Remembering when.....

smerchly

Most of us retired folks can remember when we had the Imperial system  for liquids and weights ..like ....

....gas at 39 cents per gal ...(4.55 liters) , or 10 cents per liter ..

...a "quart" of milk was 40 oz. .... 

...bacon was sold by the lb. (  454 grams) 

Now we have the metric sizes which are so easy to downsize ....like coffee cans getting smaller and many other products shrinking ....

Gas is now $6.00 + per gal . but $1.35 per liter looks cheaper  ...

Bacon is now 375 g....... just buy 2 packs !

Last night on the news .... a liter (1000 ml) of milk will be downsized to 750 ml . and NOT raising the price ...so nice of them eh ?

If we consume the same  as usual , we will have more packaging , and GARBAGE to recycle or fill our dumps . So much for "saving the environment" ! 

Personally ,  I  just buy less , spend less and look for alternatives and make some more home made items .

I hope we all get good raises to cover the new costs coming our way .....  ( compliments of the planned c19 aftermath ) ? 

Don't have to be retired Smerch to see the change,  yes everything is getting more costly. I still have to do a painful conversion in my head from metric to imperial measurements, and who's going to notice a few dozen grams/ml/mm, disappear.  My wife picked up some Dads cookies the other days and they weren't much bigger than a Ritz cracker!

Between taxes, inflation and debt it creates a vicious cycle.  Costs go up, prices go up, inflation goes up, rates go up to keep inflation at bay, wages go up to keep up cost of living, which drives up costs, then more price increases,  taxes go up to cover spending and interest cost on our ever increasing federal and provincial government debt loads. They are forecasting the interest charge on our debt to rise to approximately 3.8 Trillion annually, that will suck the future generations dry. Hopefully it wont turn out to be a financial death spiral for our Country in the coming years.

Our current prime minister and finance minister are throwing money around like drunk'n sailors (no offence to drunk'n sailors) With the two of them it's like handing a chequebook and visa with no limit to your 8 year old and expecting a positive outcome with the family finances. 

Next Christmas (2022)  I will have 30 yrs. of retirement under my belt . The years fly by too fast !  A pension of $1500 per month from my employer isn't quite the same after 30 years  ...ha !  I think going metric was a costly mistake . Mechanics still need both sets of tools and houses are still built with 4 x 8 sheets .& 2 x 4's . The metric system can very easily knock off a few grams , ml's and shrink quantities hoping we don't notice . What's next , a 300 ml beer ?  omg !!

There are some advantages to metric though ....my 33 inch pike is 83.82 cm !  :rolleyes:

Ya ,our children and their great grand children will be paying for our spending as most of their earnings are  grabbed for taxes . 

By wisely , read labels , remember sizes, and boycott (personcott)  ..excusum moi.....

2 hours ago, Chrisb said:

Grocery store advertise meat per pound. It looks cheaper than the price per kilo.

Ha , that's right , whatever is to their advantage they use both systems . When they first changed over to metric fishing line was sold with 100 meter spools that gave us an extra 10 yds but back to yards again !   They sold flooring by the yard , like 2.99 per sq.yard and now it's by the sq.foot ....not meters !  

And I find it comical when they still advertise something for 'only'  $ 999.99 ... They really think we are stupid ....and there's no penny change ! haha ! 

1 hour ago, genec said:

Biggest change I’ve noticed in product downsizing is with the loaves of bread.

WAY smaller than they used to be, and the price is way higher!

We buy regular bread and noticed smaller slices (diameter) . We sometimes buy caraway  rye bread in the half loaf size for a treat ....verrrry pricey !!

Coffee was one of the first to do this. I can remember as a kid when a can of coffee changed from a pound to whatever it was all the adults complaining. But they still bought their coffee.

So yesterday I went to the Beer Store ... ran out of beer a few days ago ,,,, I asked for a case of Lakeport Red , but they said they don't make it now .My last case was Rickard's Red ,about 5 bucks more . I spend 10 min.looking for it to no avail ...lady said they are out of it ....so got me some Miller Draft ...more pesos . It seems like they want to get sell the "good stuff" 

Last night I went to get a few groceries and a can of Folgers 925 gm  coffee ( $6.97)  The shelves were full but every can of "Foolgers" was only 750 gms. and priced higher at $895 . I'd say that was a "slight" price increase ......came home with a 925g can of Maxwell House for $6.97 .(should have bought a dozen)

I think those larger cans are history as they downsize our products and up the prices .  ( part of the covid plan ) ?  

Of course there will be more garbage with more packaging . And they go on about the environment , climate change , ect ect....It's no wonder so many know it's all bull crap and don't have zero trust in anything they say ....

So far , the dew worms on my grass are still free .... and maize is cheap !    :Gonefishing:

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

the dew worms on my grass are still free

you pay for those worms you collect on your property  ..  Property tax !

also the coffee bean crop in south america has been decimated by unprecedented frost for the past couple weeks, price will skyrocket and there will be a shortage in the near future !

On 8/6/2021 at 11:53 AM, NiagaraRiverFisher said:

the coffee bean crop in south america has been decimated by unprecedented frost for the past couple weeks

If it isn't global warming it's global freezing ....but climate "change" covers it all .  I still remember the dinosaurs  when I visited Yellow knife ,wayyy back !  

I didn't notice much change lately when most industry/business were shut down and a billion less vehicles stayed in the driveways , but I'm sure stopping the manufacturing of plastic straws for our water bottles will save the planet . LOL  

BTW ....yesterday's take home "gifts" at my carp spot ....2 beer cans , Tim's coffee cup & do-nut box, worm box , corn can ,and a vape thingy .....and some of these morons complain about climate change ?? These pigs need to change,  but that ain't gonna happen ....

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

I'm sure stopping the manufacturing of plastic straws for our water bottles will save the planet . LOL  

I really miss those plastic straws, pic for reference.....

plastic straw.jpg

1 hour ago, knightfisher said:

I really miss those plastic straws, pic for reference.....

plastic straw.jpg

Hmm, I don't usually use straws but if they put that picture on a box, I'd probably buy a box or two! Ha. Being a glass half full guy, I think see is undoing her top and about to let them loose!

1 hour ago, Surf and Turf said:

Hmm, I don't usually use straws but if they put that picture on a box, I'd probably buy a box or two! Ha. Being a glass half full guy, I think see is undoing her top and about to let them loose!

I had a great come back to your reply but got distracted yet again😳:P

29 minutes ago, knightfisher said:

I had a great come back to your reply but got distracted yet again😳:P

Lol, yes they are very distracting, I kept looking for the play button  but couldn't find...damn!

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of memory's  ....As I get older names are harder to remember .....

So , I joined a "Memory Club"  ....something like AAA , where all are afflicted with memory  loss . 

This is me , speaking to my fellow members .........

unnamed.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some of the ways they are using to trick us into thinking we are getting the same product . I think this will lead to buying extra packages as we consume the same basic amounts we consume and will buy extra , like another bag of chips or another orange juice , etc.which leads to more garbage to dispose . The metric  system makes it easy to do now . We don't have much choice ...buy or don't buy . Will we also see 8 fishing hooks in a package instead of 12 ? More garbage at our fishing holes.....

It was nice to shop in the US where a pound of bacon is still a pound ..... may be a viable choice in the future ....

Here's some info from todays paper ....  SHRINKflat ion....

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/ts/business/2021/09/02/pay-the-same-get-less-how-shrinkflation-masks-price-increases.html

We used to get good bacon at Big Reds for $ 3.99 lb. when on sale every 2nd week . Because of the tight crowding  there , we have been getting it a Walmart ...1 kg .@ $11.00 when on sale ...nice bacon . (True Value) . We divide it up into four packs & freeze it .  Fatty bacon loses 50% of it's weigh so your paying $10 per lb.We like the G.Forman grill which cooks it fast and lets all the fat run into a tray ....nice and crispy for our BLT's  or with fresh basil leaves .  2DI4 !   :wub: