Skunkeroo

smerchly

Been here since 1981 ....5 dogs later , we now have Maggie ,the holy terror !  I took her outside for a pee and  usually let her roam the whole yard .  I went out with her this time ....saw something moving under my canoe .... so did she !!  I thought it was a small possum ,but no no no ....it was a skunk ! Under she went as it gave her a shot of lovely skunk perfume ! She came back out and I had to grab her as she wanted to make the kill !  I picked her up and brought her into the house as my wife went "OH NO " !!  Out comes the baking soda , peroxide and Dawn dish soap and into the tub Maggie goes ! Got her cleaned up about 90% and tossed my clothes in the garage . 

I have the yard well fenced ...some 6' fence boards, some vinyl chain link fence with 1" x 24" chicken wire at the bottom . I can't find a hole where the skunk got into the yard ...will check every inch in the morning . First time in all these years having dogs !  Uggghhhh !   :skunk:  

I let the dogs water the front lawn late each evening. As I open the door they both stay on the top stoop and stick their heads between the railing to see whats happening.

They didn't move. I looked down and Mr Skunk was eating some compost I put around my roses.

Back in the house, grabbed a bucket of water, but Pepé Le Pew was gone. Lots of them and other critters around being so close to the 12.

My back yard is totally fenced but google says they can climb some fences and offer many tips . My sister lives down the road from you Dan and yes , the 12 is where many critters come from looking for some fresh veggies .

13 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Smerch that is brutal. Skunks can get through the smallest holes. 
my dog got sprayed twice in three days a few years ago. Worst time ever 

Arggg  !!  I took her out on a leash to pee just now ....and found the hole where Pepi entered  ....the gate we have for our neighbour to enter our yard to access his garage and sheds. The gate is tight against stones at the bottom and the skunk clawed his way under those stones . I'll fix his clock in the morning with some angle bar .

I hope he went back through that tunnel !  

Update .....  I installed patio blocks under the gate today . Pepi will have to find another way to dine on my tomatoes .

Maggie visited the scene of the crime this morning and left  Pepi a chocolate treat ....