15 yr old missing

DaveC

The mighty Niagara River is a dangerous place .  We must be very careful where we step . The rocks have slime on them ! Wasn't it about a week ago two people were stranded on a rock and were rescued ....others weren't as fortunate .

It has been announced they have found a body near the Navy docks ......   

In the whirlpool Monday AM as I was finishing up, a boy about that age showed up with his dad.  He was wading in about knee high which really isn’t necessary.   

The Whirlpool Jet came into the pool and did its usual loops.  The wake comes fast and if u r not expecting it it can be bad.  

I told the kid to get out of the water.  He just looked at me.  I said “you have about 10 seconds before it gets stupid”. 

Thankfully he listened just in time. 

On 10/15/2021 at 11:57 AM, Mbocco said:

No words from dad. No movement either. 

There has been people swimming at the Pool  .  They are completely oblivious to the dangers of those changing currents .

The "dad" might have moved if his son was washed off his feet into the current , and there could have been two lives lost .

On 10/15/2021 at 11:57 AM, Mbocco said:

No words from dad. No movement either. 

I am surprised Dad didn't tell you where to go in this day and age where people love to over react think they know better than everyone else regardless of the situation.

I haven't  been to the pool or gorge for over 20 years . Since then,  as the www has come into play, there are many who come from "elsewhere" who don't know the dangers of those treacherous waters . Are there warning signs at the main  passage ways  ?    ( maybe may need to be in 5 languages like the products we buy) .....

There is a caution sign I think at the base of the path.  

But then there is this big gigantic circular body of water with current flowing in 2 directions at a super fast pace which drops off sharply about 10ft in.  Oh that plus at 830am the water level rises as much as 6ft!

All that scream “let’s stand waist deep in this water”

What could possibly go wrong?

We have a similar situation at Port Dalhousie where some anglers will wade into the current  near the dam which also fluctuates with current speed and quickly rising water levels when the auto controlled gates are opened . 

Lake Gibson has signs all over the place telling people not to wade in the water ....mostly because they don't want the bottom stirred up to release deadly chemicals that came from the paper mills that are now long gone .  

In any case ,  Slimy Rocks are Greasy !!  

11 hours ago, smerchly said:

I haven't  been to the pool or gorge for over 20 years . Since then,  as the www has come into play, there are many who come from "elsewhere" who don't know the dangers of those treacherous waters . Are there warning signs at the main  passage ways  ?    ( maybe may need to be in 5 languages like the products we buy) .....

For many it isn't about the dangers, but the perfect shot to share on social media.  They are willing to risk their lives to get a photo that will give them 15 seconds of internet fame and money.