Jump to content

Rec canal


marktheperchman
 Share

Recommended Posts

Beautiful day. Just waiting for the fish to cooperate. It's been at least a year for me and the canoe so nice to just get out. Found some. 23 keepers almost all caught in an hour. 

16365575163734558348468983756479.jpg

16365753783501400243287362031839.jpg

Edited by marktheperchman
Added a picture
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gorgeous day Mark . I should be doing that today ...need to get my minnows for the winter , may have to visit your ditch or other spots nearby . 

 

GOOD Catch Mark . ( tasty little critters ) !  :wub:

 

There must be some spots at the river where the perch are biting .....  Good luck !

Edited by smerchly
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, marktheperchman said:

Beautiful day. Just waiting for the fish to cooperate. It's been at least a year for me and the canoe so nice to just get out. Found some. 23 keepers almost all caught in an hour. 

16365575163734558348468983756479.jpg

16365753783501400243287362031839.jpg

Looks like you got into some decent size perch. I was wondering where your perch reports were. I’m thinking about taking the yak out for perch/pike on Lpb Saturday. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tried the rec for a few hrs , lots of dinks under 7" ....one keeper ( released) .I only had worms so it was tough hooking those 4" ers as they tore up the worms  as soon as they hit bottom .  Some guys were getting more on minnows but also small ones. Next time I'll have minnows .  Should have went carping ....

Edited by smerchly
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice catch Mark. My stepson is moving to Dain city from Hamilton in April new house being built, very close to the old canal.

He's been bugging his mother and me to do the same.🤔😀 If we did I think I'd be on the water every day.👍😀

Edited by Fish Farmer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fish Farmer said:

Nice catch Mark. My stepson is moving to Dain city from Hamilton in April new house being built, very close to the old canal.

He's been bugging his mother and me to do the same.🤔😀 If we did I think I'd be on the water every day.👍😀

I couldn't believe the housing going up along Rice  Rd. yesterday !  Welland is expanding at a super fast pace . Enjoy the fishing while we still have access . I think they should stock it heavily with rainbow trout !  :Gonefishing:  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bill, thats not Welland expansion along Rice Rd., thats Pelham.

Their plan is for 5,000 new housing units to eventually go into that area over the next few years!

 

As for the Rec canal, I had submitted a 4-page proposal to Welland city council several years ago to place fish habitat structure at several places in the bottom of the rec canal to improve protective habitat and spawning sites, since the canal bottom is so structureless, but the city never did anything with it.

They were interested only in improving the canal for rowing to draw rowing events there, and didn’t care about the local fisherman.

Edited by genec
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, genec said:

Bill, thats not Welland expansion along Rice Rd., thats Pelham.

Their plan is for 5,000 new housing units to eventually go into that area over the next few years!

 

As for the Rec canal, I had submitted a 4-page proposal to Welland city council several years ago to place fish habitat structure at several places in the bottom of the rec canal to improve protective habitat and spawning sites, since the canal bottom is so structureless, but the city never did anything with it.

They were interested only in improving the canal for rowing to draw rowing events there, and didn’t care about the local fisherman.

I wanna get rid of my truck 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gene ,  I  was told they dumped a lot of Christmas trees  near the Lincoln St. docks well over 10 years ago . My son Dan has been taking a diving course there lately . I'll ask him if he has any knowledge about those trees .  Some fish , like pike , perch , bass ,come up the southern part ( Dain City) and spawn in the shallow weeds at the boat club. I've seen it loaded with minnows there in the past . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bill, christmas trees are only good as fish cover for 1-2 years (research I read about from Georgia when I was putting together my proposal).  Once they lose their needles, the fish no longer use them.  The best kinds of long term habitat cover is rubber tires, plastic items, or tree limbs.  I suggested that Welland use tree limbs, because at the time I presented my proposal Welland was having a major die-off of ash trees, and their would have been lots of limbs available. I also suggested tires, and plastics that were being dropped off at Welland’s land fill site (e.g., old lawn furniture), as they make good long-term cover habitat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, marktheperchman said:

I don't see how dumping garbage in there will help. There are lots of spawning sites for bass and good weed lines for pike. Perch dont need structure as they cruise the bottom looking for food. All you're going to do is increase snags.

It is not putting "garbage" in the water!

The rec canal has a totally flat, featureless bottom.  Adding isolated structure elements increases the fish holding structure capability, which can increase the fish populations of a water body.  It is a proven workable technique that has been used throughout the US to improve fish holding structure in various inland water bodies.

The NPC did it at 3 locations along the upper Niagara River to improve fish habitat a couple of years ago.

Just do a Google search for "fish habitat structure" and you will see what I mean.

Edited by genec
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The beavers have done their deed with creating fish habitat at the 12 Mile by downing trees which make it impossible to fish some good spots . It would be nice to know where they have put structure in places we fish by marking them with signs ,

 On an unrelated issue , as I was going to fish the rec.canal I noticed some large cornfields that were not harvested ?? Maybe after a frost ?   That reminded me to pick up some maize at Minor Bros.....but I drove right passed it on hwy 20 , thinking it was further east (duh).....I'll grab some next time I fish the rec. 

  Look like it's time to bundle up a tad as cooler temps on the way !  B)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, smerchly said:

The beavers have done their deed with creating fish habitat at the 12 Mile by downing trees which make it impossible to fish some good spots . It would be nice to know where they have put structure in places we fish by marking them with signs ,

 On an unrelated issue , as I was going to fish the rec.canal I noticed some large cornfields that were not harvested ?? Maybe after a frost ?   That reminded me to pick up some maize at Minor Bros.....but I drove right passed it on hwy 20 , thinking it was further east (duh).....I'll grab some next time I fish the rec. 

  Look like it's time to bundle up a tad as cooler temps on the way !  B)

 

 

Some guys are still trying to finish off the beans. Been so wet and the heavy clays that are over saturated don’t help. Greasy business. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with Mark. There’s tons of fish in the Rec and they have managed for so many yrs without our help. Sometimes we are nature’s worst enemy when we think we’re helping. Debatable either way. While walking Merrit island we have seen Christmas trees placed in the middle of the Rec on the ice close to the end of Thorold Rd multiple yrs in a row. I figured someone was planning a bonfire or creating structure 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We used to fish Lake Niapenco up in Binbrook and they too over did it with the christsmas trees and man made structure. It was such a pain in the ass to fish there. Constant snags and lost lures every single time we went there. Stopped fishing there for that reason 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Darryl L said:

We used to fish Lake Niapenco up in Binbrook and they too over did it with the christsmas trees and man made structure. It was such a pain in the ass to fish there. Constant snags and lost lures every single time we went there. Stopped fishing there for that reason 

If you are fishing from a boat  try a float rig with the bait just above the trees (for pannies) . The will come up for the bait . I usually add a small spinner to help attract them to the bait . Large fish , like a pike may try to dive into the structure ....stronger line needed !   B)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Morwood80 said:

While walking Merrit island we have seen Christmas trees placed in the middle of the Rec on the ice close to the end of Thorold Rd multiple yrs in a row. I figured someone was planning a bonfire or creating structure 

They place those trees there as a windbreak for when they're fishing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back in the 50's we would go with our fathers to ice fish at the Lake of Bays for lake trout . We were told to carry out a few pine branches to mark all holes we cut , using spuds . That served three purposes ....  to use the next day , to get water for cooking and to warn others .  That is all in the past now .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...