Jump to content

Ice sled & safety pin...


smerchly
 Share

Recommended Posts

The runners have lost some shellac so I used a round wire brush to clean up the loose stuff ....lots of bare spots so I used a whole spray can of clear coat on the runners to seal them but I need to apply something better to protect the wood . Thinking using a boat/auto paste wax or a good varnish ....anyone know what to use ? Tin ?

 

The other picture is a BIG safety pin I've had for MANY years . Anyone know what it was used for ....(for the older dudes to relate to ) 

 

 

 

Ice Sled Skis.PNG

Big Safety Pin.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Captain Hooksets said:

Smerch, what works good is the boards from hockey rinks. I believe they are polyethylene. I think you can buy it in a sheet. Easy to cut and can could likely mould it with some heat. 

Thanks for that idea . The sled may have to be pulled over grass & maybe a little asphalt when snow is gone . That sounds good as long as I can bend it for the curve in the skis . I have some roof flashing galvanized tin that can be cut easily with my extra large tin snips , & use 1" stainless screws and a good glue . 

 

1 hour ago, Chrisb said:

I would use spar varnish on the old water skis.

The big safety pin is likely used for a kilt.

 

I still have a large jar of spar varnish that I've had for 60 years or more . I found a gallon of it at L.Gibson in the reeds and have used about half over the years and it stood up well (after a little thinning with Turps. lol

As for the kilt pin ...I have some Scotch in me , no, not that 80 proof scotch , never crossed my mind on that one ha !  I used that pin when I had my 20 gauge Cooey in my hand ..... 

 

Another option I have is using my belt sander to remove all old varnish and re-finsh  . I think the tin or poly would take more abuse .

... as you can see the finish is nearly half gone near the tips.

 

sleigh.PNG

Edited by smerchly
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Captain Hooksets said:

Smerch, what works good is the boards from hockey rinks. I believe they are polyethylene. I think you can buy it in a sheet. Easy to cut and can could likely mould it with some heat. 

I'm trying to find info on this stuff Capt . What is it called ? I  want to see if it comes in different thicknesses and how easy to bend . I can easily remove the skis and work on it in my warm basement . I'm thinking tin may freeze up on the ice too easily .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, smerchly said:

I'm trying to find info on this stuff Capt . What is it called ? I  want to see if it comes in different thicknesses and how easy to bend . I can easily remove the skis and work on it in my warm basement . I'm thinking tin may freeze up on the ice too easily .

Smerch, I found this website that you can customize an order and ships to Canada. If you read on the side, one of the uses says sled runners! https://www.professionalplastics.com/PuckBoardsHockeyHDPEfacing_KickPlateCapRail
 

You can likely find some of this stuff at Canadian tire or a sports store. It’s used as fake ice to use for hockey practice etc. 
 

CHS 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, coyotehunter said:

diaper pin for old guys?

HA !  I'll keep it handy  !  

As a hunter from way back you would know what the pin was for . If your father hunted , he would tell you .....

BTW ....I still have my first hunting coat , still fits perfect & in very good condition with a heavy steel zipper , hoodie , game pouch , &  made in Canada . 

I bought it at Russ Mosher's Sporting goods on St.Paul St. 1959 -60  when I was 16.  

Old time small game hunters would remember this big diaper pin .  :D

 

33 minutes ago, Captain Hooksets said:

You can likely find some of this stuff at Canadian tire or a sports store. It’s used as fake ice to use for hockey practice etc. 
 

CHS 

Thanks again .....I checked it out , priced the sizes at $40 , but it looks like another $125 for delivery to Canada .

I'll check local places . I am within a mile of C.Tire , Home Hardware, Pr.Auto .

Son in law works at a plastic sheet making place in Thorold ....next door to the boat repair shop ...hmmmmmm  ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, boogaloo said:

Horse blanket pin Bill.

 

You could be right on that one , the pin may have had other uses than for hunting purposes ....  

 

It seems , I must be the oldest dude here (78.7) , so I'll post a picture later of where this pin was used during my "early" hunting days . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

HA !  I'll keep it handy  !  

As a hunter from way back you would know what the pin was for . If your father hunted , he would tell you .....

BTW ....I still have my first hunting coat , still fits perfect & in very good condition with a heavy steel zipper , hoodie , game pouch , &  made in Canada . 

I bought it at Russ Mosher's Sporting goods on St.Paul St. 1959 -60  when I was 16.  

Old time small game hunters would remember this big diaper pin .  :D

 

Thanks again .....I checked it out , priced the sizes at $40 , but it looks like another $125 for delivery to Canada .

I'll check local places . I am within a mile of C.Tire , Home Hardware, Pr.Auto .

Son in law works at a plastic sheet making place in Thorold ....next door to the boat repair shop ...hmmmmmm  ....

You’re welcome Smerch. Your son in law should know exactly what the stuff is and where to get it.  
 

happy jimmy rigging!

 

CHS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, fishingking said:

My friend bought a puckboard from canadian tire.....i believe it was 2ft x 3ft and was 50 bucks..its polyethelene and 1/4 inch thick or so

That is pricey stuff  .  I would need a piece about 6' by 15" for the two 7" wide skis .

I found my old varnish in the jar & it took some hot water and coxing with the edge of a 12" flat file to open the lid . I was surprised how well preserved  

it is and it applied easily to the warmed up wood in the sun . If I don't find anything suitable I think the varnish will keep me going for the winter "IF" we get some ice .

I'm already thinking about using my wagon with the fat tires ...with or without the sled.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

That is pricey stuff  .  I would need a piece about 6' by 15" for the two 7" wide skis .

I found my old varnish in the jar & it took some hot water and coxing with the edge of a 12" flat file to open the lid . I was surprised how well preserved  

it is and it applied easily to the warmed up wood in the sun . If I don't find anything suitable I think the varnish will keep me going for the winter "IF" we get some ice .

I'm already thinking about using my wagon with the fat tires ...with or without the sled.

Ski wax and elbow grease should do the trick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Surf and Turf said:

Ski wax and elbow grease should do the trick

I'll pick some up and apply it after giving the spar varnish some drying time . The warm temps & sunshine was perfect for applying the varnish ....looking good !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The material would have to be flexible enough for the bend on the skis . That heavy plastic the kids use for sliding down hills is very slick and tough ,and cheap , would need to find a way to stick it to the skis . ( glue , staples )

 

Now about that pin fellow hunters .....I couldn't find anything on it from the Ontario regs .from the 60's but they were also used state side .

  Here's what we used them for ...... pinned on the back in a plastic pouch .   

 

 

 

hunting tag.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, floatman said:

Many years ago I had a pin like that to keep the kilt closed.

Don't wear one anymore..lol

 

That's a lot of pin to close the gap on a kilt .....need to be verrrry careful not to stab the twins .....   :unsure: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...