Niagara River Glen Closed For Fishing!

steelshady

That was totally avoidable and certainly not an accident. They should send him a bill for the cost of the rescue. Instead of no-trespassing signs post a sign that if you need to be rescued you will be responsible for the cost. I bet if that guy new he would be responsible for an expensive rescue he would have jumped off that rock before it was too late.

35+ years ago we used to go down to the whirlpool at night take a case of beer, make a fire, fish and hunt for lures until the wee hours of the morning half in the bag and don't ever recall hearing about anyone needing to be rescued. Seen people slip on the rocks and get a bit of a soaker many times, those rocks are a slick when the water goes down and I have taken a few tumbles myself on them. Kodiaks with the soles worn smooth don't grip slimy rocks well!

There was a guy a couple years younger than me at high school that went scuba diving there to get lures, he didn't make it out alive.

14 hours ago, steelshady said:

This is not looking good guys for fishing from shore the Niagara on the Canadian side....They will start closing the entire river from fishing piece by piece...

Seems like it... funny the US side has great trails almost the whole stretch of river and encourages angling right off their powerhouse. Than again they probably dont have Toronto day trippers needing rescues/recoveries a few times a week

The end of the day, the issue is everyone needing some social media validation, so they seek out taking great selfies with no knowledge of the area.  Look at last year when the trails around Morningstar Mill were shutdown, all because of stupidity and not thinking.  But we have been trained to stop thinking with how everything needs a sign, or terms and conditions and such.

Unfortunately it's not always "out of towners" that lack common sense. Years ago we use to fish off the deck of the power plant on the lower. One day some idiots decided to walk inside of the plant and take the elevator up rather than walk up the access road. That was the end of that. We used to fish below the dam at Port Dalhousie there was a young local guy that started wading out probably 4 feet from shore up to his knees in hip boots. Once he drowned doing it they really cracked down there too. We used to walk down the Maid of the Mist access road and fish the whole area without being hassled, I don't imagine that would go over well now. All you need is one or two people to steal, damage, litter, hurt themselves and sue to ruin it for everyone else.

I have fished all those places Surf ,  and I totally agree . I had a lot of fun catching the silvers at the hydro plant in the the spring.  We used to fish below the dam at Lock 1 at the canal and always caught a good variety of fish ....and smelts . All closed to fishing now . 

We still have the morons who screw it up for the rest of us (one bad apple....) ,and of course the numb nuts who leave their garbage . I tossed a huge ball of line in the garbage at Port Dal. yesterday . Today I was at Welland & it's usually  clean at the fishing spots .

On 11/2/2021 at 8:18 PM, steelshady said:

Trails are open but I guess you are not allowed to go down to the water, Cripps to ledge is closed since I don't think they know that trail lol.....The police did not kick me out, just two park employees equipped with a whistle and a radio lol...I am sure if I did not leave, they would call the park police.

And all they can do is hold you until the real cops come

Well, I got the following scoop on the weekend. The trespassing charges are at the discretion of the police. Basically if you are doing something that they deem as stupid, that puts yourself, or others at risk you will be charged with trespassing. If the fire department has to come out to rescue you and they and the police decide it was because you did something that common sense could have avoided, or you went somewhere you shouldn't have been, you will also receive a bill for the cost of the rescue which can easily run into the thousands of dollars. 

1 hour ago, Radio said:

Right on Surf and Turf. Can I ask where you got that information and where are the places you shouldn't be? I contacted the niagara parks a few weeks ago and haven't heard anything back. Thanks!

Direct from police and fire. Basically if you are off trail and doing something that your average person would know better than to do. If you are trying to access a fishing spot that you think that most wouldn't have the balls to try to reach, you might want to give it a second thought. Try to scale a cliff rather than take the trail like everyone else and fall, it's likely going to cost you. Wade out to a rock so you can extend your cast by 20 feet or get that perfect drift, then you're gambling your own life and money. If you ask for a rule book they will tell you to stay on the trails, and definitely out of the water.

22 minutes ago, Radio said:

Thanks Surf! So what I am getting out of this is we can fish the glen, just don't be an idiot or take any chances or it will cost you...

Correct