hope that card can withstand the extreme heat inside the car .....  maybe something thin like a piece thin plastic or paper with a  1" piece of sticky tape on the tip might stick to the card .It should be thinner than the card . Could  a vacuum with  a crevice tool pull it out ? I wouldn't be able to sleep until I got it out !   I can give you another 99 ideas ....   :read:

That's always been my thought too Smerch. Can it take the heat. I've tried the vacuum with no luck but the sticky tape could be worth a shot. Thanks for the suggestions. Like you I have no use for a smartphone or any of the social media sites. I have a basic cellphone mostly for emergencies, don't know my own number without looking it up. I get really tired of talking to people (my own family included) who cannot take their eyes off their cellphone screen for a minute

1 hour ago, verado said:

talking to people (my own family included) who cannot take their eyes off their cellphone screen for a minute

I hear you  Verado !   The phone controls them , called addiction .....then the phone owns them ....feel sorry for the future generations....

Maybe a piece of venetian blind with sticky tape on the tip , held on with duct tape . It's thin and flexible . I have some thin shim stock which is very strong and flexible.

My "little" phone is the Alcatel one touch , used for calling home a few times each year  lol   It costs me about $25 per year . (got it at dollarama)    :rolleyes:

Went to Henry's at 4th Ave and bought the Canon ELPH 190 ...sweet little camera . They don't include a card or a camera case and it has a lithium battery . 

Like most places now , they don't keep much stock in the store . I'll have to wait a week .(or so) It was easier buying many things 50 years ago. Much of our stuff was already assembled too . 

Looks like a good week to wet the lines , cooler temps and free showers .   :Gonefishing:

I have the new camera and got a sim card , but no cable was included in the box. I have been looking on line to find out if I can use a cable to download my pictures directly through my pc as my WM700 does ( cable was included)..... & very quickly,  and all pictures and vids are loaded up in Picasa in seconds ,ready to frame , enhance ,etc. 

If this new camera can't do that without using a card reader , it's going back . 

I still have my old Sony point & shoot (uses rechargeable AA's) and it has the little window on the camera which is superior  finding an eagle flying overhead  than on a black screen of new cameras. Sometimes technology takes a step backwards.   🧏‍♀️👳‍♀️🤽‍♀️☘️

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Smerch where’s all the fish pics?

New camera still in the box until I find out if I can download directly from the camera to my old pc  USB port , as I did today with my old camera. If I have to buy a card reader , the camera is going back & I'll order a new cord for my present camera . 

I took about 20 pictures today of my old bass spot at the 12 . On my out out to the vets I noticed the water level was down at the 4th Ave bridge , so I decided to check out my old spots . My best spots are now fenced off (fast water) but there were several openings to cast a line for bass , most with light weed beds a few few from the rocky shore line...and oh yes , someone dumped a big load of broken white lattice and 4x4 posts , hope they don't close it down there.... . I should have packed my rod with a few tubes and senkos .....or worms ! I just downloaded the 20 shots to Picasa , will post a few thumbnails later .

Just an update on the new camera ( Canon 190 ELPH) . ...just got an email from Scott Jarvis (Henry's) and he said I can order the cable from Henry's at a cost of $30 , plus tax . I answered him & said this cable is required specifically for this camera & should be included in the box as all my other cameras have done . I checked this camera thoroughly online before I bought it and seen nothing about having to buy a cable to download my photos directly to my pc. 

I have the camera all packed up and ready to take back for a refund . I don't like the way Canon does business to squeeze more money out of customers . 

.....Back from Henry's & was told all the companies have dropped the free cord with the camera . That $tinks !

I told the lady there I will not put out $35 bucks more for a cable that should have came with the camera . She said they should have a matching cable in the store...over to the cable rack and she pulled out a matching cable for $12.99 , less than half price from Canon . 

So I decided to give it a try . I may get stumped getting my pictures on screen if this camera doesn't download directly to Picasa like my other cameras did on the first use. . It may be a while before I am able to post any shots .......   

That is the business model technology is going towards unfortunately Smerch.  Smart phones no longer come with the wall plug blocks, other items have no cables ... I do have a box of cables I will never use, but will never toss em as a JUST IN CASE moment.