blow coming for Erie

Chrisb

The first big storm of the year could be here Monday for Lake Erie.

From NOAA.

MONDAY  

Southwest winds to 30 knots becoming west and  increasing to 35 knot gales in the afternoon. Showers likely in  the morning, then a chance of showers in the afternoon. Waves  4 to 7 feet building to 10 to 14 feet. Waves occasionally around  18 feet.  

MONDAY NIGHT  

West gales to 35 knots diminishing to 30 knots  overnight. A chance of rain and snow showers. Waves 9 to 13 feet  subsiding to 5 to 8 feet. Waves occasionally around 16 feet.

On 12/5/2021 at 10:26 AM, Mbocco said:

It’s going to make a mess of the Niagara river this coming week.   

I had to pick up some pills for my dog today near Port Dal.,so I checked the harbour to see only one angler fishing on the east side near the dam. The water was very muddy ! Then I saw a few cormorants diving on the west side in the shallow  marina bay ,so I thought they may be chasing minnows !  I saw a very large splash beside a cormorant that just surfaced ....looked like a big fish took a swipe at it ??  So I tossed a J-11 for 20 minutes but nada , then decided to get my 4' minnow net & try for minnows ...nada again . While putting the net away it was frozen stiff !  And so was I !!   

It was nice to give it a shot anyway , another day outside , braving the elements .....    B)   

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

I had to pick up some pills for my dog today near Port Dal.,so I checked the harbour to see only one angler fishing on the east side near the dam. The water was very muddy ! Then I saw a few cormorants diving on the west side in the shallow  marina bay ,so I thought they may be chasing minnows !  I saw a very large splash beside a cormorant that just surfaced ....looked like a big fish took a swipe at it ??  So I tossed a J-11 for 20 minutes but nada , then decided to get my 4' minnow net & try for minnows ...nada again . While putting the net away it was frozen stiff !  And so was I !!   

It was nice to give it a shot anyway , another day outside , braving the elements .....    B)   

at least you got out smerch. It was a chilly one today. Where’s the minnows??

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

at least you got out smerch. It was a chilly one today. Where’s the minnows??

I think I missed the boat on the minnow catching Tyler , but I will keep one eye open where ever I wet my line . 

Have net will travel ....with a slice of bread .    :Gonefishing:  

BTW ....the temperature here is 22*F .  ...too bad it won't last much longer ......   

3 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Did anything happen to Erie the other day when this big wind happened? Usually see it in the news but I didn’t see anything. 

I was thinking the same thing !   The wind really mucked up Erie & sent the muck down the River & the 12 Mile Creek system . 

Whenever Erie freezes up these tribs run very clear .  Other parts of the world are having very cold  stormy conditions . , even Spain !

On the bright side ......the weather people are usually 50% right .....   :santa:

Good to see no damage done .  My wife's parents had a cottage the same distance from the lake at Long Beach and most damage to the cottage was caused by wind and tree limbs . That big apple tree reminds me of my backyard red delicious tree that is now deceased . They installed a bunch of big cement blocks to help stop bank erosion .

Another blow coming Saturday. This one could be worse.

SATURDAY

Southwest storm force winds to 50 knots becoming west  and diminishing to 40 knot gales. Rain during the day, then a  chance of showers Saturday night. Waves 6 to 9 feet building to  12 to 16 feet, then subsiding to 9 to 12 feet. Waves occasionally  around 20 feet.

Forecast is getting worse. This could be a bad one if it holds.

SATURDAY  

South winds 20 to 25 knots becoming southwest and  increasing to 50 knot storms in the afternoon. Rain.

Waves 3 to  6 feet building to 15 to 20 feet. Waves occasionally around  26 feet.

4 hours ago, Chrisb said:

Forecast is getting worse. This could be a bad one if it holds.

SATURDAY  

South winds 20 to 25 knots becoming southwest and  increasing to 50 knot storms in the afternoon. Rain.

Waves 3 to  6 feet building to 15 to 20 feet. Waves occasionally around  26 feet.

I saw this on CH News tonight ....doesn't look good !  I hope it doesn't do a lot of damage .

Crazy for this time of the year .  If it was colder , it would create a lot of snow !  I still remember Hazel !

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

I saw this on CH News tonight ....doesn't look good !  I hope it doesn't do a lot of damage .

Crazy for this time of the year .  If it was colder , it would create a lot of snow !  I still remember Hazel !

Careful Smerch you are showing your age. Lol

9 hours ago, Chrisb said:

I was not around for Hazel but the family tells of rocks on the roof after that one.

My wife and family were at the cottage at Long Beach when Hazel begun blowing . They headed home to Chippawa just in time . 

We have snowblowers now ....piece of cake !

9 hours ago, marth11 said:

Careful Smerch you are showing your age. Lol

Joe... they say you are only as old as you feel ...... lets face it .....   

19 minutes ago, smerchly said:

My wife and family were at the cottage at Long Beach when Hazel begun blowing . They headed home to Chippawa just in time . 

We have snowblowers now ....piece of cake !

Joe... they say you are only as old as you feel ...... lets face it .....   

Glad there are some old weather veterans still around. If a Hurricane hit and flooded Toronto today, they'd have us riding recycled bicycles as our only option of transportation and eating tofu and grass clippings for our three squares a day!

58 minutes ago, Surf and Turf said:

Glad there are some old weather veterans still around. If a Hurricane hit and flooded Toronto today, they'd have us riding recycled bicycles as our only option of transportation and eating tofu and grass clippings for our three squares a day!

Not to worry , we can stay nice an comfy in our government mandated electric car .....  (today's news)