Otter Lake

Mugen

Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering if anybody has ever been fishing in Otter Lake. It's a small lake just south of Huntsville and Fairy lake. I will be heading up there this weekend and have been told that there are only bass and a few trout in that lake. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Also I was wondering if anyone had any tips for any of the lakes around the Huntsville area? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Pictures and report will follow.

Mugen

Hey Mugen

We have a hunting camp down the road alittle farther near Livingston lake. I have never fished that lake but i have fish several lakes up in that area. In most of the lakes around that area there is mostly bass with some brook, splake and lake trout. There is a lake I think it is called Rockway lake and it has rainbows in it, but for the most part it is just bass fishing. Good luck and hope to see some pictures.

Jody

Guest efferJ

Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering if anybody has ever been fishing in Otter Lake. It's a small lake just south of Huntsville and Fairy lake. I will be heading up there this weekend and have been told that there are only bass and a few trout in that lake. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Also I was wondering if anyone had any tips for any of the lakes around the Huntsville area? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Pictures and report will follow.

Mugen

My cottage is on this lake - there is an Otter lake in the Parry Sound area, but its not the one Mugen is talking about. This one is just off of highway 35, just past Dorset - the "official" old time name for the lake is Tock Lake. Its generally a very shallow lake, with a couple of deeper basins up to 45 and 60 feet.

I have fished it for 40+ years. It really is "just" a Bass lake. The last Brook Trout taken was by a buddy in the late 60's. Pike were introduced by a cottager in the 60's, which finished off the Brookies. I tried to get the Ministry to re-stock trout, when our own Bob Welch was the MNR - they wouldn't because of the Pike. I caught a 40 inch pike there, when I was 16. Nothing like that has been caught in years though.

You'll find TONS of Rock Bass, which in my opinion, has made the Smallmouth fishing tougher. There are some Perch. My fishfinder shows a batch of small fish suspended in 40 over 60, or 30 over 40 - so far I haven't been able to take any of those. I am assuming they are Perch, not suspending Bass.

There's a set of small islands - a shoal really - you can find smallmouth there at dusk... the far west end of the lake has a few good spots for bass - sometimes largemouth will be taken there. Pay attention to the docks too... cottagers will be pissed at you if you get in too close & personal though. Watch out for my sister - she'll be there this weekend!!

Gotta say, the fishing has gotten much tougher over the years. I'll look forward to hearing how you make out. Maybe my technique (or patience?) sucks.

Archived