Bait caster vs spin reel

Tyler0420

Thinking about getting a pier spoon chucking/ bottom bouncing combo. Can you cast just as far with a bait casting reel? I see guys on the pier using bait casters and seem to be doing fine.  Any pros/cons for using A bait casting reel?

GET READY FOR SALMON ACTION ON THE PIERS IT WILL BE STARTING SOON!!

0636CB1F-8558-4842-913C-4CB7C1D803F4.jpeg

aug 27th

A GOOD baitcaster will get you just as far if not farther than a spinning reel. I prefer the lighter magnum flutter spoons over heavier casting spoons and still never had an issue launching for distance. Lots of really nice baitcaster out there these days. Drags are better and more powerful on a good baitcaster. When i was younger, and lived close by I fished the Lower River everyday during Salmon run,a Stradic would last me a season. Baities hold up alot better and are easier to replace or upgrade parts. 

Big but though…..you need to learn how properly use a bait caster…casting technique and brake set up. In the beginning you will launch a spinning setup WAY farther if you load up with 10lb braid.  Also if you backlash a baitcaster it’s alot harder to recover.  

Once you learn the casting techniques baitcasters aren’t necessarily longer but they are more accurate for sure. 

The other thing with a baitcaster if you are looking for distance it that you absolutely must match your rod specs to your line and lure weights.  This is always a good idea even with spinning but is essential with bait casting to avoid back lashing and maximizing distance. 

Last point is that the minimum line you should put on a baitcaster is 20lb braid and in the beginning even that is difficult to manage.  If you can’t cast a 20lb braid and end up using mono (which is easier to manage) then the baitcaster will be way shorter in distance. 

21 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

Big but though…..you need to learn how properly use a bait caster…casting technique and brake set up. In the beginning you will launch a spinning setup WAY farther if you load up with 10lb braid.  Also if you backlash a baitcaster it’s alot harder to recover.  

Once you learn the casting techniques baitcasters aren’t necessarily longer but they are more accurate for sure. 

The other thing with a baitcaster if you are looking for distance it that you absolutely must match your rod specs to your line and lure weights.  This is always a good idea even with spinning but is essential with bait casting to avoid back lashing and maximizing distance. 

Last point is that the minimum line you should put on a baitcaster is 20lb braid and in the beginning even that is difficult to manage.  If you can’t cast a 20lb braid and end up using mono (which is easier to manage) then the baitcaster will be way shorter in distance. 

I get the whole bait casting thing I’ve used them before. Setting up the braking etc. good to know about matching lure weights to rod to help out. Braid will definitely be going on the reel. 
thanks for all info keeps me from buying the wrong setup. 

28 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

No need to use that heavy of braid with a good reel. I run 8lb fireline crystal on my Calcutta TE DC as my finesse reel. That setup does a tonne of winter floatfishing and lure chucking. Keep another loaded up with 20lb braid for topwater, bigger baits, etc. Better the reel, easier the setup as far as braking system, and backlashes are a thing of the past. Find spinning reels are way more succeptable to wind knots, twist especially with big spoons for salmon

Maybe using a more flexible rod with braid would be beat for those high flying leaps ?  I used a Stradic 4000  and 8 ft. rod with a lively tip for salmon with no problems , but ran 17 lb. Stren  mono as well . That was a longgg time ago and fishing from a boat .  Methods have changed a lot since then and so have the reels and fishing methods . I remember seeing all the flashes lighting up the piers !

17 minutes ago, steellee said:

No need to use that heavy of braid with a good reel. I run 8lb fireline crystal on my Calcutta TE DC as my finesse reel. That setup does a tonne of winter floatfishing and lure chucking. Keep another loaded up with 20lb braid for topwater, bigger baits, etc. Better the reel, easier the setup as far as braking system, and backlashes are a thing of the past. Find spinning reels are way more succeptable to wind knots, twist especially with big spoons for salmon

You are a pro!

😁

50 minutes ago, steellee said:

Find spinning reels are way more succeptable to wind knots, twist especially with big spoons for salmon

This is what I’m trying to get away from without going to mono. I don’t wanna fight a salmon on 8lb mono I’d rather 20lb braid for the same diameter. 

1 hour ago, Mbocco said:

I fight fall salmon with 10-15lb braid and a 20-25lb mono leader of 6-8ft with a 10ft medium action rod.

I’ve never in my life had a wind knot.  Line management between casting a reeling is essential. 

I use to get the odd wind knot on my spinning gear, but a quick second look and pulling out a few inches of line if necessary

took care of the problem. It's so automatic to do as I am closing my bail.

:Gonefishing:

If you aren't chucking heavy baits or using heavy line then stick to spinning gear.  I don't go higher than 8 mono or 20 braid on spinning gear.  Anything heavier than that and I use baitcasters.  Casting light baits requires light line.  How versatile do you want your pier chucking rod to be?  Spinning gear wins here in my opinion

Tyler this is my take on BC vs Spinning for pier casting. I find if I am casting for hours I prefer a bait caster but never for pier fishing. Accuracy is not an issue on the pier so cross that off the list. Bait caster rules for minimal line twist but if you use a good inline swivel to attach a good fluorocarbon leader 12” in length minimizes the twist. Windy days bait casters just plain out suck on a unsheltered pier. Line capacity on a bait caster designed to cast all day doesn’t work for me in a pier situation. Cast it out far, get a salmon on and you better hope he doesn’t want to go home or you run the risk of getting spooled. You can’t chase from shore. If I use a high capacity reel my arms and wrists just pay the price. As for line weight if use anything less than 20 braid or 12 mono and hook a big salmon with a heavy drag the line will dig into the spool. I love bait casters and use them regularly but for salmon pier fishing I prefer a spinning reel. As for wind knots I don’t have any issues unless it is below freezing and the braid type absorbs water. There are braids or super lines that don’t absorb water if your intention is to fish below the freezing mark. Another tip on braid or super lines. When your line is finally ready to change just reverse it so the fresh line on the bottom of your spool is now on top. The majority of line on your reel never gets used. Again this is my opinion for pier fishing not any other type. 

5 hours ago, Steve_Guelph said:

The majority of line on your reel never gets used. Again this is my opinion for pier fishing not any other type. 

I agree with your post Steve .  If you hook a 30 lb. king from a pier , I think 12 -15 lb.mono is borderline being spooled  unless your reel has a large capacity . I would like to see a stronger thinner mono for more capacity .  My "very old" D.A.M. Quick 440 came with 2 spools . The deep spool could hold a lot of 15 lb. mono( usually used the pink  Andy line , or Stren... dozens to choose from now !  There must be a favourite mono for chucking spoons ( big mepps spinners) from a pier !  ?

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

I wanna chuck spoons and night and bottom bounce Niagara in the morning lol. 

Do you have a baitcast already you run for bass? Maybe try 2 rod approach and compare, see which you like best. Should be able to find a good 8-9' spoon chucking rod without breaking the bank. Seems alot of people here prefer spinning. I love finnesse fishing and use spinning gear all the time for small plugs in the creeks but when it comes to fresh kings the baitcast rods are my go too.. 

To avoid wind knots with spinning…

1.  Spool your spinning reel to 1/8”

2.  As soon as the lure hits the water stop the spool with your other hand. 
3.  Before you reel, pull the line tight. 

4.  Match your lure and line with your rod. 

59 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

To avoid wind knots with spinning…

1.  Spool your spinning reel to 1/8”

2.  As soon as the lure hits the water stop the spool with your other hand. 
3.  Before you reel, pull the line tight. 

4.  Match your lure and line with your rod. 

If you want to avoid birdsnests then #3 is the most important rule most novices and amateurs don’t understand, it’s why you have a loop sticking out of your spool after you cast and started reeling. To eliminate line twist I attach my spoons and spinners with a snap swivel, tied to a leader which has an additional swivel, this double swivel approach hasn’t let me down. I also strictly use spro swivels and have been happy, DONT cheap out on terminal tackle, especially with salmon, you wouldn’t do it with muskie 

16 minutes ago, Bass-turd said:

If you want to avoid birdsnests then #3 is the most important rule most novices and amateurs don’t understand, it’s why you have a loop sticking out of your spool after you cast and started reeling. To eliminate line twist I attach my spoons and spinners with a snap swivel, tied to a leader which has an additional swivel, this double swivel approach hasn’t let me down. I also strictly use spro swivels and have been happy, DONT cheap out on terminal tackle, especially with salmon, you wouldn’t do it with muskie 

That's a great idea. I was having the exact same issues casting from shore at the upper river for walleye in spring. I was using braid with jigs and every other cast it was getting tangled. What a mess, and a time killer fixing it