Wow !

smerchly

3 hours ago, NiagaraRiverFisher said:

Couple interesting things in this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPPkPAbzwbU

Like Engineering Explained mentioned in the top comment

Engineering Explained

5 years ago

You should simply use what is recommended, end of story. Most cars run regular, so put regular in it if that's what your user manual says. It all comes down to ignition timing, some cars can take advantage of more spark advance and make more power or more efficient power (and these cars will recommend premium). Also, at 13:46 the display shows regular fuel with 7 ppm hydrocarbons (and 6 at 13:38), but when they get into the premium fuel they don't display what the ppm is, just a random display with dyno numbers. Not that premium burns cleaner (that's not it's goal; it has more detergents for engine cleaning and a higher octane rating), but there's no reason to be misleading about it. Why not tell us what the numbers are?

You should watch his early video on the topic.

My neighbour has a 2010 Challenger , 349 cu in. manual shift , high performance (high rpm's)  , sounds like he is gunning it but not really going fast at all . He uses 89 grade fuel .  Real nice machine !  Once upon a time I bought my wife a new 85 Trans AM , ( $16, 000)   with a 5 speed manual tranny , 350 ... beauty car , ran it on reg gas .

Both her and the car "disappeared" shortly after !   :worthy:

....and as fate would have it .....I won 15 grand in the  lottery a few years later  !!    :P

2 hours ago, мормышка said:

You should watch his early video on the topic.

He explains it in simple terms . The computerized vehicles of today are much more sophisticated . I worked with auto/truck engines at GM for 30 yrs. We had a dymo-meter engine test room at the front of the plant where we could see the test engines running at various rpms . through a glass window ... Ran them steady for 100 hrs. on natural gas .The exhaust manifolds would get cherry red hot when at high rpms . then torn down and every part examined for wear . I don't see vehicles using natural gas now ......some using propane ? Seems to be a good way to cut emissions ? (but too dangerous) ?

9 hours ago, smerchly said:

He explains it in simple terms . The computerized vehicles of today are much more sophisticated . I worked with auto/truck engines at GM for 30 yrs. We had a dymo-meter engine test room at the front of the plant where we could see the test engines running at various rpms . through a glass window ... Ran them steady for 100 hrs. on natural gas .The exhaust manifolds would get cherry red hot when at high rpms . then torn down and every part examined for wear . I don't see vehicles using natural gas now ......some using propane ? Seems to be a good way to cut emissions ? (but too dangerous) ?

Many of the airport lincoln town car taxis/shuttles had propane add on for reserve. less power, but cheap.

On 8/21/2021 at 6:02 AM, мормышка said:

Many of the airport lincoln town car taxis/shuttles had propane add on for reserve. less power, but cheap.

I bought a large GMC express van that runs on propane a few years back.  Best decision I have made.  Runs clean.  Low compression so the engine lasts longer (just passed the 800,000km mark), and best of all its as cheap to run as my old Dodge caravan but twice as big inside.  No real noticeable difference in power either

10 hours ago, kgm said:

I bought a large GMC express van that runs on propane a few years back.  Best decision I have made.  Runs clean.  Low compression so the engine lasts longer (just passed the 800,000km mark), and best of all its as cheap to run as my old Dodge caravan but twice as big inside.  No real noticeable difference in power either

Physics dictates that gallon of propane has 27% less energy than a gallon of gasoline, the fuel economy of propane vehicles is slightly lower. 

On 8/26/2021 at 6:44 AM, мормышка said:

Physics dictates that gallon of propane has 27% less energy than a gallon of gasoline, the fuel economy of propane vehicles is slightly lower. 

Yes, the fuel economy is less.  100 liters of propane gets less mileage than 100 liters of gas.   But cost wise it is still significantly cheaper.   $.80 a liter for propane, or $1.40 a liter for gas.

On 9/2/2021 at 7:06 AM, kgm said:

Yes, the fuel economy is less.  100 liters of propane gets less mileage than 100 liters of gas.   But cost wise it is still significantly cheaper.   $.80 a liter for propane, or $1.40 a liter for gas.

Its the reason why propane is used. Lower cost.

25 minutes ago, мормышка said:

Its the reason why propane is used. Lower cost.

Would propane be much better than gasoline for the environment ?  If so , shouldn't we be using propane ? Vehicles also run on clean burning natural gas . Maybe we could get rid of those $$$$$ cat.converters .   (Some people install a pipe and can  the converter for better mileage ) .

On 9/3/2021 at 4:20 PM, smerchly said:

Would propane be much better than gasoline for the environment ?  If so , shouldn't we be using propane ? Vehicles also run on clean burning natural gas . Maybe we could get rid of those $$$$$ cat.converters .   (Some people install a pipe and can  the converter for better mileage ) .

Imagine the price for propane if everybody converted? That's what will happen with electricity if JT gets his way.

As for the catalytics, you'd have to by-pass / fool the rear O2 censor. When I had my '87 Buick Regal, that's what I did, but for more power. (free flow exhaust)

If you like diesels, best to get 2009 and older. Less emission controls and censors. I would not buy a new diesel anything.

Because of the changes in dispensing regulations, all of the stations selling propane here got out of it , now it is $25 bucks to get a 20 pounder at those tank exchange ripoffs for the barbie, luckily have a Costco down the road for 1/2 that.  Must be hard getting a propane vehicle filled anymore, not many places pumping like before.