Port Colbourne - Fishing

Snags

Just curious if anyone wants to share some spots, I am not looking for any secret spots, but something beyond the Sugarloaf area where it is too weedy.

Also can you kayak in the quarries and what species are in there?  The ones off of Quarry Road.

Thanks in advance,

Good morning Snags!

When my kids were young I used to take them to the quarry all the time to fish. I'd never bring a rod myself because I was WAY too busy baiting their hooks and removing  the sunnies which were plentiful to say the least. I've also seen largies in there and carp but I haven't fished it in at least 10 years.

The quarry at the end of Clarence st. Is alot of fun. With all the new houses on it you have to park at one of the dead end streets and walk the train tracks. Also fishing the canal at Derrick's point or right by the old Robbin hood flour mill. I use to fish under the bridge at the weir on kilaly st. Sandy Surfside also known as Scofield ditch on lakeshore Rd. Even the Clarence st bridge. Just park on West st. Walk across the bridge you'll see steps on both sides you can walk down. Fish the points. At the boat launch there's a Rockwall on the right side walk that out to the end an fish it. Bass,pike and perch.

Hope this helps.

If you’re talking about the ones I’m thinking of (Wainfleet Wetlands) I’ve fished those quarries a few times now. Last year I caught a couple dink largemouth I also hooked what I believe was a small pike on a texas rig but it snapped off before I could land it. Seen some carp cruising around too. 

In the early spring I was catching really nice sized bluegill and rockbass but last time I went the panfish were all tiny.

If you’re trying to get away from the weeds I don’t know if it’s what you’re looking for. I pretty much only throw weedless in there. 

How is the fishing around Sugarloaf? Been meaning to check it out sometime…