Snap Weights

Dave

For any one interested here is a unique way to attach snap weights to your trolling rig.I did test it out today and the elastic bands held on both 17lb mono and braid..

Now you can eliminate the need for the Offshore snap if you want..I have spent most of my adult life as a fly fisherman so I'm relearning my life as a gear guy..

Since I have girl hands LOL I thought this was a great way to attach weight with out struggling with heavy snaps..Bought a bag at Staples and just tear off the elastic bands..

Had my first two Chinook hook ups today in a kayak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJlItYWd9vQ

That’s cool.  I just bought 2 of the red snap weight clips.  It cost under $10 and I’ve never lost one.  

I wonder if u hooked up with a rainbow.  Those are shallow right now but I haven’t seen any salmon in close yet.  

Did you see the fish?

I've caught lots of Nookies off the bank before and that was 100% a Salmon run on both the fish...

They were rolling on the top actually in mouth of Canal.I thought at first it was Carp but I got a look at that Salmon fin..

A good number of boats out today off of Port D..They all started shallower before moving out..

Watched the video, interesting but I think your typical red clips are easier. Am I right that hes now reeling the bands through his guides onto the reel? I used snap weights a lot this summer in conjunction with shorter lead cores. I clip the weights where the backing meets the leadcore as you dont want to interfere with the snake action of the lead. I tested the shorter 5 color cores with various snap weights vs your typical full colors and never seen a difference in action. Next year I am not sure I'll even bother with the longer cores at all as I have lead from 1.5-8 oz to play with. Must be chaos trying to unhook a snap weight in a kayak with a king on the line!!!

When I get to the point of actually seeing the snap weight I will let you know LOL!!I've only seen 70 yards of line peeled out so far..

I have a really hard time opening up the red offshore clips.Apparently my hand strength not good..So I experiment with elastic and found I could 

tear it right off the line...This will definitely be a learning experience for me...

Just out of curiosity how close could I get a large snap weight to the lure with out spooking Salmon?I would rather remove weight at the end of fight 

instead of in the middle of it...I was using the 50/50 method on one rod.But other rod had weight about 20 ft. from lure, the rod that was hooking up..

I would just have to refigure depth control....