blow coming for Erie

Chrisb

35 minutes ago, genec said:

Re hurricane Hazel - my wife’s parents were in Toronto at the time with a church group.

Coming home when the hurricane hit, their bus was the last vehicle to make it across the Don River bridge before it collapsed.

Ole' Hazel did a lot of damage for sure Gene !  Today , it would be blamed on climate change . We had coal furnaces back in 54 to keep us warm.

The blizzard of 77 was also a deadly storm , most of you can relate to that one !

A guy from Port Colborne , Erno Rossi wrote a book about that , maybe some of you here may know him ......

...a short video about him with shots of the huge amount of snow ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyWxJXcAENA&ab_channel=YourTVArchive

Bill, I was living in Ft. Erie for the blizzard and teaching at Ft. Erie high school at the time.

I drove home after the school closed at noon, but ended up going back in at 2:30 when I heard there were still a lot of students stuck there - when I went to go back in the streets were already 2 1/2 feet deep, and I skied in on cross-country skis!

we were stuck in there with a lot of students for over a day, until the heating rads all froze up and they had to evacuate everyone because of loss of heat - we all got taken out by snowmobile because it was the only vehicles able to get around.

Snow depths around Ft. Erie were phenomenal!

Street around corner from my wife’s aunt - when they started clearing snow off streets they found  one car sitting on top of another - snow packed so hard driver drove right up on top of another vehicle.

After storm ended, one teacher living near the lake went to find a house where radio reports said someone had left a dog behind - they walked up a small drift to see if they could see anything, and found they were standing on the roof of a 2-story house along the lakeshore!

A snowmobiler out to deliver medications to a country address stopped and climbed up on a post to try and see a house - he found the “post” he was standing on was the top of a hydro pole!

I was ten during the blizzard, luckily my mom picked me up from school. A lot of kids were stuck there for a night or two. I remember the one side of a buddy's grandmothers house up the street had a drift right up to the roof ridge. We were sledding down her roof! Cars abandoned everywhere on side streets etc. totally buried you couldn't see them.

I believe a snowmobiler hit a chimney in Fort Erie if memory serves me correct.

The only good thing that came out of the blizzard was snow days. After the blizzard if there was any snow at all they would cancel the buses. A few snow flakes in the air would have us glued to the radio and praying for a snow day!

5 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Gene / Surf ....WOW !  Your stories may be in that book .   We never had snow days ....we had to walk 10 miles through 6 ft. of snow .......:rolleyes:

Uphill,both ways! 🤣

2 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Gene / Surf ....WOW !  Your stories may be in that book .   We never had snow days ....we had to walk 10 miles through 6 ft. of snow .......:rolleyes:

I bet that walk was uphill both ways and you had to share one pair of boots with your siblings for the trek, and fight off bears and Indians on a daily basis! The good ole days!

It is now 66*F with sunny skies  !  The night crawlers will be basking in the moonlight tonight ! 

We didn't get as much rain as they predicted which is okay as my back yard is saturated enough ! 

I hope it wasn't too bad down Erie way . The wind is still strong here in St.Kitts .

...looks like the next 10 days will be well above normal ....from 40 -50*F  ....  B)...:dunno:

21 minutes ago, Chrisb said:

It is just starting. The blow is supposed to peak at around 5 or 6 PM I think. I will heading to my cottage shortly.

Pictures and video to come tonight or tomorrow.

The wind has been very high here for the past few hours . I had to tie a few things down outside , surprised we still have power ! 

Erie must be getting bad now !  Careful of falling trees, etc. with the soggy ground .

Wow ,what a mess !  It's nice to have water front property but on Erie , even a break wall can get damaged with those high winds ....then ice tossed up from the lake can do a lot of damage . I was told they use longer nails to hold the roof shingles better for those cottages.  

Good to hear you didn't have any damage .

25 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

How’s the blow today? Pretty windy in brantford. 

Very windy here at St. Kitts , just as bad as the last one . Of all days ....garbage day  !  Street looks like war zone , recycle boxes drifting past my house ...found two "experienced ' condoms on my front lawn !!