Jump to content

Hows the fishing been ?


Fishguy85
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Mbocco said:


The fighting still happens and Port D is tight with too many people around me. It’s not pleasant for me.  I only shore fish for salmon from 5-8am in the whirlpool or glen because there is always space at those times in those places.  Plus it’s better fishing then. 

Queenston docks is the same.  Guys show up and say "that's my spot" . Haha ya ok. Fist fights last year over shore fishing spots and even fights between shore guys and guys in boats trying to launch and running over lines etc. Bottom line is its WAY to congested, and not fun at all 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Darryl L said:

Queenston docks is the same.  Guys show up and say "that's my spot" . Haha ya ok. Fist fights last year over shore fishing spots and even fights between shore guys and guys in boats trying to launch and running over lines etc. Bottom line is its WAY to congested, and not fun at all 

Fishing for carp today , using 2 rods , not one other person crazy enough to fish in this wind today !   

Went for a walk after fishing & had a blast watching a 6 year old boy (with his dad) fighting a nice hen salmon with a 6' rod !  ...was using a big spoon , looked like it had skein .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice at least they had fun. My first salmon i ever caught was a 24 pounder i was excited as it was a big fish. I usually avoid queenston and stick to fishing the upper Niagara river unfortunately my father's up there in age and it would nearly be impossible for him to get back up the steps at the whirlpool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice haul where abouts do you recommend in port ive tried by the dam years ago but lose my lures to the rocks not to mention being crowded so you couldn't cast out far.

Edited by Fishguy85
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, fishingking said:

Good luck tyler ...if using spoons reel them steady retrieve as slow as you can without snaggin up

Yup that’s what I do.  Hopefully there’s  still some fresh fish around. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

if using spoons reel them steady retrieve as slow as you can without snaggin up

Have you guys tried using a 3 way rig using a Kwikfish ?  They can be cast out a long way with 1 oz. lead  and have great action at low speed .

I use a 12" drop for the lead weight and 3 ft. lead .....seldom get hung up .  I also like using a large Mepps spinner as I believe the turbulence from the large blade gets their attention ....slow retrieve with them also . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/25/2021 at 6:26 PM, Fishguy85 said:

Nice at least they had fun. My first salmon i ever caught was a 24 pounder i was excited as it was a big fish. I usually avoid queenston and stick to fishing the upper Niagara river unfortunately my father's up there in age and it would nearly be impossible for him to get back up the steps at the whirlpool.

I'm the same way...........................I prefer the upper Niagara...........................It's very relaxing, scenic, and little to no stress fishing.........................

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many follow the ships through the canal , seen them in a runoff ditch at G.M. , Glendale plant for years.

With more rain than usual , I expect them to make the trip to Balls Falls by now via Jordan Harbour and the Port Dal. falls .

Many more end up in local marinas to end their life cycle .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, deetch said:

The salmon run might be over at Bronte

Ya but that’s crazy. It’s still fairly early for it to be over.   I guess the fish didn’t have to wait around for high waters this year. Creek levels were high since the start of the run. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/9/2021 at 8:15 PM, Tyler0420 said:

Ya but that’s crazy. It’s still fairly early for it to be over.   I guess the fish didn’t have to wait around for high waters this year. Creek levels were high since the start of the run. 

 

Usually mid-October the run dies down in Niagara (can't speak for the Niagara River), but as someone who spends lots of time just watching them, the numbers of visible fish in the shallows starts to decline rapidly.  Went to check out on spot yesterday and it would have been easy to count the fish compared to if you were there two or three weeks back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, deetch said:

If I’m not mistaken Tyler the run at Bronte starts earlier than here and ends earlier.  I haven’t fished Bronte in years but that is my recollection 

Yes bronte definitely gets the run first. I’ve fished it quite a bit the last 6-7 years and don’t remember it ending this early. The fish are usually waiting for high water which they didn’t t have todo this year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...