Screw work I'm going fishing

Tyler0420

Took today off work so I could fish with a couple guys that I’ve been trying to get together with for a while now. It’s was a great day to be out. 
tried out some new gear(reels,pod,rod rests). Super happy with the new reels that I thought I was going to be disappointed in. We put 8 fish on the bank, biggest almost 20lbs but mostly smaller fish. 

97108437-3CBB-480C-8840-F5DA54E885E6.jpeg

A8AF3C02-6E3E-48C1-9499-C857278406B7.jpeg

603A9C3C-5B28-48CD-814B-4777B962E0F3.jpeg

Beauties Tyler !   I "should have went for carp today"  ,,,tried chucking spoons , cranks & Kwikfish for kings , until my arm gave out .  The fish are there but I'm very rusty when it comes to tossing lures . Next outing will be carping  !   Is that body of water out your way , near home base ? 

49 minutes ago, Bass-turd said:

Sweet catches, screw work I’m going fishing is something I wish I could say everyday 

Time flies BT ....in a few decades you will have lots of time to fish after retirement . I have had 29 years of  "retirement fishing" and still learning the ropes !

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Wow''''  I don't think that I've ever seen a carp that big..............Good for you.................Been a while since I've caught one.................

Come join the carp addiction, smerch and I could maybe put you on a few. 

I should have left earlier today ...got to the 12 Mile about 10 am & the water level was down , but rising as I tossed my line in & set the rod on a big rock . I had to take my bike back to the bank and start over from there .  As the water level gets higher it brings in some mud & weeds . First carp hit hard ,ran out a few ft. of line & got off .  Had a few hard bites and caught 2 carp after 12:30 .  Always fun to fight them in the fast current !   

!2 Mile low.PNG

12 Mile Oct 2, 2021.PNG

Carp 12 Mile Oct 2 2021.PNG

On 10/2/2021 at 9:38 PM, Tyler0420 said:

Nice catch smerch. That rock is under water usually isn’t it?

If the water is clear you can see that rock  . I catch most of my carp a few feet on the left side of the rock . 

As you can see it get real mucky there .

BTW Tyler ....those are mean looking reels you have !!  They must be able to hold a lot of 20 # mono  !!

Watching some carp vids tonight , found a new one,  2021  ,but I don't know what country it's from , looks like Russia by the comments . 

The lake is beautiful , like glass and they caught 3 species of carp , shore fishing with all the regular carp gear and baits . I took this shot at the end of the 40 min video . 

I usually scan the bottom bar to skip to the fish catching ! 

This one looks to be a grass carp ? Small scales like a bass ....

If you want to check out the vid , plus the girl ......   ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6lkCjCALaU&ab_channel=КатяРыбалка

grass carp.PNG

On 10/2/2021 at 10:37 PM, smerchly said:

BTW Tyler ....those are mean looking reels you have !!  They must be able to hold a lot of 20 # mono  !!

Edited by smerchly

The reels have the shallow spools on them. I didn’t have enough line to spool the deep ones. I’m guessing there’s 180yrds of 20lb(.43mm) on them. The reels are nice though. Smooth drag and they go from full lock-“bait running” in a half turn. 

I wickied it up and it sure is a tench , and they also have bream in those countries . With all the invasive species here they haven't been "transplanted " to our country... yet .The tench is a member of the carp family . Other carp caught on that lake....a huge mirror and goldfish .  It would be a blast to fish there !   :Gonefishing:

On 10/2/2021 at 5:02 PM, smerchly said:

got to the 12 Mile about 10 am & the water level was down , but rising as I tossed my line in & set the rod on a big rock

Is the current and water level in there just controlled by the dam by Decew? Tried it for the first time last week and the water level was low and the current slower and it was probably my best trip all year for bass. Tried again the water level was way higher and harder to fish… 

Nice carp! 

Ross....  yes it's controlled by the gen . plant at Decew. they can drop the water even lower if need be . Over the years some good spots have trees & branches from beavers cutting trees down . Fishing in the fast current takes practice and can be hard on the tackle box .  

2 hours ago, Ross said:

Nice carp! 

Thanks , it was under 10 lbs. but scrappy in the fast current . there are some carp well over 20 lbs . that can easily run 100 yds.of line out . I use 20 lb. mono to get them to turn around in that current . 

I tried Gibby today ....3 hrs. of nothingness , not a sniff . Water was clear and about 4-5' deep with a thick line of weeds 6 ' from shore . some slime and small weeds all over the bottom .,,,used pop up bait on one rod ,corn on the other rod. 

On the way  I spotted some shrooms .....only found one fresh edible one and the rest were passed their prime ....should have went a week ago . It's large enough for a couple of fat juicy steaks !!  

Big Shroom.PNG

Gibby weeds.PNG

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

I tried Gibby today ....3 hrs. of nothingness , not a sniff . Water was clear and about 4-5' deep with a thick line of weeds 6 ' from shore . some slime and small weeds all over the bottom .,,,used pop up bait on one rod ,corn on the other rod. 

On the way home I spotted some shrooms .....only found one fresh edible one and the rest were passed their prime ....should have went a week ago . It's large enough for a couple of fat juicy steaks !!  

Big Shroom.PNG

Gibby weeds.PNG

Maybe try fishing your deeper swims 20+fow temps are cooling down and they usually move deeper. 
What kind of mushroom is that?

We call them field mushrooms . They have pink gills (ya ,like a fish)  The small ones look like a golf ball , then get a flat top as they grow up to 6" wide. Very tasty ! ( I meant to say "on the way there I spotted the shrooms) ....got wet crawling under a fence  lol

I will be fishing 20 to 30 fow tomorrow Ty ...   just got my "rock rigs"  done tonight . 

43 minutes ago, smerchly said:

We call them field mushrooms . They have pink gills (ya ,like a fish)  The small ones look like a golf ball , then get a flat top as they grow up to 6" wide. Very tasty ! ( I meant to say "on the way there I spotted the shrooms) ....got wet crawling under a fence  lol

I will be fishing 20 to 30 fow tomorrow Ty ...   just got my "rock rigs"  done tonight . 

Good luck tomorrow. Wish I could get out with you.  Hopefully soon

On 10/5/2021 at 10:16 PM, Tyler0420 said:

Good luck tomorrow. Wish I could get out with you.  Hopefully soon

I blew it  !!    :wacko:  The old memory let me down !   

Got all the gear ready , cream corn and oats, a small lunch , ...got there and THEN remembered ,,,,, I forgot the maize , my main bait !  Off to Port Dal. to see if I could find my parking light lens that went missing last trip ...I think someone popped it off for themselves.....no parking spots anywhere near Rennie P

So I got gas on the way home .....70 liters  for $98 ...most I have ever put in the tank .  (saw gas @ $1.43 at other bars)

I may not have missed much today ....east winds in my face ,  water viz. brackish , water level low (slippy rocks)  

Got to the 12 a little late , went 1 for 2 today . Water was a high tide and viz about 2 ft.

got a few bumps on the corn puffs and maize , could be suckers bumping the baits .

The garbage people did their thing beside the trash barrel ....they will  gate the entrance off if this keeps happening .

Good day to be fishing ....cloudy with low sw wind .   :Gonefishing:

Fall colours are almost in full bloom ...nice time to enjoy the beauty ! 

garbage 12 mile.PNG

18 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Got to the 12 a little late , went 1 for 2 today . Water was a high tide and viz about 2 ft.

got a few bumps on the corn puffs and maize , could be suckers bumping the baits .

The garbage people did their thing beside the trash barrel ....they will  gate the entrance off if this keeps happening .

Good day to be fishing ....cloudy with low sw wind .   :Gonefishing:

Fall colours are almost in full bloom ...nice time to enjoy the beauty ! 

garbage 12 mile.PNG

Can’t believe the trash people leave behind. 
congrats on the fish smerch

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Can’t believe the trash people leave behind. 
congrats on the fish smerch

It's hard to catch them when they dump trash at night . The city will come to empty the trash barrel and take the other junk too .

At my fishing spot there was 2 empty pop cans and 2 empty condom pkgs.....lots of after dark activities goes on there !  

The carp wasn't big , but was a good scrapper and it came back upstream and caught my other line , but came back under it again . 

I don't take my big net as it is too much to handle with my bike . There's a nice little cut out to get them close enough to release them .

You can  the shadow reflection ... a guy was taking a video of me fighting the carp . I didn't know he was there until after I released it .

IMG_0223.JPG