Frustrated!

Tscov1

The hours of research, driving, and literal leg-work that I’ve put in to find fish is made so frustrating by the fact that there’s been zero pay off. 

Trying to get into some bass or pike from shore and having absolutely no luck. I know, and completely understand, people not wanting to disclose honey holes on a public forum, but I would really appreciate the help!

I grew up pretty much exclusively trolling for fish on Lake Erie, so shore fishing has been new for me these past three years and I’ve only caught one small mouth!

Ive gone really hard on the research of baits and locations this year to no avail. Please feel free to send me a private message if you would prefer, but id love some help. 

Photos added are some of my newer baits and rigs. 

Thanks in advance!

BB0B0CD8-47D8-4A5D-B0B0-05D9455456EF.jpeg

D9186CBB-AA66-4AC1-90B5-F31DF216C7A5.jpeg

40B788A3-77D1-4CBF-922D-1EB833637EF3.jpeg

The only thing I’ve been catching them on lately is a texas rigged green pumpkin senko and the ewg ned rig. My buddy catches a lot on the drop shot with a finesse worm on it. For some reason I just can’t get them to bite a moving bait… 

Haven’t really found a place that produces consistently, but when going from shore I find it easier to fish on smaller bodies of water. Just gotta fish a weedless presentation.

You can also catch smallmouth bass in the Welland rec canal from shore.

They tend to hang out just on the deep edge of the dropoff from the shallow shore edge.

There are usually weed beds just on the dropoff, and thats where the bass hang out.

Try floating or shallower running body baits or blade baits.  I have caught them on Rapala minnow baits and small blue blade baits.

if you wear a pair of rubber boots you can just stand in the water’s edge and avoid more of the shoreline brush as you cast along the dropoff to either side.

At the whirlpool (since it isn’t anyone’s secret) you can find them everywhere along the shore.  There are plenty of rocks where crawfish live in large numbers.  The whirlpool is down the wooden stairs. Hard to miss it. 

I have caught them on spoons, spinners, crankbaits, and even under a float twitching a gulp minnow or jerk shad.  

7 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Are you fishing the Niagara area? Try the upper. All kinds of shore access. Cast cast and cast some more. Drag goby baits along the bottom.  

I am in the Niagara area. Any place in particular? I went down to the Lighthouse Restaurant on Black Creek and tried there. That’s where I pulled out my kids rod and caught 15 sun fish. 

1 hour ago, Tscov1 said:

I am in the Niagara area. Any place in particular? I went down to the Lighthouse Restaurant on Black Creek and tried there. That’s where I pulled out my kids rod and caught 15 sun fish. 

Around the mouth of any of the creeks along the Niagara river will hold bass for sure, lots of musky, sheepshead, perch etc have been caught where you were fishing too. You have to move around and experiment with baits and presentation 

23 hours ago, Tscov1 said:

The hours of research, driving, and literal leg-work that I’ve put in to find fish is made so frustrating by the fact that there’s been zero pay off. 

Trying to get into some bass or pike from shore and having absolutely no luck. I know, and completely understand, people not wanting to disclose honey holes on a public forum, but I would really appreciate the help!

I grew up pretty much exclusively trolling for fish on Lake Erie, so shore fishing has been new for me these past three years and I’ve only caught one small mouth!

Ive gone really hard on the research of baits and locations this year to no avail. Please feel free to send me a private message if you would prefer, but id love some help. 

Photos added are some of my newer baits and rigs. 

Thanks in advance!

BB0B0CD8-47D8-4A5D-B0B0-05D9455456EF.jpeg

D9186CBB-AA66-4AC1-90B5-F31DF216C7A5.jpeg

40B788A3-77D1-4CBF-922D-1EB833637EF3.jpeg

I can relate to your situation....................I've yet to catch a fish this year (other than gobies).........................

2 hours ago, Tony said:

I can relate to your situation....................I've yet to catch a fish this year (other than gobies).........................

I’ve killed probably 20 Gobies this year. I’m glad I’m not the only one having these problems!

4 hours ago, Tony said:

Kudos to you for cleaning up the Great Lakes Tony ....well done !

1 hour ago, Tscov1 said:

I’ve killed probably 20 Gobies this year. I’m glad I’m not the only one having these problems!

The more dead gobies  the better . They are  pita bait thieves...keep up the good work !   

31 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Kudos to you for cleaning up the Great Lakes Tony ....well done !

The more dead gobies  the better . They are  pita bait thieves...keep up the good work !   

Thanks Bill......................Maybe I should start targeting gobies and maybe I'll end up catching a nice bass or something similar''''

3 hours ago, Lukefish99 said:

If you want to catch a bass I suggest heading up to the grand and tying on a small inline spinner and just cast it around. Went there yesterday and got 12 smallies is an hour. Biggest was about 1.5 lb but a bass is a bass.

That’s what I mostly fish with is a spinner on the grand. Bass and walleye and even some trout at the right time of year. 

On 7/20/2021 at 3:36 PM, toaster said:

Bass are pretty easy to catch at queenston 

This... lower has plenty of smallies. Personally I like the glen area. Find steep dropoffs or outside edges of rapids and toss a tube jig. Cleos are deadly on smallies down there too when the algae is not too bad.