Sad to see

smerchly

The masts are coming down from the tall ship at Jordan by Jan.10 The coast guard has deemed them unsafe . I will miss seeing those masts from spots I fish nearby and people will miss the masts who drive the QEW daily .  Another "monument"  bites the dust .    :(  

On 12/15/2021 at 3:12 PM, smerchly said:

The masts are coming down from the tall ship at Jordan by Jan.10 The coast guard has deemed them unsafe . I will miss seeing those masts from spots I fish nearby and people will miss the masts who drive the QEW daily .  Another "monument"  bites the dust .    :(  

I don't recall seeing them all the times I launched at Don Campbell's in the 70's, 80's and early 90's,  pretty new IMHO for " monument status "  Guess you can put me in the "eyesore"  crowd

Not exactly a monument Dave (just a figure of speech) , maybe just a land mark very well known to many travelers , anglers and especially photographers . When I fished for carp near the QEW bridge I could see the top of the masts . From Campbell's launch area the masts were more visible in the winter when the leaves were gone . Over the years the trees along the bank grew taller and obscured the view of the ship . Back in the day before the ship arrived , there was no Beacon marina and crowds gathered there to swim and enjoy the lake until they dumped those rocks as they did at Michigan Beach . A small beach remains there now.

Maybe now would be the time to haul that old carcass out to the lake and give it a proper burial and give the fish a home . 

And I now agree ,  it is an eyesore .  :unsure:  

20 minutes ago, deetch said:

The ship was brought to Jordan in 1997. ( 24 yrs ago)

I was there in the early morning hours watching the last fire that caused the final  damage to the ship . 

RIP  La Grande Hermine .....    

Jordan Tall Ship.PNG

• 2 weeks later...