Lower Niagara July 22

GREYHAWK

Well the lower River proved to be its worth as one of the finest fisheries in the province. All told we were able to catch and release over 25+ fish. Sadly I only contributed 1 lowly bass to the mix. My son had the hot hand staying simple, maximizing out using an old CC silver jigging spoon and an original #8 Rapala Shad Rap. I on the other hand threw every thing and every technique at them and got nada in comparison. We fished 3 flats and 3 drifts in depths 15 to 25 feet from Queenston to the mouth. My son managed over 20 walleye - all good eaters - with perch, smallies and sheepies thrown in. The walleye followed a pattern we have noticed on the River…they amass on simple structure…so once found sit on them and enjoy. In fact, my son closed in on double figures in less than 45 mins. Though my production was poor…still a great day being on the Niagara fishing with my son….I’ll be back.

Thanks for the report. Do you eat the wAlleye from the river? I probably would can’t be that bad. 

have you ever seen any kayakers fishing the queenston drift out front of the launch? Not saying I’m going to but just wondering. 

Do not eat fish. Normally, it is catch and release unless fish is bleeding. Actually, I do not think I would eat any fish from the Niagara…hear too much about pollutants entering from American side. I have yet to see any kayakers fishing any of the drifts. Usually, drifting needs to be controlled, hence the use of bow mount electrics.

3 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Thanks for the report. Do you eat the wAlleye from the river? I probably would can’t be that bad. 

have you ever seen any kayakers fishing the queenston drift out front of the launch? Not saying I’m going to but just wondering. 

Not a good idea in front of queenston.  Heading back up river on the queenston drift drops you right in a huge current that doesn’t feel nice even in a boat. 

You go drift downriver but it’s still hard to get back up. 

You can kayak more near the mouth 

1 hour ago, Steve_Guelph said:

Tyler if you launch at queenston you can drift down river all the way to the mouth. Don’t go up river from queenston the current or back current is too strong.

I’d love todo this. There’s gotta be a guide/instructor that takes people out on Niagara 

There is a company that dumps tourists off in yaks at queenston then picks them up at the mouth.Never seen one with a rod though...and some of them where tandems.

I fished there a week ago and didn't opt for the year launch pass @$120...I was under the impression it was $100 so I just grabbed the day pass.After a great fishing session I talked with a gentleman that said he paid $40 for the year online.Thats up my alley! I can't find anything online supporting what this dude said...so today it's another $10!

If anyone has a link to this $40/year queenston launch pass...please share!

Fred

You can buy a $40 per year (usually $60) parking pass that covers the majority of tourist parking lots.  It’s good for 2 cars.  

This doesn’t apply to boat launch parking however.  Those are $120 per year I believe which covers the group of Niagara park launches including queenston. 

11 hours ago, fredfisher said:

There is a company that dumps tourists off in yaks at queenston then picks them up at the mouth.

I was looking at kayaking Niagara and seen they do that trip. I’m sure I could take a rod. I’d set up something easy. Swimbait on 3/4oz jig head.  At least get out and learn about the river. 

44 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

I was looking at kayaking Niagara and seen they do that trip. I’m sure I could take a rod. I’d set up something easy. Swimbait on 3/4oz jig head.  At least get out and learn about the river. 

Mouth of the river with everyone else. 

On 7/23/2021 at 11:40 PM, Tyler0420 said:

I’d love todo this. There’s gotta be a guide/instructor that takes people out on Niagara 

Try Cast Adventures. Paul Castellano is the best guide on the river and knows the river better than anyone I know.