Buying gear to get started, online or Canadian tire? Thoughts?

trouter

Hey guys, I'm about to do a little shopping for new gear to go fishing. There is a Canadian Tire not far from me, but I was hoping to get some opinions, or maybe an anecdote on buying my gear online. I tend to do quite a bit of online shopping, and I am somewhat restricted concerning transportation (I am on foot, or public transit). I'm not rich, but I am looking to get the gear I need to, within reason.

things I need:

• Line (I have no idea for around here, I always got the green spider wire)
  • Swivels (3 way, and regular)
  • Lures (couple spoons, maybe some Rapala's?)
  • Net (potable collapsible net...easy to carry)
  • Boots (for Port Dalhousie trout and salmon, some knee high rubbers maybe?)

you get the picture....I need everything but the rod and reel.

Has there been positive experiences online? Or can Canadian Tire suit my needs fine for everything?

Thanks in advance

Peter’s Tackle in St.Catharines  is a great shop to buy your tackle. They cater to the local anglers and know what tackle works best for the local waters. Canadian tire would be good for boots and other outdoor gear you may want. Good luck this season 

X2 for Peter's Tackle , I got these ultra light boots online a couple years ago and I love them for winter fishing.  my feet are always warm in these boots .

https://gonats.ca/shop/eva-boots-with-thermal-liner-1590/?lang=en

Much more choice at Peter's . You can buy sinkers in bulk from the open bins , hooks & swivels that they packaged , and get advise on how to rig up for whatever fish you are targeting . They have kazillions of reels for every type of fishing with the better quality reels under the counter for you to look them over. Maybe you can get someone to take you there . I got my carp rods and reels there and just got a new weigh scale . 

21 hours ago, trouter said:

Hey guys, I'm about to do a little shopping for new gear to go fishing. There is a Canadian Tire not far from me, but I was hoping to get some opinions, or maybe an anecdote on buying my gear online. I tend to do quite a bit of online shopping, and I am somewhat restricted concerning transportation (I am on foot, or public transit). I'm not rich, but I am looking to get the gear I need to, within reason.

things I need:

• Line (I have no idea for around here, I always got the green spider wire)
  • Swivels (3 way, and regular)
  • Lures (couple spoons, maybe some Rapala's?)
  • Net (potable collapsible net...easy to carry)
  • Boots (for Port Dalhousie trout and salmon, some knee high rubbers maybe?)

you get the picture....I need everything but the rod and reel.

Has there been positive experiences online? Or can Canadian Tire suit my needs fine for everything?

Thanks in advance

I have looked into some of the collapsible nets and none of them impress me, you will want something you can extend, but the nets where the frames fold down will no a decent fish no justice and probably be more of a hassle.

Very few spots in Port D where you can climb in.  So just make sure you have boots that can deal with some rain/slush/mud.

2 hours ago, Snags said:

I have looked into some of the collapsible nets and none of them impress me

A good carp net folds up nicely & is strong enough to handle big carp . Never lift the fish with most nets , drag the net to you and pick the net up by the back rim . 

I made a quick Google inquiry and the first to come up was this ....from Amazon . This net and more to see on the page , looks sturdy , has a 62" handle ,and folds down to 22" . That would be compact enough to go inside a back pack .  ($30 ) You may find nets like this at a tackle shop  well .

My large 30" carp net has a 5 ' handle which can be pushed over the net ,& I added another 4' of pipe inside to give me more reach .

https://www.amazon.ca/QiyuanLS-Foldable-Collapsible-Catching-Releasing/dp/B08HM3WK2N/ref=asc_df_B08HM3WK2N/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459514535684&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7960447340687074557&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000776&hvtargid=pla-1020052144275&psc=1

Pete’s is awesome! When I got into carp fishing that was my first stop, and they out fitted me with the basics I needed to get started and then went from there. Bought my kayak and stopped In again and got the knowledge I needed for rod / reel / lures to use for martindale pond. Bought my boat and again stopped in and had some great convos about what type of trolling gear I wanted colours rods reels etc. Staff are awesome. If you feel like driving grimsby tackle out on hwy 8 are great guys too. More geared toward trolling big water but they do have a little bit of everything and super easy to talk to. Hope this helps. 

posting on here helps aswell as searching the site. I spend a good amount of time looking through older posts reading and researching In my down time to figure out what might work or not work at what time of year. I’ve been successful reading through fishing reports from years past at the same time of year I’m fishing to see what worked and try that and go from there.  

I’ll also add peters is my go to place, I find they have the best selection/knowledge.

I do buy fishing gear online when they don’t have what I’m looking for. I’ll warn you not to buy from American sites. I’ve been hit with fees/duties twice now and it’s brutal. 

Several years ago I received a flyer from Bass Pro for the great Canadian fishing week. Every ad had a maple leaf on it and they also said shipping would be free. I ordered a one piece ultra light rod that was $150 on sale from $300 figuring it was coming from Canada. After I placed my order, they informed me that due to the size of the box the rod would have to be shipped in, there would be a slight extra charge. The rod arrived the following week along with the bill for $150 plus the shipping and duty charges of $185 US. I immediately called them and was speaking to a lady with a strong southern accent. She informed me that absolutely everything that is ordered online from BP is shipped from their main facility in Missouri, regardless of what the ads say. I asked her if she really thought I would order a $150 rod if I knew I had to pay $185 in shipping, so I said I was going to return it. She agreed and said this one time she would waive the shipping. I learned my lesson and have never ordered anything online from them again. I don't know if it is still the same since BPS and Cabella's have merged. Anything ordered from Cabella's (guns included) is shipped from Winnipeg with no extra charges, duty or US funds.

BP has some nice clothing ( wife stuff too )  at reasonable prices . I have been there  once  to check it out . They may have (should have) some good quality UV outdoor clothing or anti bug clothing . I have no idea what their policy is for the c19 flu is now.....   

16 hours ago, smerchly said:

A good carp net folds up nicely & is strong enough to handle big carp . Never lift the fish with most nets , drag the net to you and pick the net up by the back rim . 

I made a quick Google inquiry and the first to come up was this ....from Amazon . This net and more to see on the page , looks sturdy , has a 62" handle ,and folds down to 22" . That would be compact enough to go inside a back pack .  ($30 ) You may find nets like this at a tackle shop  well .

My large 30" carp net has a 5 ' handle which can be pushed over the net ,& I added another 4' of pipe inside to give me more reach .

https://www.amazon.ca/QiyuanLS-Foldable-Collapsible-Catching-Releasing/dp/B08HM3WK2N/ref=asc_df_B08HM3WK2N/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459514535684&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7960447340687074557&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000776&hvtargid=pla-1020052144275&psc=1

Bass Pro has similar nets, they look decent, but after playing with it for a while in the store I am not convinced those are able to handle anything more than small fish, might be able to get away with a slightly larger than average bass, but forget anything bigger.

I bought my Symetre 4000 at Peter's and had it spooled there with 20# braid . :)  I have been to Grimsby Tackle also , got my Shimano Stradic 4000 fixed there and bought a super light perch rod. Let's support our small shops , they are very experienced to suit your needs and their prices , amazingly, are very competitive to the super duper giants . 

( been to Finnigans too)  B)

2 hours ago, Symmetre said:

Peter's is good. So is Grimsby Tackle. Support independent dealers, they will look after you right and give you good advice. People at Canadian Tire don't know anything.

And Canadian Tire stores are almost always community owned and not a corporately owned store

16 minutes ago, Snags said:

And Canadian Tire stores are almost always community owned and not a corporately owned store

And they all stock their shelves with Chinese made products ....made there mostly by American/Canadian companies . 

Walmart sells cheaper and Dollarama is cheaper yet . As my income diminishes every year and prices are rising fast ,  price matters , & I buy items that are on sale  ....( except I'll pay a few cents more to have an attendant pump my gas .  

Wearing these masks keep me from my usual shopping trips ....(unjabbed) ....saved some $$$$. 00  over the last 2 years ! $$ :)$$

Thank you all for responding. This has been very informative.

Peter's sounds like the perfect location for me to hit up for most things, especially the local knowledge part of it.

On 7/10/2021 at 2:43 PM, Snags said:

I have looked into some of the collapsible nets and none of them impress me, you will want something you can extend, but the nets where the frames fold down will no a decent fish no justice and probably be more of a hassle.

Very few spots in Port D where you can climb in.  So just make sure you have boots that can deal with some rain/slush/mud.

Thank you, this is exactly the kind of info I am looking for! 🙂

On 7/10/2021 at 5:30 PM, smerchly said:

Thanks smerch
I will probably buy this net,  but may also look for something with more length. Also want to make sure whatever I do get doesn't harm the animal.

Thanks everyone for the responses! 👍