Spoon Chuckers

Hellfish

Just curious as to what kind of reels u guys use to chuck spoons or to float with, just looking for some recommondations on a good reel to use in the winter in the lower niagara and to possibly use year round. Unfortunatly not talented enough for fly fishing yet. :Gonefishing:

I floatfish with a Millionaire CVZ baitcast reel and a 1263 Loomis GL3 and chuck spoons. jigs and spinners with a Daiwa Viento and a 9'6" Fenwick Techna casting rod. I run crankbaits, Hot shots and Kwikfish on pencil lead with a 9' fenwick HMG spin rod and Penn Prion spinreel. The Niagara is a fun place where multiple methods work and maintain a high fun factor. I'm always amazed and frequently dismayed by the crew that only floatfishes the Niagara with pins and bait. Seems unbelievably boring to me. Snidely.

I floatfish with a Millionaire CVZ baitcast reel and a 1263 Loomis GL3 and chuck spoons. jigs and spinners with a Daiwa Viento and a 9'6" Fenwick Techna casting rod. I run crankbaits, Hot shots and Kwikfish on pencil lead with a 9' fenwick HMG spin rod and Penn Prion spinreel. The Niagara is a fun place where multiple methods work and maintain a high fun factor. I'm always amazed and frequently dismayed by the crew that only floatfishes the Niagara with pins and bait. Seems unbelievably boring to me. Snidely.

Not boring at all!!!! How is hooking into 25-50 fish a day boring....maybe its just me but a centre pin is the way to go. I have tried float fishing with a spinning real...its how I learned....but the hookup percentage can be alot less! There is abit of technique to using a centre pin....keeps you constantly busy! Plus using 6 pound test with a 4 pound lead is alot more fun on a 13 foot rod than with 10-12 pound test on an 8-9 foot rod!

I keep it pretty simple..med action spinning outfit with a good reel...I like my Quantum..really smooth drag on it..when I fish down in the lower I pretty much pack light as i do alot of hiking around, and the way back up is a real treat if you have tonnes of stuff with you

alot of good info, thanx. This will be the first year for me down there. Just got the float suit and a 11ft ugly stick(25.00) and a shimano sahara 2500fb nice reel so cant complain. im heading down this weekend so we will see what happens.

Archived