Caledonia Dam Fishing

Guest Alex

Great bow you have there ! I have never fished up that way .......looks like a good spot .I have only fished the dam at Dunnville and saw lots of bows jumping it to the upper river . But I have never caught one there ....only walleye and some of those big whiskered thingies :D

the bow is actually a bud of mine but there in there and also there are tons of white sucker and eyes up that way... great spot ... also u hav to try places like nanticoke creek .boston creek. and down the grouind river for like carp and some other massive bows

Fish on

Great bow you have there ! I have never fished up that way .......looks like a good spot .I have only fished the dam at Dunnville and saw lots of bows jumping it to the upper river . But I have never caught one there ....only walleye and some of those big whiskered thingies :D

Smerch you're jsut going to have to come up to Caledonia for a visit when the bows are in--think you will be in for a surprise how much of a fishery it is. Just gets better every year--usually starts mid sept? and peaks mid to late Oct. Fun to watch them try to jump the dam there.

Guest FisherNick

Caledonia is one of my favorite places to fish both locally and all together.

In one day you can get into Pike, Cats, Bass, Carp, Trout, Crappies, Perch, Pan fish, and tons of suckers.

The fact that its fished so heavily and yet still produces such great catches just proves how good a spot it really is. To any new comers a note of caution. This stretch of river is rocky, there are many holes in the area, either bring and use a wading stick, or go with some one who knows the river very well. Last summer two of my buddies from work went for a "swim" on two separate occasions, luckily they both came out wetter and colder than they went in but otherwise un harmed.

Without waders the fishing can be tough, as the decent spots get filled up rather quickly, and are quite congested.

Anyhow if you guys need any advice for this stretch of river just PM me and ill do my best to help out.

Cheers

Nick

I grew up in caledonia, I love the grand river dearly, and it does produce amazing fish year round.

the Dam itself is ok, and its definately overfished compared to a decade or so ago, but...

there are wayy better places to be had within 5 minutes walk from the dam.. and even MORE 5 minute drive from the dam.

Where you'll find the fish are more likely to bite then if you fish the runs around the dam.

pretty much anywhere along the Northeast side of the river between the caledonia Bridge and the end of the Fairgrounds , is full of beautiful holes to fish for eyes year round, and bows in the spring/fall.

i wade in around there as my 1st location on the river come trout season, others are usually out too but its not so shoulder to shoulder as the dam is, and you can catch some unwise fish that way.

could nice places up above the dam too, there are a few feeder creeks just outside of town that are great when floating minnows or running cranks.

grand river is a place to check out for sure. But be kind to the river, release as much as you can because its on the decline with the heavy traffic.

although somedays you'd never know it.

anytime anyone wants to go walk the river, i'll be glad to take you through it and show you the paths to take to get yourself in the middle where the fish are. shore fishing is great but wading in will get you some amazing opportunities.

Right now the waters perfect for waderless wading. and gives you the freedom to go a little deeper.

water levels up right now from rain, so be careful the current can get to be more then one expects from a river like that one, but its not called the Grand without reason.

oh yea, and the boston creek... the boston runs into Mckenzie creek wich flows into the grand river, boston is accessible on highway six south, near 4th line and near the golf course which is the best spot to start fishin.

The creeks flow into the Grand river in the town of York behind the big island. wade in, real nice pike spot at the mouth. watch for leeches if your waderless.

Another great creekmouth on the grand is east on highway 54 ( left at the lights in caledonia , drive past the fairgrounds ) , till on the right side you'll see a park called Senica park, mouth of a small creek there is a feeding spot for some nice bass and walleye.

unfortunately the Trout dont go far up the boston/Mckenzie creek systems anymore since there was a major Soap spill from a local Gypsum factor/mine that spilled gallons of soap into the waterway during a spring trout run. needless to say not many trout lived to remember their birth creek, although i imagine some still find there way up there.

Bass , pike , carp and the occasional bowfin in the creeks there, definately a fun spot if you like sight fishing for smallies.

Guest Big Bass Rich

Overfished? Definitely.

Lots of fish? Definitely.

If you can stand shoulder-to-shoulder fishing, it can be a great fishing spot.

Guest Rockfish

Used to fish the dam alot yrs ago, but got too crowded for me, some nice fish in there Spring and Fall, lots come up from Erie. Rocks get real slippery around there out in middle and I've taken a few falls but just got a bit wet under the neoprenes. :lol:

:angry:

Guest Jeetmuck

Very nice pics. I have to admit it is a lot of fun to get out there and wade around looking for the pools and such a variety of species to be had. Haven't been up there in awhile but I like to forgo the crowds and usually head down river. Hopefully the mooneye fishing was like last year, they are a lot of fun tuning up for those rockets.

Some great replies here and I have to agree with those who have commented about the fishing AWAY from the dam. I don't know why people put up with shoulder-to-shoulder fishing when a 5 minute walk downstream still puts you where the fish are but the fisherman aren't.

I enjoy the fishery, and like Jeetmuck, got into the Mooneye last year. Fast little fish and great fun on light equipment.

i like fishin the dam it's pretty new to me and i rarely fish right at the dam i kinda do my own thing and fish the spots no one else is even looking at. i would rather caught 15-20 smallies rather then 2-3 bigger ones, i like quanity rather then quality. fishing that part of the grand reminds of elora and fergus just a bit bigger. is there any way i can see what the water level is like now i might drive there after dinner tonight and fish till dark.

Guest FisherNick

Hit the dam today.

Took my neighbor with me so nothing fancy I figured I'd get him into cats or something. Well I was the only one to catch, I got three bull heads (small), a sheephead, and a nice size catfish (about 2-3lbs).

The water is VERY HIGH for this time of year. It was still wadeable but barely.

All fish were caught on minnows and worms.

Cheers

Nick

Guest Rockfish

heeh snazzy website, wonder who made it..

lolz

:lol:

Think it was some dude holding a Sheepie. :D

Thanks for the report Nick, I also used to fish on the sides of the island and have caught a few Walleyes there in the Spring.

lol

yea water levels still up ,

its good for the fish but bad for the fisherman this time of year

the big fish dont seem to be holding in the current right now, anything ive pulled out of the grand in the last month that was of any size to note was in the slack waters down by the mill or the slower moving water along the shoreline by the oasis burger place.

lots of small fish around still, but damned the big ones are being ellusive.

Guest FisherNick

I've had the same problem this year too FCM.

Asides from decent cats, it seems that nothing is holding in the fast water.

Could be due to the current being far to strong for this time of year (caused by the high water levels).

Will report next time I head up that way.

Archived