Wind storm damage

Bass-turd

Well I talked to my parents who live in Stoney creek and our canoe suffered major damage during the wind storm. I have a 14ft square back freighter style that weighs close to 100lbs. We had it sitting upside down on top of my 14ft aluminum boat, we figured it will be secure sitting inside of it. Apparently the wind gust was strong enough to lift the canoe out of the boat and slam it against my mothers car. The side mirror went completely through the side of the canoe, hole large enough to put my leg through. I honestly didn’t think the wind could do this considering it takes my cousin and I, both over 6ft and strong, to lift this thing, and we can’t throw it. We just finished some fibreglass work on it this past fall. My parents were on their way to church and my dad was in the car waiting for my mother when it happened, had this happened as she was getting in the vehicle I’d hate to think of what could have been, so lucky and unlucky at the same time.

The pics show my boats plus the damage, aluminum and trailer didn’t move. 

I’m also curious if anyone has heard of “Saagh fibreglass products” from Toronto, can’t seem to find much of anything on the web, my dad tells me he purchased it from the sportsman show in the early 80’s

B1490015-7C3D-48BC-97AB-339CB0C25A6C.jpeg

658D3A12-187B-4FBF-864E-7C84166D2022.jpeg

B9AE176F-371B-4481-B503-027D93CCAF59.jpeg

0DCBE330-9D51-4B7D-BD69-740CF7C10395.jpeg

" Holy" moly , that is a biggy hole in the canoe !  

My approach would be bring the pieces back together , flat as possible , clean up the inside around the wound using a fine wire disc on a drill , cut a piece of fiberglass cloth they use for auto body repair & pour  fiberglass epoxy over the cloth , let it harden and repeat on the outside . Warm weather required or warm garage .

My 16' alum.freighter is 90 lb. and has a patch about 5" x 5" ....easy to fix with aluminum . 

Good luck !    

Thanks for the advice, we’re probably going to try to fix it ourselves, although I’ve never attempted anything this major. Cuts and scrapes I can stitch, not used to bullet wounds. 

I’m wondering how much a body shop would charge as well.

Hey smerch, have you heard of that fibreglass company before?

35 minutes ago, Bass-turd said:

Thanks for the advice, we’re probably going to try to fix it ourselves, although I’ve never attempted anything this major. Cuts and scrapes I can stitch, not used to bullet wounds. 

I never heard of that company . I think it would be expensive to fix at a body shop ,would hurt to show them the damage for an estimate .

BTW.....

Button down the hatches AGAIN as another blow is on the way here . Why all this wind lately ? We need to ask Greta for advice or ask Gore to lay off the beans ....

Strong winds expected Thursday. Strong southwesterly winds with gusts of 70 to 80 km/h are expected to develop Thursday morning or early afternoon. Winds will continue through the day before easing Thursday evening. These high winds may toss loose objects or cause tree branches to break. Local power outages may also occur. 

Ya , here we go again , the usual warm crazy winds with more rain ....more muddy water . The temps are rising now right through the night until noonish tomorrow where we may see 60*F . I was just outside watering the dog & saw at least a dozen worms in a 3 ft. square on the grass !  I hope Santa has his quad ready to fly .  I'll look for tire tracks on the roof ...   :santa:

I should grab a couple doz.worms and use them for float fishing this winter ......

2 hours ago, Bass-turd said:

That's a bummer. I've done a few fibreglass repairs and they are very time consuming, not really difficult but kinda tedious. If you had to pay someone else to complete the repair it would be cheaper to replace. Once you grind out all the damaged glass you are going to have a hole the size of a basketball to glass back in so definitely not a quick fix. Once you have all the damage removed then one carefully laid layer of glass cloth on the inside, then you can start building it up on the outside until you match the thickness of the rest of the hull. If you want to pm me I can give you some tips