Lower Niagara Shore Fishing

Tscov1

I’m sure that this topic has been beaten to death and then some. 

I’m looking for some suggestions on shore fishing spots and techniques for various species from Queenston Docks all the way down to Navy Hall. 

Very specific inquiry, is it worth while going morning fishing at Navy Hall for bass?

Thanks in advance!

7 hours ago, Tscov1 said:

I’m looking for some suggestions on shore fishing spots and techniques for various species from Queenston Docks all the way down to Navy Hall. 

Very specific inquiry, is it worth while going morning fishing at Navy Hall for bass?

Thanks in advance!

I was there only once last summer....................I didn't catch anything (which isn't anything new)............But I did see someone catching a nice bass......................But it's a really nice place for fishing.........................

11 hours ago, Tscov1 said:

Thanks in advance!

I’ve never fished there but I’m sure the shore lines hold bass. I’d throw minnow baits on jig heads

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

I’ve never fished there but I’m sure the shore lines hold bass. I’d throw minnow baits on jig heads

5 hours ago, Tony said:

I was there only once last summer....................I didn't catch anything (which isn't anything new)............But I did see someone catching a nice bass......................But it's a really nice place for fishing.........................

Went out and my brother-in-law ended up with a decent bass. 2.5#

(Scale is through hook hole in lip)

E77E3520-3071-4925-8610-3C99227520A3.jpeg

Nice chunky bass !   No prob .holding bass by the lip , it's accepted as normal .  

Many of my previous shore spots have be fished out  as I saw buckets full being taken for food  about 2 years ago

Spots with easy access are usually fished heavily  but has slowed down a tad as the c19 flu lightened the pressure .

I hope the fall season brings us back to "norm"  ,  but it has been nice to fish for hours at some spots and have the place to myself !   B)

2 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Nice fish. What was it caught on?

Ty....my last trip on the river , fishing by boat near Navy Is. was awesome , using live crayfish , drifting with a drop shot rig in 16 fow .

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Nice chunky bass !   No prob .holding bass by the lip , it's accepted as normal .  

Many of my previous shore spots have be fished out  as I saw buckets full being taken for food  about 2 years ago

Spots with easy access are usually fished heavily  but has slowed down a tad as the c19 flu lightened the pressure .

I hope the fall season brings us back to "norm"  ,  but it has been nice to fish for hours at some spots and have the place to myself !   B)

For sure. I have a kayak but don’t feel

comfortable casting from it. It is such a shame shore spots are so fished out. But hey, once in a while ya get lucky. 

All my life I spent fishing from a boat, trolling. Shore fishing and casing is such a new process and it’s been intimidating and frustrating. 

@smerchly, I hear that you’re the one to talk to about carp and such? I want to catch ANYTHING at this point and would love to feel the fight of a carp again. Message me, if you don’t mind!

I just came back from a three hour shore fishing trip on the upper. Got three smallmouth bass on a three way.

if I had a boat, I would fish the lower right now for bass and eyes, boat control is crucial, I would fish a three way rig with plastics and would get tons of fish.  I learned vertical jigging on the Detroit river fishing eyes when I was 18 years old.  Fishing from shore is tough in the summer as fish tend to be deep.

I am planning to buy a boat in the next two years when inflation drops, but right now in the summer months it is grinding from shore until the fall when migratory fish show up...

5 minutes ago, steelshady said:

I just came back from a three hour shore fishing trip on the upper. Got three smallmouth bass on a three way.

if I had a boat, I would fish the lower right now for bass and eyes, boat control is crucial, I would fish a three way rig with plastics and would get tons of fish.  I learned vertical jigging on the Detroit river fishing eyes when I was 18 years old.  Fishing from shore is tough in the summer as fish tend to be deep.

I am planning to buy a boat in the next two years when inflation drops, but right now in the summer months it is grinding from shore until the fall when migratory fish show up...

Shady what type of Boat are you looking at? We just picked up a Lund last year and couldn't be happier . 

2 hours ago, Darryl L said:

Shady what type of Boat are you looking at? We just picked up a Lund last year and couldn't be happier . 

Brand new Lund 17.7’ with a 60H, not worth buying used LOL, same boat 20 years old goes for 60% to 70% of the brand new boat value, crazy!

12 minutes ago, steelshady said:

Brand new Lund 17.7’ with a 60H, not worth buying used LOL, same boat 20 years old goes for 60% to 70% of the brand new boat value, crazy!

I completely agree. Covid has driven boat prices up big time. I've been offered 5k more for my boat now than what I paid last year.  Makes sense to buy new. You will love a Lund. I have a 60HP as well but wouldn't mind upgrading to a 90 or 115

Just don’t buy Lund from Pt. Colborne Marine!!

Wait weeks with your boat sitting in their yard to get service, then problem not fixed, but BIG bill for their “repairs”!!

worst company I have ever dealt with, and once was more than enough!

12 hours ago, Darryl L said:

I completely agree. Covid has driven boat prices up big time. I've been offered 5k more for my boat now than what I paid last year.  Makes sense to buy new. You will love a Lund. I have a 60HP as well but wouldn't mind upgrading to a 90 or 115

Hopefully , boat prices will drop to pre covid costs as lumber is a little cheaper now as stock yards are full . Other prices like gas will cause most prices to rise . There are those who will use any excuse to rip us off . On the other hand , people think nothing of buying a 70 grand truck or 50 grand in ground pool . 

My old 15.5' Legend seems to be solid (1989) .....but the newer big block 2005 4 stroke 50  Merc. sitting on that old transom  makes me a little nervous ......it's heavier than the old 1990 Merc 2 stk. 40 HP.  If the boat passes away I could opt to buy a new Lund and use my new trailer and 50 Merc , if that is possible.....

2 hours ago, genec said:

Just don’t buy Lund from Pt. Colborne Marine!!

Wait weeks to get service, then problem not fixed, but BIG bill for their “repairs”!!

worst company I have ever dealt with, and once was more than enough!

I ordered a gunrail for my boat many years ago from them . They said they could get me a used rail from the US next time they go there . About a month later they called and of course some of the holes didn't line up for the rivets (way off) !  It was a little beat up but I should have asked for a price for a new one ....but it didn't look bad after installed and cleaned up .

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Hopefully , boat prices will drop to pre covid costs as lumber is a little cheaper now as stock yards are full . Other prices like gas will cause most prices to rise . There are those who will use any excuse to rip us off . On the other hand , people think nothing of buying a 70 grand truck or 50 grand in ground pool . 

My old 15.5' Legend seems to be solid (1989) .....but the newer big block 2005 4 stroke 50  Merc. sitting on that old transom  makes me a little nervous ......it's heavier than the old 1990 Merc 2 stk. 40 HP.  If the boat passes away I could opt to buy a new Lund and use my new trailer and 50 Merc , if that is possible.....

Do you get out much on your boat Smerch?

15 minutes ago, Darryl L said:

Do you get out much on your boat Smerch?

Not at all in Niagara  , only use it at the trailer at Deseronto  . I was going to leave it there all year but they didn't have enough indoor space .  I pay $400 per season for a dock space and fenced compound space and launch .  I have my 16' freighter canoe for use in this area .....don't like the big lakes and crowded launches .