Lake Nippissing Fishing Mission. Feb 6- 9 Report

scottydog

Well boys and girls. Finally our report from Lake Nippissing. Went up to Astorville to fish Jim Bows Cabins on Callander Bay from Feb 6-9 with Jeetmuck, Sirfishalot, Boston, Jon( Fango's Son), Greg and myself. Was a little late getting going Friday but we all hooked up and were in Astorville around 1:00pm. Took a couple trips for Jim to get us out on the ice with the snowmobiles and sleds. All of us at the huts by 3:00 or so. Did not take long to get into fish. Jon caught the first fish of the weekend. A mud puppy. Followed by a beauty Whitefish. All of us got settled into our cabins. Boston landed the first Pickerel of the weekend. A very chunky 4lb fish. It only got better. A couple more whitefish, a few more pickerel plus some jumbo perch. Mud puppys at night. End of day one. Saturday was far I believe the best day for fishing. Pre-big front fishing. Gene and I decided to venture around the lake a bit to find the pickerel. Worked up and down the shoals. Finally got a spot that produced some amazing numbers. Gene had the hot stick this day. Jeet's and I ended up with catching at least 20 pickerel in about three hours. Most fish were under the slot but did manage one over the slot and throwing six back in the slot. Also a ton of perch. Headed back to the cabins to find that the rest of the crew had a great day also. Lots of Whities and Pickerel. Thom had one Whitie around 5lbs. Had a great steak dinner, played some poker. End of day two. Sunday came in the middle of a blizzard. 65cm worth of snow. Was just nuts. A big difference from Niagara. The crew all decided to fish the same area Jeet's and I fished on Saturday. Set up the wind break and portable huts. Well all of us got fish. Pikerel, Pike, Perch and some big ling. Boston got one Ling near 10lbs. Weather got bad so we headed in for the Superbowl bash on Nip. Had a few laughs and watch the Steelers win. Caught fish all during the game in the hut. All in all was a great weekend with all of you boys. Great fishing, lots of good food and beverages. Was nice to be on the ice. Crazy snow though. Look forward to next year. These are my thoughts on the mission. There are so many memories.The rest of the crew will fill you in on their thoughts. Here are some pics from my camera. More to follow with Gene and Thom. This is what this site is all about. Having fun together while injoying fishing. Thanks again Jim. Will see you at the end of the month. Good fishing. Scottydog.

:)

p20300037sb.jpg

Jon with his first ever Whitie

p20300050sm.jpg

p20600420xc.jpg

p20400153iu.jpg

p20400118nw.jpg

p20400165om.jpg

p20400189qd.jpg

A smalleye for you Tommy Niagara

p20400204vx.jpg

Gene's large Pic

p20500330oo.jpg

Getting ready for the Superbowl

p20500303hs.jpg

One of the many fish Boston caught.

I am so ..jealous no that's not it ... wishin' I did go..no that's not it .... so much of a workoholic ....gettin closer....

BUTT HEAD that's it............

"Butthead"

I shoulda went ...

STUPID STUPID STUPID .

.HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA .

.. Next years even still a maybe......listen to this guy

;,,,, try to stop me from being there......!!!!! Slyatv

Guest Jeetmuck

It sure was a blast. Fishing was fantastic, food was great, and making new friends was the icing on the cake. Like Scotty sais, the storm front seemed to be a big trigger for us having landed and caught so many fish, not even mentioning the few very large pics lost at the hole.

No real hot baits or lures as long as it was coloured chartreuse. On Saturday I had set up a rig with one flo orange and one chartreuse Spro hook, and all catches came on the chartreuse. Stuck with that and jigging large swedish pimples to get them in, all big fish came off that set up with stinger hooks.

The set up was very good with lots of sleeping room, holes in the huts, all the amenities of home, day shacks, cleaning hut and heated washrooms...:lol: can't forget those. As for the TV, I brought that bad boy out purely because I thought it was going to be funny watching the Bowl on the Mickey TV, besides, I knew it would drive my girls crazy wondering where their TV went...:lol:

This was an unbelievably fun trip and I am definitely in for Nip Trip 2 next year, thanks goes to Scottydog for taking the lead on this mission and it was great fishing with Sirfishalot, Boston, Jon and Greg :P;):D . Sirfishalot and I had a little surprise on the drive home when the wiper stopped working during rushhour on highly salted and wet roads... :P , good to hear you made the rest of the drive home safe and sound.

Now on with some pics.

Sirfishalot showing off his new whaling ice rod and reel...:lol:

sirwhaling.jpg

First Whitey of day one

sirwhitey2.jpg

First Herring of day one

sirherring.jpg

One of them pesky little mud puppies

sirmudpuppy.jpg

Day two first light pic

scottypic.jpg

Day two fishing the shoal hot spot

scottysirfishpike.jpg

Same area, same day pike for Scottydog

scottypike.jpg

Boston with a beauty pic

bostonpic.jpg

Boston with a nice whitey out of the hot hole in the cabin

bostonwhitey.jpg

Guest fishstick

I'm at a loss for words. I'm so glad that you guys had a blast and made it back safe. You know I wanted to be there....I apologize again, although, at times you just have to do what you feel is best.

Glad to have you all back, and post some more pics....

:P

Welcome back Scott and all the guys.

Great report. Great pics.

And thanks for leaving me will all those fish to clean. Had you not tired out my son, I could have used it as a leaning experience and teach him how to fillet. He loved meeting everybody, had a great time, and wants to do it again. Well that’s what he said when he eventually woke up. Am trying to get him to the swill.

:D Great report Scotty glad you had a great fishing trip and a safe trip home we were wondering about you guy's and hoped that you took your time once you hit Barrie, While you's were gone I kept this board just a hoppen, Even got out to do a bit myself and I mean myself didn't have to baby sit none of these fishen pansies and instead of listning to all the :P:P I got fish and a new name The PRO ;) poor old fishstink he is besides himself now being fishless for 2006 I think I will have to lower myself and give him a hand :lol: Any way welcome back and will see you at the SWILLY. Rob

Congrats on the excellant fishing excursion . Looks like you had all the comforts of home ......like drilling a hole throught the living floor and pulling up fish ! :D I hope you had a good fish fry in the mansion .....you sure had a real combo of fish to try ( can the puppy) . I'm leaving for Nip . on Monday about 10 am . with 3 of my old buddies (all non -smokers) :P .........ya, the stuff really bothers me ...,,,,And we will grab a motel Mon.night ....fish all day Tuesday on the Waltonian reef and "maybe " drive home that night ..(doubt it) .I hope we have even half the luck you guys had and get a few nice fish.......ling would be just fine too :P Thanks for all the great pictures ......you must realize that you are spoiled now..........fishing around here will seem soooo ssslllooowwwww......w ! ;)

Guest Jeetmuck

Just waiting for Thom to get some pics on board (I believe he has those pics), I think he is working midnights at the moment, so it could be a day or two. The one was a monster for sure.

Yep, was a great time for sure, I will say it again, that was the most productive trip to Nippissing I have had in 4 years, I have been going there twice a year for a long time, and this trip rocked. Non stop action, schools and schools of fish would move it and out of the shoal we were parked on,and with all the diversity of fish species on that shoal it made for a totally awesome trip not knowing what would hit next.A very special thanks to Jeet for showing me the in and outs of his VEX :lol: , something to be desired bud. I have to have one now :D . Scotty, thanks again for the good time and all the laughs bud, you set up a class act trip and I wouldn't even hesitate to do it again.you da man. :lol: Your pal Jim up there has himself some set up, one of the best I have been at. of course it's not all about the fish,Jeet,greg, John, scotty, Sirfish(aka the champ of mud puppies) ;) , had an absolute blast fishing with you guys, looking forward to softwater action with yah's all. Unless of course there's a mission 2, hint hint :o anyone interested? I'd be in.

cheers boston.

Guest BrownBomber

Wow, that looks like it was an awesome trip...and so many species too, that's a bonus! I'm gonna have to get myself onto the ice one of these days.

What is left to say, it was an awesome trip with good friends,great food ,great memories and the best fishing in a long time on nip......Priceless.

As always there are a few snags with a mission like this. Like the guy who slept in :D .

The weather was great ,that is until sat. afternoon then it turned nasty. But that didn't stop the boys from venturing about on the ice. The helly hansen suit got a good workout , I never got a chill once.

We were onto fish from the getgo with whiteys,walleye and perch , oh yah ,and the odd puppy. :lol:

Friday night Boston was awaken by the sound of a bell on a rod at 2:30am only to find a mud puppy on his rod,Jeets and mine.What a diehard fisherman.

Saturday found Scotty and Jeets heading out on an adventure to find more productive hunting grounds while Boston and myself stayed back to fish the huts with some success. They hit the jackpot just off a shoal with some good walleye numbers.

Sunday found all but the 2 younguns out on the ice. It was nonstop most of the time there,with good catches. It was getting real easy to tell wht the bite stopped at times......PIKE. Scotty drops the jigging rap and wham he's got it. He followed that one up a little later with a bigger one. Within 10min. we were back to normal. Boston was all cozy in the clam, tossing out a keeper walleye from time to time.I joined him for a bit and and good thing to the temps were dropping fast!

Boston hooks into something of size and after a few minutes up the hole comes a huge Liing also known as poormans lobster. Wasn't long after that I hooke a smaller one.

Sunday night we found ourselves setting up for our superbowl parteee, only to be momentarily derailed with no reception. on the mickey mouse Tv that jeets brought.(a real mickey tv.) Never fear though, I had my underwater with the 5in. screen and after some fine tuning we were watching football.

We fished relentlesslyall weekend and were rewarded for our time.

The amazing part of it all was you never knew what you were going to catch from the same hole. In all I think we caught 8 or 9 different species!

Monday morn and its time to cleanup all the while still fishing. I caught a huge whitey 10 minutes before leaving.

Now for the fun part....leaving. The operator came and away Boston and I go . With all the snow we'ed been having it was a trip off from hell.We had about 2ft of snow drifting with high winds. Well we bogged down within the first 5min and had to unload the sled and carry everthing a 100 yrds to solid pack. Then pack up again and go. It took 1 1/2 hrs for us and another 2 hours for the others.

Finally ready to leave and my wiper armature goes for a sh#t, after a quick fix off we go. it pooched 2 more times on the way back in those squalls but nothing Jeets and myself couldn't handle. it,s been a long time since I had to drive through weather that severe , white nuckled all the way to Hammy to drop off jeets but we did it.

This mission was a resounding success in my books and next year can only get better.

Scotty,Gene,Boston,what can I say except that I'd fish with you guys anytime.

For those who missed out for unforseen reasons, you were missed and I'm sure you won't want to miss

NIP TRIP "2"

i will atempt to post pics now that I have found a host,hope this works

my first pic

DSCF0153.jpg

boston watching the hole

DSCF0155.jpg

His first whitey

DSCF0156.jpg

first pic

DSCF0161.jpg

Genes herring

DSCF0162.jpg