tire change

smerchly

It's that time of the year to think about the snow tires . I have my appointment for Oct.29 , 9.a.m. for changing 8 tires and 5 wipers , at my own driveway (CAA)  Nice discount for the second vehicle .

They will even stack them all for me in the garage and bag them if I desire .

I can torque them after driving 100 km as I have a large torque wrench .  Nice to have this service . 

If anyone has CAA , check out the cost . It's a chore now for me to jack the vehicles up 8 times and trying to get the tires lined up with the studs !  (not a young stud anymore)  :(

Never had winter tires in my life. 

Some people swear by them, not sure I will ever put them on my vehicles. I drove back and forth from niagara to Toronto for 17 years for work and never had any issues.  I just make sure I get top of the line all seasons, and drive nice and slow 

32 minutes ago, Darryl L said:

Some people swear by them, not sure I will ever put them on my vehicles. I drove back and forth from niagara to Toronto for 17 years for work and never had any issues.  I just make sure I get top of the line all seasons, and drive nice and slow 

From the beginning of the c19 fiasco , my 2 vehicles haven't been driven 3000 km (together) !

We could get a $ break from the insurance , but we don't bother , plus another break for having snow tires . 

It has been a waste of time to mount them the last 2 winters . All local driving , no highway miles at all . ( snows help save wear on summer tires too) 

Since I have them on rims , i'll use them ...just in case we get a bad snowfall and need to have  extra traction . 

If I had a 4 x 4 vehicle I would use good quality all seasons .  My Astro is rear wheel drive and snows may come in handy when ice fishing  if a storm rolls in .

I had snows on my old Jeep Cherokee when we lived near Midland for 8 years after I retired, and they were needed there in some winters - in 2007-08 winter, snow was almost 5 feet deep everywhere by March 1st!

However now, living here, I never bothered buying them for my current Cherokee - just have a good set of Michelin all season tires on it.

Nowhere near the same amount of snow down here, and often more icy than snowy road conditions.

1 hour ago, genec said:

Nowhere near the same amount of snow down here, and often more icy than snowy road conditions.

You may remember when we put chains over the rear tires for icy roads , and they used sand on the icy roads . I got stuck at the bottom of a very icy road  near Smithville  and I used the buckle on chains  to get me up the hill .They wouldn't work on most rims today .  We also had studded tires that worked on icy roads .

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/4/2021 at 3:04 PM, Tyler0420 said:

Smerch take the savings, they already scam us out of enough money. 

Yes , with the price of gas now .......

The CAA guy came at 9 am today , changed all 8 tires , inflated them for correct air pressure , ran a battery check at variable rpms , topped up the washer fluids , changed some wiper blades  and torqued the tires .  Nice guy !   He is working 12 hr, days .....I would be dead after the first day !  

On 10/3/2021 at 10:00 PM, Darryl L said:

Ditto!

With. 4-wheel drive Jeep Cherokee  and good Michelins, I never need snows here in Niagara, cause we tend to get more icy roads than snow.

I did put them on my Jeep when we lived near Midland for 8 years, cause they got FAR more snow there.

When I had my 4 wheel drive Jimmy , no snow tires ....never had them on my big  90 Beauville Van either . These past few winters has not been "snow tire" weather in these parts either . This street get tons of salt and is plowed day and night when it snows , so my snows have really not been needed , especially  during this c-19 dilemma as both vehicles have very few miles on them . ....actually a waste of time to put them on .....but my wife drives .......❣️ 

I wouldn't drive in the winter without winter tires..................It gives me confidence on the road..........................Bought a new set of winters at Queenston Tire in St. Kitts a few year ago..........................Great place for tires........................

I think in the case of using winter tires,it's not the going that's the problem ,it's more the stopping control that u get with snows. Never know when evasive action is called for. This is when snows shine