Hows the fishing been ?

Fishguy85

Just got back from Port Dal....verrry windy , but from the south so casts very extra long . I had a good battle with a big drum that I thought was an eye and another good tussle with a smallie .  Water was cloudy and zero current which didn't help drifting the harnesses .

Lots of people coming with kids to see Thomas the Tugboat  while a parking attendant kept busy slapping tickets on their vehicles ....nice !

I have one week left on my parking pass ....don't know what happens Oct .1   

...forgot to mention ....I had a large trout or salmon follow my yellow spinner/worm right up near the surface and just touched the worm !  It was on the silvery side  , got me pumped for sure !  I'm using a 10'6" light action rod .

6 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Just got back from Port Dal....verrry windy , but from the south so casts very extra long . I had a good battle with a big drum that I thought was an eye and another good tussle with a smallie .  Water was cloudy and zero current which didn't help drifting the harnesses .

Lots of people coming with kids to see Thomas the Tugboat  while a parking attendant kept busy slapping tickets on their vehicles ....nice !

Hopefully after oct 1 it’s free parking :)

17 hours ago, Fishguy85 said:

Haven't been out since late spring but hows everyone been doing this Summer. I'm hoping to start again late fall and during the winter trying out my new ice fishing rod.

I haven’t been out much this season. Too much work. These people won’t stop building houses.  When I have been out it’s been pretty good. I had a blast fishing a carp tournament that I did pretty well in that was over a 2 month period. Got my kayak out on Erie once for walleye and hooked up with a nice 4lber so that was a win for me also.  Now continue fishing carp and start salmon/trout.  I could care less about ice fishing I wish we could skip that season. 

51 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:
18 hours ago, Fishguy85 said:

I haven’t been out much this season. Too much work. These people won’t stop building houses.

Seems strange in this "broken" economy there's so many new houses being built , most over $700 grand  

On the other hand , we all just spent over $600 million to elect the same people (deja vue)  and 2 yrs.ago it was only $500 mill. 

Seems to be lots of cash out there .....   :rolleyes:

I think I'll wait until I see the minnows before I try again , then go for perch .In the mean time I have a few pounds of corn and oats to feed the cows .....  :Gonefishing:

Had a great day with salmon last Thursday from shore casting and then the warm front came in and pushed them out in the lake.  This cold front/rain will have the main salmon run go up rivers.  Other then that, been a hot summer with little action except for carp which shut down in late July...

3 hours ago, smerchly said:

...forgot to mention ....I had a large trout or salmon follow my yellow spinner/worm right up near the surface and just touched the worm !  It was on the silvery side  , got me pumped for sure !  I'm using a 10'6" light action rod .

Start fishing more in that area, seen a guy catch an eel last night, about 30 guys casting for nooks but no action due to the heat.   Also, seen carp, big bass and salmon jump constantly.  I bet you that you catch catch perch on minnows later in the fall of the pier with browns as a bonus...

2 hours ago, steelshady said:

Start fishing more in that area, seen a guy catch an eel last night, about 30 guys casting for nooks but no action due to the heat.   Also, seen carp, big bass and salmon jump constantly.  I bet you that you catch catch perch on minnows later in the fall of the pier with browns as a bonus...

Funny thing about the eel ...I was talking to 2 elderly life time residents of Port Dalhousie who were walking their dog and one lady mentioned about the big eels caught there back in the 50's . some of those eels migrated way up into Short Hills . That's when the canal was open at Port , where eels could easily take the canal route or the four small "step" falls that ran beside the old "Rubber" factory as seen on the 1920 map . We had a ball there catching silvers every cast !

Got this picture in my Picasa Files ...had to add more contrast ...then snip it...As you can see there was a much greater volume of water at the 4 Falls &  "Lincoln Fabrics' had another building where we fished right beside it . At the base of the "Step Falls" we caught the silvers every June .  The water there was nothing but sewage , don't know how fish lived in it ...plenty of cats and carp and eels ......

Port Dalhousie Old Canal.PNG

17 minutes ago, fishingking said:

Went down to port dalhousie last night for a couple hours and managed to land two feisty males around 18 and 20 lbs

..had another on for 5 seconds and hook popped ...the wind kicked up and wasnt to nice to fish in..

Screenshot_20210921-212809.png

Screenshot_20210921-212544.png

Screenshot_20210921-212456.png

Beautiful fish! 

15 hours ago, smerchly said:

Funny thing about the eel ...I was talking to 2 elderly life time residents of Port Dalhousie who were walking their dog and one lady mentioned about the big eels caught there back in the 50's . some of those eels migrated way up into Short Hills . That's when the canal was open at Port , where eels could easily take the canal route or the four small "step" falls that ran beside the old "Rubber" factory as seen on the 1920 map . We had a ball there catching silvers every cast !

Got this picture in my Picasa Files ...had to add more contrast ...then snip it...As you can see there was a much greater volume of water at the 4 Falls &  "Lincoln Fabrics' had another building where we fished right beside it . At the base of the "Step Falls" we caught the silvers every June .  The water there was nothing but sewage , don't know how fish lived in it ...plenty of cats and carp and eels ......

Port Dalhousie Old Canal.PNG

Nice map! They should build a fishway to let the fish go up pass the existing dam, right now they are sitting ducks below both falls....Were you catching silver bass? My son caught one last Saturday about 1lb on a cleo...

1 hour ago, Bass-turd said:

Nice salmon, bet they were a great fight, what lure caught these?

As for the eel, was it an American eel? I thought these were endangered and catches are supposed to be reported 

Eels were open season way back then and they were usually put in the smoker .  

In Ontario, the American eel was finally listed as endangered in 2007. At this point, the commercial fishery had already collapsed (it was closed in 2004) and eels were virtually absent from Lake Ontario. In 2013, the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources released the Recovery Strategy for the American eel.Dec. 18, 2015

The life cycle of the American eel is very interesting . I didn't know they could live to be 25 years old .  While fishing for pike ,  at "Gate 12" at the old canal  many years ago ,  I caught a large eel  , using a chub under a float  ! ....strong fighters , and we always knew by the back & forth line movement we had an eel on the line .  They still migrate into the rivers of the eastern U.S. 

https://www.fws.gov/fisheries/fishmigration/american_eel.html

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

The life cycle of the American eel is very interesting . I didn't know they could live to be 25 years old .  While fishing for pike ,  at "Gate 12" at the old canal  many years ago ,  I caught a large eel  , using a chub under a float  ! ....strong fighters , and we always knew by the back & forth line movement we had an eel on the line .  They still migrate into the rivers of the eastern U.S. 

https://www.fws.gov/fisheries/fishmigration/american_eel.html

Hate catching those Eels.  Their  slime balls and usually get tangled up in your rig. 

Sorry for the delay nice salmon I use to fish for them with my dad got a few nice ones near Jordan 10 years ago. I tried 6 years ago in Port D with the glow in the dark spinners from Petes but ended up getting stuck on rocks and losing my lures. I kinda gave up on the salmon fishing its a pain coming from fort erie to port d and not getting anything and dealing with the crowds when i was there a guy told me there were guys fighting over salmon.

42 minutes ago, Fishguy85 said:

Sorry for the delay nice salmon I use to fish for them with my dad got a few nice ones near Jordan 10 years ago. I tried 6 years ago in Port D with the glow in the dark spinners from Petes but ended up getting stuck on rocks and losing my lures. I kinda gave up on the salmon fishing its a pain coming from fort erie to port d and not getting anything and dealing with the crowds when i was there a guy told me there were guys fighting over salmon.

The fighting still happens and Port D is tight with too many people around me. It’s not pleasant for me.  I only shore fish for salmon from 5-8am in the whirlpool or glen because there is always space at those times in those places.  Plus it’s better fishing then.